Pontiac - Street No question too basic here!

Old 12-15-2014, 10:33 PM

Default Nunzi inspires viper SRT engineer

Hello all just wanted to post this up for dad they were way behind on release of this article
I apologize for picture quality. So dad and I had pleasure to meet with dick winkles one of head viper srt v 10 engineers (who also ownes some nice pontiac toys SD TA'S and a judge it was a great time to hear all the stories from dick on how pontiac and my dad inspired him to do what he loves. (How cool is it that dick said there is a little bit of pontiac in each viper engine (heard that one live at the the new viper reveal ) well just wanted to share enjoy happy and healthy holidays to all
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	297
Size:	79.8 KB
ID:	384580  

Old 12-15-2014, 10:39 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Pretty cool!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 12-15-2014, 11:05 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Called the old man today!He did not call me back!Tom

Old 12-15-2014, 11:18 PM
Ultimate Warrior

that's just too cool.

Old 12-16-2014, 08:23 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Cool!

Winner of Top Class at Pontiac Nationals, 2004 Cordova
Winner of Quick 16 At Ames 2004 Pontiac Tripower Nats

KRE's MR-1 - 1st 5 second Pontiac block ever!

"Every man has a right to his own opinion, but no man has a right to be wrong in his facts."

"People demand freedom of speech to make up for the freedom of thought which they avoid." – Socrates
Old 12-16-2014, 09:50 AM
Boost Engineer

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom s View Post
Called the old man today!He did not call me back!Tom
Deal is Tom S, you call him 20 times a month, so you make it sound like NUNZI is a bad guy which he is not. Nunzi is one of my most favorite people in the Pontiac World or The World, ...... period!

Glad to see him get some recognition for his many years of Innovation with Engines and Vehicles.

Great story how Dick Winkles finally got to meet him many years later.

I met Nunzi for the first time at Martin Michigan's US-131 race track about 25 years ago.

We wound up spending the whole day talking about Pontiacs in general, and Cams & Lifters
specifically (sitting on the tailgate of a pick-up truck in the pits).

A very SMART man who has raised some fine Children.

Tom Vaught

Despite small distractions, there are those who will go Forward, Learning, Sharing Knowledge, Doing what they can to help others move forward.
Old 12-16-2014, 04:30 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I think Nunzi has been an inspiration to all of us that can remember the "bad" old days when you PRAYED you could find an AFFORDABLE set of RAIV heads, let alone a forged crank and rods for UNDER $3,000.

Dr. Thomas Sowell
Old 12-16-2014, 05:37 PM
Senior Chief

I took a trip to visit a buddy in New Jersey (1900 miles), my first visit there. We took the subway then walked several blocks to Nunzis. This was late 80s and he was the biggest name I'd heard of in the Pontiac world so I wanted to meet him. We were pretty tired from the walk and when we walked in I asked someone if Nunzi was there. After a few minutes he walked out and somewhat rudely asked what I wanted. I said I just wanted to meet him and talk Pontiacs, he said he didn't have time and started to walk away. My buddy being from Jersey blurted out " hey this guy just came from South Dakota and walked from the subway to meet you." That seemed to change his mood a little and he came back and we talked for about 15 mins. He gave me some large stickers and that was it. My only experience with him.
SD

Old 12-16-2014, 06:39 PM
Boost Engineer

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3fastgtos View Post
I took a trip to visit a buddy in New Jersey (1900 miles), my first visit there. We took the subway then walked several blocks to Nunzis. This was late 80s and he was the biggest name I'd heard of in the Pontiac world so I wanted to meet him. We were pretty tired from the walk and when we walked in I asked someone if Nunzi was there. After a few minutes he walked out and somewhat rudely asked what I wanted. I said I just wanted to meet him and talk Pontiacs, he said he didn't have time and started to walk away. My buddy being from Jersey blurted out " hey this guy just came from South Dakota and walked from the subway to meet you." That seemed to change his mood a little and he came back and we talked for about 15 mins. He gave me some large stickers and that was it. My only experience with him.
SD
I have a similar story for you.

I went to PRI one year in Florida and was working at Bob and Frank's Display (actually the BOP and RARE stuff was also part of the All Pontiac display too).

So a guy walks up to me and starts asking a lot of questions about the future of the Pontiac Engine and what I thought about the deal from my point of view. I had seen the guy around at the races but never had a chance to talk to him personally. So we talk for over an hour.

I knew who the guy was but I thought it was interesting he was asking questions about Pontiacs.

So a few years later Lynn McCarty decides to do a RA-V engine head and gets the guy I spoke with (Tony Bischoff) involved in the project. Eventually I do some carbs for the project and Lynn sets a date for the dyno session. I drive down the night before the session. Prior to that I had talked to Tony two other times to let him know I was coming and where was a good place was to stay overnight.

So Tony had no "surprises" when I showed up the next morning.

That being said I was now AT HIS BUSINESS and HE HAD A BUSINESS TO RUN.

So we talked about 15 minutes. He said I could ask any of his people to show me any part of the place and that they would answer all of my questions. Then he left to do his work.

So 3fastgtos I would say that Nunzi actually took more time than many when you showed up "unannounced" at his shop. Plus, he gave you some large stickers that most any Pontiac Guy would love to have. I would say he treated you pretty well really as he was running a business.

Just my thought. A business vs the track or a PRI Show are two totally different things.

Tom Vaught

Despite small distractions, there are those who will go Forward, Learning, Sharing Knowledge, Doing what they can to help others move forward.
Old 12-16-2014, 07:00 PM
Ultimate Warrior

He called me back this AM!Talked to him for awhile.For being retired he is ALWAYS busy!Building 4 cyc engines,RA V and RA VI engines etc.Tom

Old 12-16-2014, 08:07 PM
Ultimate Warrior

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zYkb542laiM

POCI.org
Old 12-16-2014, 10:14 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I have been fortunate enough to talk to Nunzi a few times at the track over the years for just a few minutes each time. You certainly know you are in the presence of Pontiac royalty when near him. As I remember, he was short and direct, just his personality. Sometimes you have to be careful what you wish for when meeting your heroes. I try to meet all mine if possible and just take my chances. Some of these encounters have been life changing and beyond anything I could have ever hoped for. Arnie Beswick, Joe Mondello, Paul Newman, Mac McKellar, PJ Heck, Smokey Yunick, I wouldn't trade those encounters for anything. Others, equally famous, I won't mention, you can have them. Live every day, interact with all the movers and shakers you can while they are still around. They made our sport what it is today. I will tell you Arnie has very carefully instructed both Eric and I how to behave properly in public when your race car is blown-up and in shambles. He takes his responsibility to his fans very very seriously and is why is is one of the most loved personalities in motorsports.

Old 12-16-2014, 11:49 PM
Ultimate Warrior

The times I've called him in the past, he was usually very helpful but direct. On the subject of doing a disc brake conversion for a '64 Catalina (before I knew about Scarebird), Nunzi kept me on the phone for over a hour. He gave me part numbers, warned me about the pitfalls and demanded to know what model I was putting the disc brakes on. When I told him my '64 Catalina 2 door post, he gave me the production numbers for that model(fewer than 10,000) . Between Nunzi and Ken Crocie, I managed to keep my sanity while building my first Pontiac back in the mid 80s.

Dr. Thomas Sowell