Pontiac - Street No question too basic here!

Old 09-16-2005, 10:16 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Lightbulb muncie 4 speed

Are there any ajustments to the shift lickage, had to remove the console cause it wouldn't go into the gears all the way.

Old 09-17-2005, 12:21 AM

Depending on application, some of the shifters had levers on the trans with 2 holes in them where the shift rods hook in. Putting the levers in the holes closest to the nut or bolt that holds the lever on shortens up the throw which would help your problem. I don't know what shifter setup you have to know if this is your problem though.

Carl

Old 09-17-2005, 09:06 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Default Adjustment

Depends on the shifter. On the Comp Plus there is a hole you can slide a 1/4" drill bit in with all the levers in neutral. -Jim

Old 09-17-2005, 09:34 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

ksgto:

Here is what Pete Serico sent me when he refinished my shifter.

There is a 1/4 inch hole at the bottom of the Hurst mechanism that runs through all three levers, This is called the neutral alignment hole, To ensure proper adjustment, run the shifter from first into second and then back to neutral, Insert the neutral alignment pin (or a 1/4 inch drill bit)
into the neutral alignment hole, If the 1-2 lever interferes with the smooth insertion of the alignment pin, remove the 1-2 linkage rod from the shifter and thread the adjuster button either in or out to eliminate the
interference, Repeat this procedure with the 3-4 lever and reverse, ~

Hope this helps.

Larry

Old 09-17-2005, 09:48 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

According to the numbers on the transmission its a muncie and on the shifter it reads hurst that's all I know about it. I'll work on it this next week and check out the nuteral slots.thanks for the info.

Old 10-05-2005, 07:56 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Thanks for the info was able to shorten the throw what are the two bolts for, there's one in front and one in the rear of the mechanism. What's the lenght of the front yoke on the drive shaft for a 4-speed is it the same as an auto.

Old 10-05-2005, 12:59 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Thanks for the info was able to shorten the throw what are the two bolts for, there's one in front and one in the rear of the mechanism.
The bolts are to limit the "throw" on the shifter, i.e. to prevent overshifting & prevent excessive wear against the linkage & housing.

Old 10-05-2005, 02:01 PM
Suspended

The bolts are 'stops' and are to be adjusted as follows:

After performing your 'neutral alignment check' as previous ly described, remove the alignment pin and shift the transmission into first gear and hold the lever forward.

Turn in the rear stop screw until it contacts the lever. then back it out 3/4 to 1 turn.

Shift the transmission into 4th gear and hold the lever rearward. Adjust this stop screw in the same fashion.

I hope this information is helpful...Robert

Old 10-05-2005, 08:35 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Thanks for all the info on this, will try this week or weekend to get it working better will let everyone know how it comes out.