Old 04-14-2013, 04:02 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Default 67 Firebird W/clutch fan

I have a 67 bird that has a 65 389 under the hood. I'm moving up to Maine and last week trailered it up there from GA. Once I got there and fired it up I noticed my fan wasn't turning with the belts. I've driven it in the cold temp but never noticed this before. It was in the mid 40's to low 50's. Is it normal for the fan not to lock up and be to the point you can hold it while the engine is running or is my clutch shot?
What kind of fans do you guys like to run? Clutch, flex or electric?

Old 04-14-2013, 05:23 PM
Suspended

That is the way it's designed, when it's cold here when I had any of my cars in the winter, at least when I was young & drove them to school we use to bet the other kids at school that we could hold onto the fan while the engine was running & always came away with the money & a very strange look on the other guys face. But yes the fan as the car gets hopt will lock up & then cool the engine down when it comes up to temp. Don't try to hold the fan after it's up to running temp. you'll end up with hands that are all cut up & a free trip to the hospital.

Old 04-15-2013, 10:27 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Thanks that's what I figured but just never noticed it before.