THE LOBBY A gathering place. Introductions, sports, showin' off your ride, birthday-anniversary-milestone, achievements, family oriented humor.

Old 04-16-2024, 01:47 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default pre-1969 GM keys ++

I recently got a curtis clipper via eBay;
It came with (I believe) everything to cut every kind of key, as well as a crap-ton of blanks - mostly curtis blanks, but some GM (strattek/B&S) blanks, some Ford blanks (single and double cut), and a quite literally three OE(?) Chrysler blanks.
(I don't know why I have Ford double cut blanks, because I didn't think this clipper could do double cut keys - unless I just have to cut it twice over.)

I did some searches last night, then this morning I looked a bit for posts here which might help me, and I found this one:

Quote:
Originally Posted by John V. View Post
I learned a lot about the '68 and earlier GM keys while having an ignition switch rekeyed to match the original keys for my '64 GTO.

The "base" key blank is the starting point. In my case, the blanks were B10 (ign/door) and B11 (trunk/glove box).

Your "base" key blank is RA2.

I like the Ram Air II idea but reality is, the RA2 key blank is specifically for American Motors usage. I googled it and it looks like AM used the RA2 key blank from '57 thru '69.

So very likely this key was cut for your old '69 AMX. I don't know for sure which companies produced keys for American Motors but I'm pretty certain the factory key would have likely shown AM on it so most likely this Curtis key was a hardware (or drug) store replacement. It was common for people to have duplicate keys cut on their machine that followed the key cuts on the key you had, no need to know the key code.

Somebody with an old key code book can determine the code from the cut depths on the key itself if you ever wanted to know the code.

RA2 blanks are readily available, I'm sure the locksmith shop that rekeyed my ignition switch has them in stock.
ok, so I have solved (thanks to John) the mystery of the Curtis B-10 & B-11 (brass) blanks.
But I still have a bit of a mystery;
I also have 23 NOS GM/B&S steel blanks;
These are the shape of the B-11 blanks, but have different profile, and are stamped 'D'.
I also have (but not from this auction purchase) four NOS GM/B&S brass blanks which appear to be dead-ringers for the B-11 blanks.

If I take John's post at face value, the change over was essentially 1969;
Last night's internet searches suggested that the B-10 & B-11 blanks were GM keys used from 1935 through to 1966.

Questions:

1) Do the B-10 & B-11 blanks share a profile with latter letter coded (round and square) keys? - or are they unique?

2) With these "pre-1969" 'D' keys I have here;
Did GM make the old shape keys while they were transitioning to the new style keys? - because these old style 'D' keys appear to be the same profile to GM "round" 'D' keys.

Any additional information anyone is willing to share would be appreciated.

Quite likely one of few '70 Muncie three speed Formula 400's left.

1991 Grand Am: 14.4 @ 93.7mph (DA corrected) (retired DD, stock appearing)
2009 Cobalt SS: 13.9 @ 103mph (current DD; makes something north of 300hp & 350ft/lbs)
Old 04-16-2024, 03:08 PM

This thread from the 67-72chevytrucks.com forum may help. Member LockDoc is a master locksmith and all around great guy.

https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/....php?p=9189436

Old 04-16-2024, 03:13 PM
Ultimate Warrior

adding pictures - because everyone likes pictures (and often they prompt more replies)...

These are the B-10 & B-11 keys:

Here are the B-11 style (steel) 'D' keys I have (left), and NOS B-11 type (brass) keys I previously had:

Here is the setup I have - after thoroughly sorting it all out, and relabeling the tackle spots for key types focusing on GM style blanks (extra boxed keys not shown):

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7494s.jpg
Views:	142
Size:	87.2 KB
ID:	632154   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7497sb.jpg
Views:	139
Size:	76.5 KB
ID:	632155   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7498sb.jpg
Views:	142
Size:	97.1 KB
ID:	632156  

2009 Cobalt SS: 13.9 @ 103mph (current DD; makes something north of 300hp & 350ft/lbs)
Old 04-16-2024, 03:15 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by VCho455 View Post
This thread from the 67-72chevytrucks.com forum may help. Member LockDoc is a master locksmith and all around great guy.

https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/....php?p=9189436
Nice!!

I only saw your post after my second posting...

I haven't looked through it all, and it's already helping!

Thanks!!