Pontiac - Street No question too basic here!

Old 04-19-2019, 02:53 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Default Which brake shoe is the primary?

...and is it installed in the front or the rear?
I know what the shop manual shows and I tend to treat that as the bible...but interestingly enough, in my research, it's almost universally said that it's the opposite because 'that's the way that I was taught' back in the day.

Old 04-19-2019, 06:01 AM
Senior Chief

The short shoe is the primary and is installed to the front.

Old 04-19-2019, 07:55 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Frt......as stated above

1973 Firebird Navajo Orange w/shaker,1973 400/461,1972 Intake SD CNC'd,1977 Q-Jet 800 CFM w/ Cliffs Kit,Tanks Inc PA4 255 Walbro intank pump ,-8an feed/return,RobbMc Regulator,RobbMc 40 micron filter,253 CFM 6x-8's w/H.S 1:5 Roller Rockers,SD Stump Puller H/R Cam 230/236 @.050 112 lobe separation 565/.570 lift,Crower Solid Rollers,28150 Hedman Headers,3" exhaust,full tailpipes,350 Turbo,9.5" 3200 Converter,3:42 gear,8.5 posi,C/E slide-alinks,Koni adj frt shocks,Best 12.18@110.55 Lookin for 11's
Old 04-19-2019, 11:37 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Well, that's the answer I'm finding almost 100 percent of the time but the factory service manual shows the long shoe front and calls it primary. ???

Old 04-19-2019, 12:28 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Long shoe goes to the rear, regardless of how you name it.

George

Old 04-19-2019, 12:33 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I remember going through this ... but don't remember the answer .. I ended up going by the instructions included with the shoes .... which I think agreed with the shop manual.

Keep in mind which side is being represented in a photo. A straight on photo of the outside of a right side brake will show the primary shoe on the RIGHT/Front in the picture, in a picture of the LEFT side brake shoes the primary shoe will be on the LEFT/Front in the picture.

I think much of the confusion comes from people not realizing, or remember that the pictures might represent LEFT or RIGHT sides of the car.

As seen in the photos below.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Drum-Brake-Pic-1.jpg
Views:	656
Size:	57.8 KB
ID:	510543   Click image for larger version

Name:	Drum-Brake-Parts-Diagram-1.jpg
Views:	664
Size:	62.3 KB
ID:	510544  

Old 04-19-2019, 12:44 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by george kujanski View Post
Long shoe goes to the rear, regardless of how you name it.

George
That's probably the best way to remember it.

Old 04-19-2019, 01:08 PM
Ultimate Warrior

What happens if you reverse them ? Dont they grab real hard at first on apply?

Old 04-19-2019, 02:03 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Formulas View Post
What happens if you reverse them ? Dont they grab real hard at first on apply?
They're servo action, so are designed to pivot as they are applied to multiply the braking force. The short front shoe enables this servo action to work better. Non-servo action brakes of earlier cars (1930's and '40's) have all shoes the same length and the wheel cylinder moves the top of each shoe outward. Not nearly stopping power of 1950's-'70's servo action drum brakes.

Old 04-19-2019, 02:18 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Short guys to the front of the line(ing)

Old 04-19-2019, 02:58 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Well, it's unanimous.. the factory manual is wrong. It shows the right rear, primary shoe front..but it's the long one. I need to check a few other manuals. Maybe I found something the proofreaders missed..

Old 04-19-2019, 03:01 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Short to the front, long to the rear.

The "short" shoe is USUALLY thicker, softer, and lighter-colored.

The "long" shoe is USUALLY thinner, harder, and darker-colored.

The different materials provide different coefficients of friction, the soft front shoe grabs hard, wears faster, so needs to be thicker in order to have a similar service life to the rear shoe which does most of the actual braking. The soft front shoe's job is to cram the rear shoe into the drum harder than the wheel cylinder is able to.

All of this changes if we're not talking about Duo-Servo style brakes. The Leading-Trailing shoe brakes of half-ton pickups since '88, for example; or the "Citation" X-body rear brakes.

Old 04-19-2019, 04:02 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Reid View Post
Well, it's unanimous.. the factory manual is wrong. It shows the right rear, primary shoe front..but it's the long one. I need to check a few other manuals. Maybe I found something the proofreaders missed..
Quite possible they transposed a picture of a left side brake assembly and labeled it as a right side ... which would put the long shoe on the right side (front) of the picture.

Old 04-19-2019, 04:09 PM
Boost Engineer

The reason why the short shoe is in the FRONT position is because it is the shoe that activates the Braking Process.

It contacts the Brake Drum first and "Wraps around the Brake Drum Circumference.

The Rear Shoe, when the "wrap" is completed) is closest to the fixed "anchor pin" and exerts a high clamping load to the majority of the drums surface.

When the Braking Process is completed the springs pull the shoes inward and the drum then moves freely again.

THAT is why the smaller surface area shoe is toward the front of the vehicle. It does some of the work but not the majority of the work.
If you install the shoes backward you now have a smaller percentage of the braking force applied to the drum due to the smaller area.

Tom V.

Despite small distractions, there are those who will go Forward, Learning, Sharing Knowledge, Doing what they can to help others move forward.
Old 04-19-2019, 04:15 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Reid View Post

I checked the 69 and 71 manuals to compare. They show it as it should be. Looks like the 68 photo slipped by the proofreaders as you said.

1968 GTO (Thanks Mom)
2006 Silverado
2007 Cadillac SRX
2015 Chevy Express

Old 04-19-2019, 04:51 PM
Ultimate Warrior

'66 too... Different photo but same deal... Also, it couldn't be a reverse photo because the e-brake lever is to the rear ... Along with the short shoe.
I don't doubt the experience here but what the heck?
Someone else check a 68 manual and see if it's just me.

Old 04-20-2019, 04:33 AM
Ultimate Warrior

If you are talking about the photo on page 5 - 6 in the section for "standard brakes" yep, it's wrong, shows the short shoe in back.

If you look at the assembly note on page 5 - 9 it does mention the primary shoes are shorter than the secondary and that they go in front.

Reading through it reminded me ... I'm not sure that I checked my adjusting screws to make sure the proper ones were on the left and right side of vehicle. The right side adjusters front and rear have left handed threads.

Last edited by dataway; 04-20-2019 at 04:41 AM.
Old 04-20-2019, 07:13 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by dataway View Post
The right side adjusters front and rear have left handed threads.
Wow- I had no idea and may have mine on wrong sides! Does this mean if facing the passenger side wheels from the back, the star wheel is rotated cw to expand the shoes, or ccw?

'69 Firebird 400/461, 290+ E D-Ports, HR 230/236, 4l80E, 8.5 Rear, 3.55 gears
'64 LeMans 400/461, #16 Heads, HR 230/236, TKO600, 9inch Rear, 3.89 gears
'69 LeMans Vert, 350, #47 heads: Non-running project
Old 04-20-2019, 07:48 AM
Boost Engineer

If I remember correctly, It has been quite a few years since the Pontiac Dealership, (like 40+) when you stick the brake adjusting tool into the slot you grip the teeth of the adjuster wheel and the adjuster tool handle goes down on both sides to adjust tighter. Adjuster wheel goes upward. That would fit with the adjusters having right and left hand threads.
Might have it backward on the direction but do not think so.

Tom V.

Despite small distractions, there are those who will go Forward, Learning, Sharing Knowledge, Doing what they can to help others move forward.
Old 04-20-2019, 08:05 AM
Ultimate Warrior

The brakes will still apply with the shoes reversed, just not as effectively since they are the sliding-caliper design (fixed upper pin).

Later designs used two pins and were not nearly as effective as the early style, but at least you could pull the drums off after 100,000 miles and the shoes still looked nearly new.......Cliff

73 Ventura, SOLD 455, 3740lbs, 11.30's at 120mph, 1977 Pontiac Q-jet, HO intake, HEI, 10" converter, 3.42 gears, DOT's, 7.20's at 96mph and still WAY under the roll bar rule. Best ET to date 7.18 at 97MPH (1/8th mile),