Pontiac - Street No question too basic here!

Old 03-30-2008, 06:07 PM
Senior Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Injun
Hey Davey, you gonna make Tiger Run?
you know what dave? i think i am going to try this year, missed it last year. the first year, during the cruise the night before, a freak wind storm hit, and blew a stick into my dual electric fans, grenading one, locking it up, and damn near staring an electrical meltdown before the fusible link let go. i had to pedal her home on one fan early the day of the drags, but i made it. second year, i had the oil leak goin' good, but i said to hell with it, put a diaper under there and drover her the 3 1/2 hours anyway, but no draggin'.

i haven't made reservations or entered for the show yet, but i think i will try to make it over, and at least do the car show/dinner. i'm not sure if i'll be taking her down the track, we'll see. i have some potential fuel delivery issues to deal with, and i'm not keen on burning up this one just quite yet...

so, if all goes well, you'll HEAR me coming for sure. hopefully the only whining from me will be from the ol' 6-71 up top........

davey

Old 03-30-2008, 08:02 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

There is 4 of us driving From Alberta (Edmonton, Calgary and red Deer) All driving GTO's. I met you two years ago, and missed last year also. Hoping to drive there and dragging at the track hopefully and not getting dragged home!!! Hopefully the weather is good!! See yeah there!

1965 GTO hard top, Black with a red interior built to drive and Race best so far 1.45 60’ 8.77@164mph . 6 Speed manual transmission. MS3pro Fuel injection Multiport , 517cubes 10 to 1, 3.50 gears, CNC E-heads wideport 350CFM by Dave B. 4025lbs with driver!!94mm turbo. Winner of the Hot Rod Dragweek stick shoot out 2017!
Old 03-30-2008, 09:49 PM

Send a message via AIM to David Holmberg

Wow it was a long journey Davey, I hope the rest of the trip is a smoother ride.

Thanks for posting all the info. You and the GTO need to make it to Norwalk this year. Maybe a couple of concerts along the way to pay for it.

Old 03-31-2008, 09:06 AM
Senior Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Holmberg
Wow it was a long journey Davey, I hope the rest of the trip is a smoother ride.

Thanks for posting all the info. You and the GTO need to make it to Norwalk this year. Maybe a couple of concerts along the way to pay for it.
making it to norwalk would be awesome! shane molinari is a casual friend, he's been there the last couple years, we have the same machinist........ a long journey indeed, but hey, isn't life that way anyway? thanks for the words, a little needed at this point, getting her back on wedensday, puttin' her in on saturday, so i'll post updates as is unfolds......

thanks david,

davey

Old 04-06-2008, 01:29 AM
Senior Chief

she's back in the hole!!! well, got the motor dropped in today, had a little hassle getting the tranny mated, but what's new eh? anyway, feels good to have the two together again, it's been over a year!

waiting on my bop distributor gear, other than that, i think i have everything to get her up and running. i will probably have to wait to put on the blower, as it is a major pain to deal with the distributor when it's all on there in your way. soooo, tomorrow is finishing up the bottom end, exhaust, starter, oil filter housing, some wiring, new oil temp probe in pan. then i can put her on the ground for good, and start in on the accessories like the alternator, power steering, radiator, coolant lines, tranny lines, and miscellaneous wiring. then, when i get my dizzy gear, i will stab it, and put the blower back on.

i am still pondering some fuel supply stuff, all this talk about restrictions and fittings around here got me to thinking about changing some stuff. so, my holley mechanical is apart, for some mods on the inlet/fittings. once i get that sorted, i will once again her the rumble that i have missed so......

oh, my neighbors stopped by, and they were like, "oh dear, looks like we will be hearing the thunder on the weekends again huh." i said, "more like monday through friday, i have some time to make up behind the wheel." a courtesy laugh ensued on there part, looking oh so happy about me shaking the windows loose at 6:00 every morning on my way to work........

it's ok, she's my cousin, her dad is half owner with me on this project, they don't have a choice right? i thought you'd all agree.....
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	fresh engine.JPG
Views:	97
Size:	148.4 KB
ID:	128208   Click image for larger version

Name:	fresh engine close.JPG
Views:	139
Size:	175.0 KB
ID:	128209  

Old 04-16-2008, 08:32 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Great news that you got that bad ass ride back together again Davey !
Got distributor yet ?
Still thinking of hitting TR2008 ?
Wanna race from Boring to Government Camp ? LOL

Hey Alberta Guys!
Look forward to seeing our friends from the North @ TR2008 too
We're driving the goats down from Seattle

501 HP, 554 ft lbs TQ
12.14 ET @ 114 MPH , Supercase Muncie M22, 3:55
Suspension: HO Racing, BMR< Sykorat, and Bilsteins
Narrowed 12 bolt , 16x8 VintageWheel Works,
Comp T/As on street, MT Drag Radials @ Strip

http://www.sdperformance.com/custome...1.php?carID=42
Old 04-16-2008, 09:07 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

It will be good to meet yeah, we will be the goats with all the Bugs on them!!! Hoping to race a Madris and drive home.......drive home being key!!!

1965 GTO hard top, Black with a red interior built to drive and Race best so far 1.45 60’ 8.77@164mph . 6 Speed manual transmission. MS3pro Fuel injection Multiport , 517cubes 10 to 1, 3.50 gears, CNC E-heads wideport 350CFM by Dave B. 4025lbs with driver!!94mm turbo. Winner of the Hot Rod Dragweek stick shoot out 2017!
Old 04-17-2008, 12:56 AM
Senior Chief

got the distibutor finished, got the gear from bop, took her apart, freshened her up, and opened it up to 10 crank degrees instead of 8. i usually ride about 22 initial, and 32 all in. it was making more power at up to 34 degrees, but i'm playing it safe at 32......

i had to use the engine hoist to put the blower back on, i lost my helper, it seems there was more to do than i expected before i could put in on. i had to prelube the engine, which of course i couldn't find my pump drive tool i bought awhile back, so i carved up an old pump drive shaft with a hacksaw, ground it up real nice to fit the pump shaft, put a collar of tubing around it to keep it centered, worked like a charm. and i almost forgot to the the oil filter on. then realized i didn't have one, so off to napa, the 51049 works great, it's taller than stock, same width, fits great with room to spare with my dougs headers.......

i got oil out of every rocker no problem after bumping it over a couple of cycles. oh, i learned that my electric choke wire can burn a nice mark onto your windshield molding, don't ask me how i know.... after that was dialed, i cleaned up my plug wires, checked the plugs, and on went the cap. oh yeah, i got real lucky, distributor went in were i wanted it clocked to first stab. at least something went easy!

i put the motor at roughly 24 degrees BTDC, then i turned on the ignition, and slowly turned the distributor housing until i heard the spark pop, then i knew i had spark right at about where i set the motor. this will get me going good, until i get her timed initially.......

so, i am at finishing up linkages, hooking up boost and fuel gauges, fuel line, radiator, hoses, charge the battery and get this thing going again.

heres a couple pf pics, just so you can see how tight it is back by the distributor, hence making sure everything is jake back there before the blower goes on. there is actually more room back there than there was before i got the new blower back plate!

take care folks, probably one more update, then she breathes again.........

davey
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	distributor driver.JPG
Views:	60
Size:	194.7 KB
ID:	129546   Click image for larger version

Name:	distributor pass.JPG
Views:	64
Size:	199.7 KB
ID:	129547   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0047.JPG
Views:	72
Size:	188.7 KB
ID:	129548   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0046.JPG
Views:	97
Size:	184.0 KB
ID:	129549   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0058.JPG
Views:	129
Size:	138.7 KB
ID:	129550  

Old 04-17-2008, 02:44 AM
Ultimate Warrior

thats awesome!! i'm in portland or. too i wanna see that car run in person! you ever need any help let me know!! i'm still workin on my 490 for my gp but it won't be done for the tiger run, have to drive the ole pick up down there i guess, i have an extra eagle 4.25x3.25x2.20 i'd let go real cheap if you ever need it thrust was done by sd-perf, It's nice to see another bad a** pontiac in the northwest!

D.S.R.E. Your NW Pontiac Street/Strip Engine Builder, Specializing in Cylinder Head,Intake Manifold,and Exhaust Manifold Porting services and Building the Most Efficient stock rebuilds to Hi HP Pump Gas and Race Combinations for Pontiac,Buicks,Olds,FE Fords,385 Series and HP Gen 3 and 4 LS engines!
2006 silvy Z71 4X4,383 LS 600+hp NA
Shared Toy-66 Lemans 470cid by me 537hp 580tq-manifolds, 570hp 590tq-2"headers,custom cam,rpm intake, mild e-heads, Looks stock ;-}
Old 04-17-2008, 05:34 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Alright...get her down to Tiger Run. Bring your girl Storm too!

For GTO Celebration items click the tile coaster.
Old 04-17-2008, 07:50 PM
Senior Chief

Dude...would you hurry up??!! The suspense is killing me..

By the way, nice lamb chops. Are they like Elvis, or like Lemmy???

-Abone.

Old 04-19-2008, 03:07 PM
Senior Chief

ok, another day of fine tuning some installation. got the fuel lines on, the gauges hooked back up and mounted, all vacuum/boost lines hooked up, the radiator installed and wired,(fans), linkages dialed, and i put on a blower belt guard i bought awhile back, we'll see if it stays, let me know what you guys think.....

first pic is my fan to pulleys clearance, as you can see, there isn't a whole lot of room there, with my stock v-belts in their factory location, PLUS the 6 inches or so on top of that for the blower pulleys. i had to set the radiator forward as far as humanly possible, i don't remember how far, but it was all the way back to the core support.

i actually had a mount made by a buddy to mount the massive flex-a-lite fans to the radiator,second pic, and used two fabbed insulated stainless steel tabs to hold the radiator to the core support. i used the factory radiator insulators/mounts on the bottom, although i redrilled and moved those babies way forward too, third pic.

fourth and fifth pics, are my home made fuel lines at the carbs, and my fabbed up tubing to hold.mount the fuel pressure gauge. i 'borrowed' some swedgelock fittings from work, those mount to the carbs, and fabbed up everything fuel line orientated from 316 1/2" stainless tubing, bent it up to be one piece all the way to the fuel pump. then i spent way too much time polishing everything. i am not sure how this will all work out when i upgrade to a better fuel pump, and need a regulator and such, but for now, home made stuff it is......

ok, tomorrow i fire it up, battery is charging, radiator hoses going on in a few minutes, and a follow up tomorrow on what's what in blower land...........

davey
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	blower to fan .JPG
Views:	66
Size:	145.3 KB
ID:	129767   Click image for larger version

Name:	radiator mounts.JPG
Views:	48
Size:	160.3 KB
ID:	129768   Click image for larger version

Name:	radiator set back.JPG
Views:	53
Size:	180.1 KB
ID:	129769   Click image for larger version

Name:	fuel lines.JPG
Views:	54
Size:	190.8 KB
ID:	129770   Click image for larger version

Name:	boost fuel gauges.JPG
Views:	67
Size:	148.8 KB
ID:	129771  

Old 04-19-2008, 03:10 PM
Senior Chief

i forgot, here is some linkage shots, and the blower belt guard, whaddya think, should it stay, or should it go??????

davey
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	linkages.JPG
Views:	55
Size:	171.4 KB
ID:	129772   Click image for larger version

Name:	belt guard.JPG
Views:	198
Size:	175.3 KB
ID:	129773  

Old 04-19-2008, 03:15 PM

I like it, I like it a lot. I think it should stay.

Great work, I know you can't wait to go for the first cruise.

Waiting for the "on the road" video.

Old 04-21-2008, 12:00 AM
Senior Chief

ok. got all the remainder bits done, full of water, full of gas, full of oil, let's do this.....

well, almost had the timing right, had to fuss with her a bit, but she fired right up once i was in the neighborhood.

yes! no funny sounds, although i heard a slight whine/squeal coming from what seemed to be the blower snout, not just the belt/gear noise. but it did mellow once she warmed up a bit. got her timed at 22 initial, 34 all in, a/f ratios looked good from idle to 3600RPM or so, hanging around 13.0, oil pressure was about 30 at idle, climbed to 65 at 3000RPM, little less after warming up, oil temp at about 210F i believe. water at 180F, right where i have the fans set. headers were about 400F to 500F, everything looks good, after the paint/oil etc, burned off. she idles reeeeeal nice, got a nice lope to it, it has a p-dude cam in it.(specs later, can;t remember exactly off the top of my head....)

so, i took her out for a quick spin after all systems checked for go, man. it felt good to lay some horsepower down on the street again. everything felt good, although i didn't recall my stall feeling as high as it is, have to check tranny fluid just in case. only went about a half mile, just around the neighborhood, just to let everyone know i am back in the saddle.(i'm sure their just overjoyed hearing me again.......

back in the garage, idled a bit, ramped her up to 3500RPM to verify my timing again, then shut her down.

here is the not so fun part..............

wait for it........................

take a guess..................

i bet you have an idea..................

god damned f'ing rear main f'ing leak f'ing again f'ing 'fity f'ing F.
(insert massive rage and need to kill here..........please, so i don't actually go out and do it...............seriously.................

ok. this is a different block. this is different caps. this is a new crank, ohio. this is another new bop seal...... i will not knock the bop, but i should have stuck to my guns on insisting with the graphite rope i had from dci. i have yet to really get on it on the road and really see what's going on, but there was some good slinging of it on the cardboard, and good drips hanging from the pan. yes it's the rear main, i checked, not dripping from somewhere else. plus it was slung like usual.

so, i slammed a cold beer, sat on a barstool in my garage, and wondered why o why after so much time, money, planning, does this thing continue to bite me in the ass. oh well, the beer tasted sweet, the ride felt awesome, and i rode with that.

i got my camera, took some video, and am trying to upload it now, i have never done vids, so a crash course on putfile it is, after i couldn't figure out how to compress it on my mac to fit on my photobucket, so we'll see how this turns out if at all. i'll wait a bit before i post, hopefully it will work, and i will have a link to the beast.

so, back to topic, i ran it some more, revved it up, and it didn't seem to leak like it did earlier. i am hoping and praying that some freak of nature force will somehow slow it to a dull drip, somehow........

ok, wow, this took a long time. here is the linky, let's see if this works!!
http://media.putfile.com/blower-motor-break-in

peace out folks, time for a cold one..........

davey

Old 04-21-2008, 12:20 AM

Damn that sounds great!

Your rear main story reminds me of the same deal with Larry Davis. I bet he had his motor out 6 times before it didn't leak. So the first time it was dry he went into the house for a beer and while he was gone Ray poured a little oil under the car. Man was Larry pissed.

I hope you get it sorted out quick.

Old 04-21-2008, 12:24 AM

Unhappy

Tough one Davey.

Hang in there man.

Bart

Old 04-21-2008, 12:52 AM
Senior Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Holmberg
Damn that sounds great!

Your rear main story reminds me of the same deal with Larry Davis. I bet he had his motor out 6 times before it didn't leak. So the first time it was dry he went into the house for a beer and while he was gone Ray poured a little oil under the car. Man was Larry pissed.

I hope you get it sorted out quick.
ha! that made my day! imagining the look on larry's face when he saw the oil under there, holy cow. that is some cold blooded trickery there on ray's part......

so, i guess 6 is the lucky number? that's where i am at! well, for now, i am going to drive it, verify what is what, and go from there. if it is indeed leaking like it was before, i won't feel right about racin' it, so some fun street only driving will occur, along with more diagnosis. then, at the end of summer, i will probably yank it again, put in the rope, and call it a day.

and if it still leaks? i'll be calling on one of ya's to come steal it so i can collect my insurance and run..........

just kiddin, you made my mood swing towards the lighter side, when i get this sorted, i am going to pour oil under it and freak out my uncle with it....(half owner, partner in crime...oh, and his name is larry! perfect......)

thanks dave and bart, i am hanging in there, just wish it wasn't so much work to get that pig in and out. my back is killing me........

this thread aint' over yet..............

davey

Old 04-21-2008, 01:40 AM
Senior Chief

very nice I am getting my trans am ready for my IA2 block and Procharger.

We are neighbors...

CURRENT CARS
68 Firbird 400ci convertible
Old 04-22-2008, 01:59 AM
Senior Chief

well, i got her up on all fours today, every corner high up on jackstands so i had access to the entire underside of the car.....

drained the oil, it looked great, hardly any bits in there, a few small flakes, looks to be bearing maybe, and some very fine iron dust, and that's it. i cut open filter, it was the same, very minimal to worry about. no bunches of chewed up thrust this time, and it seems the roller cam is happy as well, so i am happy there, the motor seems to be healthy......

i brakecleened the entire under car/engine area, up in the tranny bellhousing, the block, pan, back of the motor, everywhere. this thing is bone dry and clean as a whistle underneath. i fired her up, took a little bit to keep her running, it's on the low 50's here, and i don;t have a choke plate, just the high idle portion of the linkage. anyhoo, a few belches and stalls later, she's up and running, and warming up. no oil underneath. cool. i let her really come up to heat while i got a call, about ten minutes, just letting it get all hot and warmed up. i still have a squeal, i am convinced it's in the blower, but i am not worried, my guy is a family friend, and he will make good if somethings up.....

very warmed up, no drips. it's been running a cool twenty minutes easy by now. i take her up to 3000RPM for 15 seconds, take a look under........................................ drip....drip......drip......drip.....about once a second. worse than before with the bad crank. idle, it stops. take her up to 2800, drip.......drip......drip........ right off the rear main, off of the low spot on the cap/pan. i can see great sealing between the pan and cap, the cap and block, all looks good, except when you spin it up. no boost, high vacuum actually, no blowby, i put a magnahelic in one valve cover hole, and there ain't crap for blowby. oil level is fine.

i am at a standstill with this thing. this is the 5th time. i did not get to see where the seal rides on this ohio crank, it seems the eagle crank, the lip rode right on the slinger grooves. i can't see how it would seal well riding on them.

please let me know where you bop lip sits on your aftermarket crank as far as the slinger grooves go, for comparison.

we are calling the machinist tomorrow, got some bitness to sort out for sure. i'll keep you posted.

at this point? i am going to pull this bastard out AGAIN, and do the rope seal in it myself. at least this way? i can blame ME for anything that happens from here on leak wise.

i am wondering if i can work that rope seal in there without having to tear out the crank, maybe loosen all the mains, raise it enough to get the block half in, seat it, trim it, then work the cap half on the bench. seal that baby up, and see what we have. oh, would i have to open up the sealed hole that was done for the for the bop back up? or leave it as is with silicone in it???
let me know what you think of this idea as well......

ok folks, i am tired, and am going to bed now.........

more to come, stay tuned for 'as the blower turns'

davey