The Body Shop TECH General questions that don't fit in any other forum

Old 07-19-2016, 03:32 PM
Senior Chief

Default Trunk dropoff install without tail pan removal

Hi everyone,
I'm trying to install a new driver side full quarter panel, trunk floor dropoff and outer wheel house on my 1969 firebird. The quarter panel, dropoff and tail panel seem to all be spot welded to together. Is there any way of doing this repair without removing the tail panel?

Regarding the outer wheel house--the original has its flange sandwiched between the inner wheel house and some kind of inner support structure. I know I should have just cut the rusted part out and sectioned in the new outer wheel house...but I cut the whole thing off. Now...other than breaking all the spot welds holding the 3 pieces of metal together, is there any way to install the outer wheel house?

Thanks

Old 07-20-2016, 10:04 PM
Senior Chief

So...nobody has run into this predicament?

Old 07-21-2016, 01:10 PM

I can't answer for a firebird, but I just did this on my 66 lemans. I did not have to remove the tail panel. Just cut the old drop off as close as possible to the tail panel then either drill or grind down the spot welds to remove the rest.