Pontiac - Street No question too basic here!

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 09-03-2021, 02:41 AM
Suspended

Default 1967 428 ci Block vin and block installation Date in Vehicle

I am painting my engine block and have uncovered the Block Vin and Block installation Date. I think

the block installation date installed into a Vehicle would be the number in question here. How do

I read this Information. Inserting a photo of the location of both that and the vin number. Also I

made a clear drawing so there won't be any confusion, if the photo image is not suitable. I bought

the 1967 Pontiac 428 ci that is installed in a 1979 Pontiac TA, as a second hand project so I don't

no what the original Vehicle the motor belongs with. Please help me decode this mystery , It's been

7 years trying to figure it out. The number in the upper left corner is upside down why? Sideways

"P" means what? Block EUN upper right is understandable # 538897. YK code is Automatic 4bbl. Block

cast date code is D127 April 12 1967. Block 428 ci is # 9786135 . My research tells me that there

are 1024 YK code 428 ci HO Pontiac engines produced in 1967.They are designated as Special

Equipment and I want to no why?Now I pulled out recently a very worn out cam # 524886.This motor

has Tri-power Rochester carbs. I want to no if any body else that has the YK code ever pulled out a

cam like the one I pulled. This cam is known as a Tri-power exclusive cam from the factory.

Question is : Special Edition Mean, in my case # 524886 cam, Tri-power carbs. , y-branch exhaust

manifolds.We no that Pontiac stopped putting Tri-power on all but Corvetts and Corvair at some

time. We no that Tri-power was not offered in 1967.So mine is a 1966 intake and GTO carbs. with a

TH 400 Automatic Trans. The cam is 50's -60's and the carbs. are 65-66. All I can say is that I

have speculated on this for years but I have no proof , so I will leave it up to the forum for now

thank you in advance .Michael.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Mikes Block Vin Photo  4.jpg
Views:	307
Size:	71.3 KB
ID:	572365   Click image for larger version

Name:	Mikes Block Vin Photo  5.jpg
Views:	305
Size:	68.8 KB
ID:	572364   Click image for larger version

Name:	Mikes Block Vin Photo 1.jpg