Old 09-06-2007, 12:06 AM

Default Early 70s Radio questions

Could someone here tell me for sure if the 70 - 75 radios are all physically the same? I've done a search here and what I can find suggests that all of the AM, AM/FM & stereo units for these years are interchangable with only small cosmetic differences such as the Delco script. I'm looking to replace the aftermarket Kenwood with something stock looking. Since my car originally came with only an AM and I want to at least have AM/FM, complete originality, correct part number etc. aren't a concern.

However, I've been talking with a radio dealer who insists that the 1970 radio is different from 71 and up. He says 1969 and 1970 Firebird radios had extra long black pushbuttons on them. They were the only radios that had the long pushbuttons. 1971 and up used the shorter black pushbuttons much like the GTO. The fact that he says 69 & 70 have this difference makes me think he is confusing the carryover 69 model Firebird which I think was labelled 1970 until the "70 1/2" cars were released. The fact that the 70 and up dashes are all the same makes me wonder why you would need the longer buttons of the 69.

Old 09-06-2007, 06:28 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I believe your radio shop owner is wrong.I know this for sure on the AM radios.I just finished having an original,with delco dated stickers,set of 1970 and 1971 AM radios restored.They were identical except for the stickers.. hope this helps.
And for what it is worth. Pontiac offered two versions of the AM/FM radios during this period.They had an AM/FM MONO and a AM/FM STEREO.. I have heard both,completely restored, and teh STEREO version actually sounds quite respectable.I would look for the stereo version. If you need my restorers name/number PM me.I know he always has a few of these for sale..

Old 09-06-2007, 12:23 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by 70RAlll
I believe your radio shop owner is wrong.I know this for sure on the AM radios.I just finished having an original,with delco dated stickers,set of 1970 and 1971 AM radios restored.They were identical except for the stickers.. hope this helps.
And for what it is worth. Pontiac offered two versions of the AM/FM radios during this period.They had an AM/FM MONO and a AM/FM STEREO.. I have heard both,completely restored, and teh STEREO version actually sounds quite respectable.I would look for the stereo version. If you need my restorers name/number PM me.I know he always has a few of these for sale..

What he SAID!

Old 09-06-2007, 12:47 PM
Ultimate Warrior

The radios were the same from '70-77. The only differences are the location and style of the Delco logo on the dial face.

Old 09-06-2007, 09:45 PM
Ultimate Warrior

the price seem steep for the am/fm? there are companys who do conversions, so your am radio becomes a am/fm, still has the am dial though.
Also, and dont laugh, I did this for years, pop a fm converter in the glove box!!
Poor has a way of getting it done, somehow!!

Old 09-06-2007, 11:03 PM

Thanks for the info gentlemen! I kind of thought he was mistaken as I couldn't see ANY reason for the buttons to be a different length when the dashes are the same. I've run into this situation before where the "69/70" and the "70 1/2" get dealers confused. Really, I wouldn't expect him to know these little quirks. Probably his reference material just spells out 1970 and that's it. Glad I asked as imagine my surprise if I tried to install the one with the extra long buttons.

70RAIII I will PM you as it never hurts to check around and see what's available.

Old 09-06-2007, 11:03 PM
Ultimate Warrior

nothing like the old fm convertor that you pop into the 8-track player. still have one of those floating around somewhere.

Old 09-06-2007, 11:06 PM

Formulabruce: Yes, I actually think there might be one of those old Radio Shack FM converters somewhere in my parent's basement. I guess that would really make my car authentic 70's then.