THE LOBBY A gathering place. Introductions, sports, showin' off your ride, birthday-anniversary-milestone, achievements, family oriented humor.

Old 06-16-2020, 05:13 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default When to wash your hands of it?

I had my original master cylinder rebuilt by a reputable company. A couple of months later it started to leak. They said send it back and if was something they messed up on then I only had to pay shipping one way. Ok.....so i sent it back and they pressure tested it and it leaked. They redid it and now a couple of months later its leaking again. I contacted them and they said the same thing,,if the issue is on them then I only pay one way. This thing is getting expensive and a pain of on and off the car multiple times. I wrote back saying why do i have to pay if its not my fault? I didn't receive an answer. If I go through this again and it leaks again now what? I believe they did a sleeve as part of the original rebuild.

Old 06-16-2020, 05:49 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Brake master cylinders can get you killed when they malfunction.......put a new one on the car and quit messing around with it. I replaced my original master cylinder on my GTO in 1974 and have not missed it since.

Old 06-16-2020, 06:52 PM
Suspended

If they can't get it correct after try #2, then I'd call it quits and write up a bad review which can really hurt them and save others from the same fate and costs you have experienced.

Then decide if you want to find another rebuilder or install a different MC and put the original in a box and be done with it.

Old 06-16-2020, 06:58 PM
Ultimate Warrior

FWIW, I had a customer that had sleeves put in the 4 piston calipers on a 67 GP convertible to keep the castings original. He was trying to replicate the sleeving of the corvette calipers that were popular at the time, having stainless sleeves put in.

After installing the pistons and seals, I installed the calipers (that he had sleeves made for and pressed in), and bled the system. I was going to take the car for a ride, and backing it out of the garage the pedal slowly went to the floor and brake fluid started pouring out of the front wheels. The sleeves pushed out from the castings, and fluid of course leaked out...........

That's the one, and only experience I've had with sleeving brake parts, never again.

I'm under the impression that it can be done, if the shop knows what they're doing. Having a background in working on aerial lift field I've seen many cylinders sleeved to save one, Sometimes it's an obsolete part that is no longer available. Some aerial lift companies buy up obsolete NOS cylinders to save money on parts, but they are many times already out of production. Hydraulic shops put sleeves in cylinders all the time, putting sleeves in hydraulic cylinders to save cast cylinders. There's more to it than making a sleeve to fit in a casting, and pressing it in. The liability that goes with the operation is not worth the risk, in my opinion. The OP can make his own decision.

1984 Grand Prix

100% Pontiacs in my driveway!!! What's in your driveway?

If you don't take some of the RACETRACK home with you, Ya got cheated

Last edited by Sirrotica; 06-16-2020 at 07:09 PM.
Old 06-16-2020, 07:01 PM
Ultimate Warrior

My original in my SD leaking, I just bought one at NAPA. It worked. I kept the original sometime in future have some one put a bushing in interior. Never used them but 'heard' White Post restorations does good work.My 2cts.

Last edited by sdbob; 06-16-2020 at 07:11 PM.
Old 06-16-2020, 07:14 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Seems like they used to make oversize kits for them. I don't know much about sleeving but my experience has been that very careful and thorough honing does wonders for a MC.

Old 06-16-2020, 07:44 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I'd be willing to try one more time but I'm not paying any more shipping and it doesn't sound like they are either. Like I said a well known restoration company in these items. I see ames sells new ones that have the bleeders on the MC for the correct look of a 70. Guess I'll call it done and get the ames one.

I tried once to hone and rebuild a couple of wheel cylinders,,,,didn't work for me,,,major leak.

Old 06-16-2020, 07:47 PM

Get a refund.

Clearly they can’t handle the work you need done.

Get your credit card company involved if need be.

Old 06-16-2020, 07:53 PM

I ended up replacing my master cylinder with a new one. I would have liked to rebuild the old one but I did know anyone in my area that could rebuild them it would have needed a sleeve I would think. It is such a big crap shoot when it comes to buying new parts even when you think you are buying top of the line. I kept track of all the bad parts I got while building my gto and it is half a page long. Real irritating when you have replace something cause it's crap. Just because it is new does not make it good. I know it sucks having to bleed a brake system when nice painted surfaces are involved. Hope you get it straightened out!

Old 06-16-2020, 08:12 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I have had master cylinders, calipers and clutch slave cylinders sleeved by White Post Restorations. That's the only place I have used. I use their services when new parts are not available, generally on imported, low production cars. They have been 100% leak free for me. Last work done was on a 71 Panterra. Company that made the Master Cylinder made 400-500 units and went out of business. You can adapt a Ford MC on the car or sleeve the old one. Customer wanted OE look.

Old 06-16-2020, 09:55 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by 70gtojosh View Post
I ended up replacing my master cylinder with a new one. I would have liked to rebuild the old one but I did know anyone in my area that could rebuild them it would have needed a sleeve I would think. It is such a big crap shoot when it comes to buying new parts even when you think you are buying top of the line. I kept track of all the bad parts I got while building my GTO and it is half a page long. Real irritating when you have replace something cause it's crap. Just because it is new does not make it good. I know it sucks having to bleed a brake system when nice painted surfaces are involved. Hope you get it straightened out!
https://brakeandequipment.com/
FYI. Hopefully still in business...

Old 06-16-2020, 10:07 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Look at the PirateJack.com website. They have master cylinders galore at very reasonable prices.... under the catalog prices.You can't go wrong. That's where mine came from when I did the disc brake conversion on my 66 GTO. Just make sure you let them know if you have power brakes or not. If I ever need another one, that's where I buy it from.

Gary
Get in, ShuT Up, Hang On!
Member of the Baltimore Built Brotherhood
MY GTO built 4th Week of March 1966
"Crusin' Is Not A Crime"
Keep yer stick on the ice.
Old 06-17-2020, 02:24 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Default Actually it's piratejack.net

piratejack.net

Old 06-17-2020, 08:38 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I dont like bashing a vendor unless they really deserve it. Doesnt sound like it in this case. May be just a bad core that wont work properly, cant blame them for trying. As far as keep paying for the shipping, I think I would have tapped out the first time. I had a brand m/c bad out of the box. I contacted the company, since I had the new part on the shelf for over a year before I used it, no dice on any warranty. Fine, I went to NAPA and got one off the shelf. It failed too. Took it back for an exchange and that one has been working fine since, for at least 4 or 5 yrs now.
I was just about ready to send my 79 unit out for a rebuild, but after reading this I think I will just get a new one.

Old 06-17-2020, 09:05 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by TAKerry View Post
I dont like bashing a vendor unless they really deserve it. Doesnt sound like it in this case. May be just a bad core that wont work properly, cant blame them for trying. As far as keep paying for the shipping, I think I would have tapped out the first time. I had a brand m/c bad out of the box. I contacted the company, since I had the new part on the shelf for over a year before I used it, no dice on any warranty. Fine, I went to NAPA and got one off the shelf. It failed too. Took it back for an exchange and that one has been working fine since, for at least 4 or 5 yrs now.
I was just about ready to send my 79 unit out for a rebuild, but after reading this I think I will just get a new one.
Yes me too,,, that's why I didn't mention the company name on here. Im sure they usually do a good job but this was the 1st time I had used them. If it looked like it was in bad shape and may not take to a rebuild well I wish they would of just said that if that was the case. Like I said I guess Im going to bag it up and throw it in the cabinet and get a new one. Was just trying to keep as many original parts that I have left. Not a big deal. I just cant see spending any more money on it when it could very well leak again .

Old 06-17-2020, 11:59 AM
Senior Chief

Used white post once on a Original MC and it leaked after rebuild. They rebuilt it again on my dime for shipping. It came back and it’s still in the box as I got one from Autozone.

Old 06-21-2020, 11:04 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by GT182 View Post
Look at the PirateJack.com website. You can't go wrong.
Did you install your kit yourself? I bought a rear disc conversion kit from PJ described as a "bolt-on" installation and would never deal with them again. I don't mind mentioning them by name here either as my experience was terrible.

The furnished rotors would not fully seat on the axle flanges. Pirate Jack's tech guy advised "Oh yeah, you have to machine a radius on the axle flange for them to fit." I just had new bearings and seals pressed on the axles and the machine shops in my area would not turn the flanges without first removing the new seals and bearings. So it cost me 2x for bearings and seals plus the machining.

The tabs furnished to retain the rear axle brake hard line ends had no way to be mounted. I had to welded them to the rear axle housing. Pirate Jack's tech guy advised "Oh, just drill the brackets and rear axle tubes and screw them on." I told them we're not talking sheet metal here. I would have to drill and tap the holes and what keeps the metal shavings out the rear axle?" The guy replied "Oh. You could use hose clamps instead ." Also, no mention in the instructions about where to terminate the hard lines but the furnished brake hose length dictated somewhere inboard of the axle housing flanges, requiring the hard lines to be shortened and re-flared. Yep, bolts right on, just make sure you have a lathe, welder and a flaring tool in your tool kit.

Both rear calipers and master cylinder had visible fluid leaks. They sent replacements and the replacement calipers both leaked and master cylinder had an internal leak and would not bleed fully. I threw in the towel and bought my calipers and master cylinder at Autozone. One of those calipers leaked but an OTC exchange was much better than mailing the crap back to PJ and waiting 2 weeks for replacements again. In summary, the only Pirate Jack furnished parts that were usable and remain on the car were the rear rotors, brake hoses, hard line clips (after welding), brake pads and caliper brackets. It was a complete waste of time and money.

If I learned anything, besides avoiding pirates, it is when it comes to brake hydraulic parts, you must buy these parts locally with lifetime warranty and over-the-counter exchange. The failure rate on these remanufactured parts has to be very high.

Last edited by NeighborsComplaint; 06-21-2020 at 11:43 AM.