Pontiac - Street No question too basic here!

Old 01-28-2007, 11:35 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I'm wondering how the he!! you added the crank gear pic to your first post without the "edit" feature popping up???

I dunno...

Old 01-28-2007, 11:38 PM

Looks like he added it to the post with the "better" pic, edited there. I guess. Hope you get 'er dialed in Darko!

Kelly

'69 Pontiac 400 YA, .060 over, stock crank, 10.2:1 comp, CAT H-beam rods, HS 1.65 rockers, Crane cam 248/252 660 lift, Edelbrock 72cc heads ported 300 cfm, Performer RPM Intake, Ruggles 800 cfm Q-jet, Summit 140 gph electric fuel pump, 12 bolt 4.10 posi, 200-4R, Transgo HD shift kit, 2800 stall, aluminum radiator, 2" MadDog Headers, DMH 3" cutouts.

12.51 et @ 111 mph
Old 01-29-2007, 12:47 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I've never claimed to be perfect here folks,even goofed in this thread here looking at the "new" pic and typed before I really looked closer (post 18),the marks on the crank gear are very hard to see in these pics,even the new pic.

But the visible marks that I can see counter-clockwise are the - marks,so looking at the solo crank gear pic the + mark is the next mark clockwise from those marks,so the + mark (advanced) has to be the mark being used to line this up currently,even though it kinda looks like a "dot" now...

But without the context of the other marks and keyways,any comments were just lucky guesses,and really without degreeing to find out for sure,they're still nothing more than guesses,as I have run into more than a few low-cost/budget multi-key crank gears that were mismarked.

Dont take anything for granted.

Old 01-29-2007, 12:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by screamingchief
I've never claimed to be perfect here folks,even goofed in this thread here looking at the "new" pic and typed before I really looked closer (post 18),the marks on the crank gear are very hard to see in these pics,even the new pic.

But the visible marks that I can see counter-clockwise are the - marks,so looking at the solo crank gear pic the + mark is the next mark clockwise from those marks,so the + mark (advanced) has to be the mark being used to line this up currently,even though it kinda looks like a "dot" now...

But without the context of the other marks and keyways,any comments were just lucky guesses,and really without degreeing to find out for sure,they're still nothing more than guesses,as I have run into more than a few low-cost/budget multi-key crank gears that were mismarked.

Dont take anything for granted.
how can I verify by degreeing w/o a cam card?

Old 01-29-2007, 01:19 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
how can I verify by degreeing w/o a cam card?
By finding the intake and exhaust opening and closing events,from there you can compute the rest.

4 cycle engine,720 degrees of crankshaft rotation to make a full engine cycle,two full rotations of the crank,and one full rotation of the cam.

There are four strokes,intake,compression,power,exhaust.

TDC/BDC for both the intake and exhaust events.

Basic engine theory.

For those that are lazy and hate math,use an online calculator like the one at wallace racing:
Just click the hotlink camcalc here.

Once you determine the intake and exhaust opening and closing points the rest falls into place more or less.

It can be done without a timing card,tedious,but possible.

Lift is even easier to determine,just measure the lobe lift and mutliply by the rocker ratio and you get the lift at the valve.

Or you can pull the cam,then you could determine the maker and the part number likely as that info is often stamped on the rear face of the cam journal.

Then you can look up the specs and often find a cam card online.

HTH.
Bret.

Old 01-29-2007, 05:52 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Oh yeah,,,JD,,,I knew there was something I had forgotten to correct you on...
Quote:
71 ventura II:
If we look at the crank gear used in a timing set and cut (8) key ways in it. Now ask yourself this question, "What happens when I use a key-way in a different location than stock?". The crank will turn a "given" amount to allow a different "tooth" of the crank-gear to be at the 12 o'clock position. We haven't cut any new key-ways into the crank, that variable, as always, stays consistent. See?
Lets look a bit closer at this little hissy fit...

Quote:
The crank will turn a "given" amount to allow a different "tooth" of the crank-gear to be at the 12 o'clock position.
This is 100% wrong!

Quote:
"What happens when I use a key-way in a different location than stock?".
Everything but the crank moves,the crank gear,the cam gear,and thus the cam,all move but not the crank,the crank remains stationary,TDC remains TDC.

That does'nt change!

The crank position is static.

Quote:
We haven't cut any new key-ways into the crank, that variable, as always, stays consistent. See?
Now ask yourself this,does that quoted paragraph make sense now???

Take your time,,,think about this,,,you've contradicted your own previous statement in that paragraph...

I see clearly,you on the other hand seem confused.

Bret.

Old 01-29-2007, 01:04 PM
Ultimate Warrior

That's fine, keep digging.

Bret, Nice "edit" you Internet Moron! Why don't you stop living on the computer, reading books, and attempting to be a professional? Try getting a car running then you might get some respect. Just being a long winded "blow-hard" doesn't make you right. You live by the "Baffle them with BS theory and deliver it in tons.

You edited your commentNice cover up) "There is NO way to degree a camshaft without multiple key ways". I called BS on you!, your the one who blew up, started crying like the girl you are, and posted the way you did.

"News FLASH" your not an expert and probably won't live long enough to ever become one!

Keep up the "name calling" little man because sooner or later, "God Willing", we will have the chance to meet in person. Then we will "clarify" exactly where you stand in the "pecking" order. Please feel free to enjoy yourself in the time being!

Old 01-29-2007, 02:14 PM
Administrator

Enough. both of you.

Old 01-29-2007, 02:59 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

The gearsets with multiple keyways always confuse the heck out of me. I set them up striaght and degree the cam with offset keys then confirm with a degree wheel and dial indicator on #1 intake lobe.

Old 02-04-2007, 11:17 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Wow - good read