Old 12-21-2012, 04:37 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default Best 69 GTO fuel sending unit?

It looks like the sending unit on my 69 GTO took a poop. Its reading 2500 ohms and needless to say the fuel gauge is stuck on full.
I heard the repos are lousy quality and dont read accurate.
Does anyone know if GM still makes this item? Its has a vapor return line since it has AC.
I tried to do a search at the GM parts web site but none go below 1980.
Anyone have the GM part # for these?
Thanks in advance.

Old 12-21-2012, 04:40 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I replaced the fuel sender in my '69 GTO a few years (7?) ago with a repop - it seemed to work fine.

Also - there are some AC/Delco senders on ebay right now (just checked).. search for "fuel sender GTO pontiac"

Old 12-21-2012, 06:15 PM
Ultimate Warrior

getmygoat-Thanks for the E-Bay tip. By the way, do you remember what brand that repo you used was?

Old 12-21-2012, 07:17 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Another option if originality is not a concern, is the RobbMc unit. It has a larger outlet (1/2") and is available with a return also. I just bought one (not installed yet) and looks like a quality unit.

Oshawa built 1 option Judge basket case. 463, SD KRE 295's, CNC'd factory intake, Cliff's Qjet, Stump Puller HR cam, RARE RA manifolds, Pypes exhaust, T56 Magnum, McLeod RXT clutch, 3.42 12 bolt. 24 year project almost done...
Old 12-21-2012, 07:40 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrennie View Post
Another option if originality is not a concern, is the RobbMc unit. It has a larger outlet (1/2") and is available with a return also. I just bought one (not installed yet) and looks like a quality unit.
I saw that but my fuel line is 3/8.

Old 12-21-2012, 09:29 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I bought a AC off ebay.Was still made in China.No problem at all.Tom

Old 12-21-2012, 10:37 PM
Ultimate Warrior

From what I've heard, the repops work well but may not last 40+ years like the originals...maybe more like 2~3 years.
I've got a new one in my '68 and another in my '66 and both work well..so far. The one in the '68 is a Spectra unit and the '66 is from Tamraz. If it's worth anything, the Tamraz unit looks more like an exact copy of the original.

One other item...Take a look at the 'sending unit' sticky topic in the electrical issues forum. A very common problem with the originals is corrosion where the ribbon cable attaches to the positive post on the sender. If that's the problem with yours and it's otherwise in good condition, you may want to fix it. It's just a matter detaching the ribbon cable, cleaning the contact area and re-staking it in place.
If you just want the Cliff's Notes version, jump straight to post #26.

Old 12-22-2012, 12:02 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Reid View Post
From what I've heard, the repops work well but may not last 40+ years like the originals...maybe more like 2~3 years.
I've got a new one in my '68 and another in my '66 and both work well..so far. The one in the '68 is a Spectra unit and the '66 is from Tamraz. If it's worth anything, the Tamraz unit looks more like an exact copy of the original.

One other item...Take a look at the 'sending unit' sticky topic in the electrical issues forum. A very common problem with the originals is corrosion where the ribbon cable attaches to the positive post on the sender. If that's the problem with yours and it's otherwise in good condition, you may want to fix it. It's just a matter detaching the ribbon cable, cleaning the contact area and re-staking it in place.
If you just want the Cliff's Notes version, jump straight to post #26.
Thanks for the tip. Interesting thread.

Old 12-23-2012, 10:53 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Bruce,
I believe the AC part number is 6428035. Jim

Old 05-20-2013, 07:57 PM
Ultimate Warrior

just installed the Original Parts Group unit (#PZ00732) from Summit in my 66 Lemans. Gas gauge reads 3/4 with full tank. Gas gauge worked with the old unit so I have to assume it is this high end Taiwanese product that is causing my problem.

Not happy that once again I need to run off 3/4 tank of gas, take it apart, bend the float down further (per Summit), put it back together, fill the tank again and see if it works this time....

http://www.gogtoaa.com/leibys%20rides.html
Old 05-20-2013, 08:21 PM
Ultimate Warrior

page 139 in the PY catalog has several

Old 05-20-2013, 09:11 PM

I put one in mine from NPD. Worked fine and accurate for 1 tank then when i filled tank, guage did not move 'till a few miles down the road. Today it read below 1/4 tank and only took 9 gal to fill. Hate hat it doesn't read right.

Old 05-21-2013, 06:45 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I recommend the repro that Auto City Classic sells. They make
one out of stainless steel. I have one in my car and it works perfectly. I also
have one of their show quality stainless steel gas tanks in my car. Love them both!

Old 05-21-2013, 09:35 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Just for future reference guys...it's always a good idea to be aware of the resistance range of the particular car's sending unit before installing it. Get an ohm meter and check it. Make sure 'up is up' and 'down is down' if you know what I mean....also, make sure it reads the full range in regards to resistance. That way, if it needs bending, you can do all that before going through the trouble of putting the tank back up into position..
In other words, make sure that the physical movement of the arm is not restricted by the constraints inside the tank and make sure that the movement that the tank allows, covers the full resistance range while it's in the tank. Also, make sure that as the movement goes 'up', resistance goes up and vica versa. Otherwise, you'll wind up readinf 'empty' with a full tank and 'full' with an empty tank...Yes, I've had one like that. Had to rotate the arm 180 degrees.
You can do all of this right on your workbench with a cheap ohm meter.

Old 05-23-2013, 06:32 PM
Ultimate Warrior

That's a good tip......it's way easier to check it with the tank down
than to find out later somethings wrong!