Pontiac - Race The next Level

Old 12-29-2023, 12:53 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Default .875 Solid roller lifter for stock block 455

Hey everybody and happy holidays,

I am looking for a set of .875 Solid roller lifters for a stock block 455 And I realize there much like hens teeth or unicorns to find – LOL.

Thank you and take care, Craig

Old 12-29-2023, 01:31 PM
Senior Chief

Hi there and happy holidays to you. I take it that you had your lifter bores machined to accept .875 dia lifters ? Isn't that a Ford size ? Who and how did they do the machining ? I've heard that BAM would make oversize diameters but not sure. I am interested in this because I have a block that has worn lifter bores. Thanks.

John

Old 12-29-2023, 01:34 PM
Ultimate Warrior

We ran .875, .903. .927 from Crower. You would need to call them and talk to then directly to really get an ETA on exactly what you need. Pin pressure oiling, needle or bushings, push rod seat offsets. I would start there.

Old 12-29-2023, 02:12 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Ford lifters bands are too low to work - the SBF lifters I had opened the oil band on base circle - zero oil pressure.
Isky had some custom leftover lifters for SBC at .875 just barely worked - still leaked oil pressure.

Old 12-29-2023, 02:39 PM
Senior Chief

Yes, I was just refering to the diameter, wasn't sure what all brands were that size. I would call BAM or sombody else as mentioned to get the Pontiac length in that diameter and options.

So was the cost to enlarge the lifter bores a resonable cost ? If you don't want to say thats ok. I know sometimes special tooling is required.
Thanks .

John

Old 12-29-2023, 02:58 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Offset pushrod seat or standard?

Old 12-29-2023, 04:07 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Standard

Old 12-29-2023, 04:21 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

I only did that because the machine shop that I was working with had done all the machine work for the short block and then told me the lifter bores were too big. Given my money and resources I had to look to going to a larger lifter bore. It was an expensive nightmare and required the machinist insisting upon having a actual blueprint and their saying that they might not be a double to do it because of casting to thin or because it could catch an edge and crack the cast-iron. Right now my needing rebuilt or replaced Isky lifters built for a small block Chevy just barely are adequate for oil control given the lower oil band location for Chevy lifters.

So if you're connected with a good machinist, have the special tooling and their willing to work with you Then it could be okay.

Old 12-29-2023, 05:22 PM
Senior Chief

Thanks for the answer Craig, same boat I'm in. Best of luck to you. Sorry to sidetrack your thread.

Old 12-29-2023, 07:03 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

BB70 - glad you asked and will let you know how the search goes with all the companies contacted.

The Following User Says Thank You to CraigG. For This Useful Post:
Old 12-29-2023, 08:02 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I had my lifter bores bushed with bronze bushings.Never had a issue with that block.FWIW

Old 12-30-2023, 02:05 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Tom S,

I would be very interested in your experience - Please tell as much as you can.

Thanks, Craig

Old 12-30-2023, 02:23 PM
Ultimate Warrior

This was the block
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0102.jpg
Views:	113
Size:	42.5 KB
ID:	625739  

Old 12-30-2023, 02:35 PM
Ultimate Warrior

This was a block I found and decided to build it.The shop thought we should bush the lifters.This block was a discarded block.When the bores were machined some of the bores blew out.The shop found granite tubes correct diameter and was able to weld them back up.After,the remachined and the bronze bushings were installed.After fixing other casting issues the block was built and still lives a good RA V life.They make fixture that fits the valley to locate the bores properly.Tom

Old 12-30-2023, 03:39 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Thank you Tom. That is interesting and looks like an aluminum block?

Old 12-30-2023, 04:14 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Yes,i have owned a few of them,built 2.Tom

Old 12-30-2023, 04:30 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom s View Post
This was a block I found and decided to build it.The shop thought we should bush the lifters.This block was a discarded block.When the bores were machined some of the bores blew out.The shop found granite tubes correct diameter and was able to weld them back up.After,the remachined and the bronze bushings were installed.After fixing other casting issues the block was built and still lives a good RA V life.They make fixture that fits the valley to locate the bores properly.Tom
The most popular fixture for this purpose is the BHJ Lifter True machining kit. It does a nice job, but like all specialty fixtures, there is a considerable buy in cost. The basic kit is universal and around $4000.00. Then you buy a step-up kit for every engine family you want to machine for bushings at an additional cost of $1000.00-1500.00 depending if the lifters are in line or off-set like a BBC. Then you need the core drill and reamers and a bushing hone. The fixed stone hone is around $1000.00 The core drills and reamers around $300.00. Then the bushings at about $15.00-18.00 each. It's an expensive ordeal to install 16 bushings. If done in a vertical mill, it will need to be trammed-in before use and you need a mill with a riser. Start to finish it's a full day of work to install a set of 16. I have never done 16 on a Pontiac stock block. I have done 8 iron aftermarket blocks and 3 aftermarket aluminum blocks.

Old 12-30-2023, 05:09 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Mike,the guy that saved this block was amazing.He had to pin a few leaks,the big deal was the place on the drivers side of the valley that takes oil down to the dizzy was a void.Gene made a stainless tube and found a way to press it in and then make a flair fitting to flair it inside and outside.He then put the block in a tank of 180 degree water and ran block sealer through the whole block.He also did the alu block that was part of a complete alu engine at M/Ts.It was stamped 8v370 but had 3in mains.It was designed to run bare alu like the Vegas.Gene sleeved it and I think we wound up like 366 CI.He sealed that block also.His name was Gene Ohole(spelling)He past away a couple years go.Tom

Old 12-30-2023, 07:35 PM
Ultimate Warrior

You had an extraordinary, rare aluminum Pontiac block and a guy with skills to match working on it. Guys like that are dying off fast and there will no one to replace them. That sealer I bet was a ceramic slurry run through the block under some pressure. I had a few blocks and several leaky Edelbrock heads fixed that way. Cost becomes no object when trying to save a piece of history. I put 8 sleeves in and had 3-4 major water cracks repaired on a numbers matching lightweight hemi car. Same deal, save the engine, cost no object.

Old 12-31-2023, 07:57 AM
Ultimate Warrior

If your gonna bore the lifters and sleeve them,wouldn't it be a good idea to install the mega brace? or either way install lifter bore brace? if you can find it. I'm just curious.
https://butlerperformance.com/c-1234...ega-brace.html

68 Firebird. IA2 block, 505 cu in, E-head, Solid roller 3650 weight. Reid TH400 4:11 gear. 29" slick.
Best so far 10.12@133 mph. 1.43 60 ft.
76 Trans am, TKX .81 o/d, 3.73 Moser rearend,
468 with KRE D-ports, Doug headers, 3" Exh.