Old 05-22-2021, 01:40 AM

Default Deck Lid Struts

Hi All,
Has anyone fitted deck lid Struts to their vehicle? My '73 has a spoiler and the lid won't stay up. I bought a set of heavy duty torsion bars but haven't fitted them yet as they seem to be a real pain to do it.

I had a thought about fitting struts to the lid and wondered if they would work.

Any thoughts?

George

Old 05-22-2021, 09:45 AM
Ultimate Warrior

i think they make some fancy expansive struts for these cars, cant recall the company though. the torsion bars arent that difficult to install, ask some members on here that have done it or check with some body shops in your area, these are replaced quite a bit when cars are restored.

Old 05-22-2021, 10:13 AM
Senior Chief

Would probably take more effort to figure out the geometry for the struts than to just replace the torsion bars...

Old 05-22-2021, 10:54 AM
Ultimate Warrior

You only need to replace one of the torsion bars. Spoiler cars had one thicker one. I forget if it is top or bottom one. I have a rod to replace on mine. I just added spoiler and it stays up. but will fall if you bump it while up. I realized I can't change mine unless I peel back vinyl top and it being original and a keeper, I leave as is for now. In your case, change the rod. If car is painted, I would paint rod first, tape protect as needed and touch up any scratches after on.

The Following User Says Thank You to bird72 For This Useful Post:
Old 09-03-2021, 04:56 AM

Ok, thanks Formula Bruce. We have had it apart a few times and that is the you tube video we were using as a guide.
I will order a rod for the other side and then fit them both.

Old 05-22-2021, 12:29 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I have used the single strut set up. Its around 100 dollars and bolts to DS , INSIDE the seal gutter, Under the seal. The angle of the strut is adjusted by spacing the arm bracket under the gutter, in the trunk, down a tiny amount. One thing I like about it is that it lifts fully and stops. I have my deck lid on my power lock remote. I can click to open and its up and my wife doesn't have to touch it, or hold it up the rest of the way.
The trunk does NOT leak. This can be installed without messing up your paint or taking off the filler panel.
That said, when building a car I would put in the 1 stronger bar ( for pass side) .I can get you info on the strut set up if you want.

Old 09-16-2021, 07:30 AM

Ok. Here is my problem.
I ordered the RH side rod and when it arrived, it is the same thickness and angle as the larger one I had already bought for the LH side. I thought the LH (driver side) is the thicker one (for cars with a spoiler) and the thinner one is the RH (passenger) side one. I would have thought the angles would also be different.
When we say LH and RH I mean the rod that has the longer section at the end.
We watched the video and that is what they said also.

However, the cut outs where the long section of the rod clips into, is larger on the RH side than the LH side.

What is everyone's thoughts.

Old 09-16-2021, 11:31 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by fbd73 View Post
Ok. Here is my problem.
I ordered the RH side rod and when it arrived, it is the same thickness and angle as the larger one I had already bought for the LH side. I thought the LH (driver side) is the thicker one (for cars with a spoiler) and the thinner one is the RH (passenger) side one. I would have thought the angles would also be different.
When we say LH and RH I mean the rod that has the longer section at the end.
We watched the video and that is what they said also.

However, the cut outs where the long section of the rod clips into, is larger on the RH side than the LH side.

What is everyone's thoughts.
I do Not think that the smaller diameter rod is sold as a single part. I have seen a set, but I'm still not sure the small one is new.
I have that small one you can have for shipping, but I bet you can find one closer.

Old 05-23-2021, 06:26 PM

Hey, that sounds good Formulabruce. If you can send me the info on the strut set up, I can see which one will work best for me. This car is no where near original so I can do either one.

Old 05-26-2021, 12:17 AM
Ultimate Warrior

This place makes them. That said I do Not see them on their current website. See pics below.
https://www.eddiemotorsports.com/Default.asp
NOTE Part Number on my slip, its small. The car pictured is NOT mine, and probably a early second gen Camaro.
NO holes drilled in the "Boot" lid. I bet they would make them for anyone using this part number.
This can keep KEYS, and for my part it keeps my wifes fingers ( rings) off the paint

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	eddie trunk order.jpg
Views:	682
Size:	70.5 KB
ID:	567265   Click image for larger version

Name:	GasStrut1.JPG
Views:	623
Size:	66.7 KB
ID:	567266   Click image for larger version

Name:	GasStrut2.JPG
Views:	646
Size:	68.3 KB
ID:	567267   Click image for larger version

Name:	GasStrut3.JPG
Views:	648
Size:	44.5 KB
ID:	567268  

Last edited by Formulabruce; 05-26-2021 at 12:24 AM.
Old 09-16-2021, 05:48 PM

I've been able to buy separate ones. I bought the larger one for cars with spoilers but never fitted it. Then when the RH side one broke I decided to do the job.
Now we are running into this problem.

I need to know which side the larger one goes onto and if the RH side one is the small one as that is where the larger lug spaces are located so we are confused.

Old 05-26-2021, 09:26 AM

Found them on their current site, it is with the billet trunk hinges, 70-81 Camaro hinges, scroll to the bottom. $98

The Following User Says Thank You to Stan65 For This Useful Post:
Old 05-26-2021, 09:28 AM
Ultimate Warrior

The Fisher Body book shows how to adjust them, it’s easy, dont butcher your car with that crap,

Old 10-26-2021, 07:38 PM

Update.
My mechanic tried to fit the torsion bars as per all the directions, and despite all his efforts, one of the bars flew around and cracked the rear screen. After watching heaps of videos out there on how to fit the torsion bars, I felt it was just too dangerous, so I put a stop to that plan and I fitted the strut kit.

I know I will cop some flack from some people who say to keep the car original, but my car is so far from that, that I am happy to veer off that path when I see a product that works well and (in my opinion) looks good.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Boot strut 1.jpg
Views:	103
Size:	52.2 KB
ID:	576264   Click image for larger version

Name:	Boot strut 2.jpg
Views:	103
Size:	51.5 KB
ID:	576265   Click image for larger version

Name:	Boot strut.jpg
Views:	161
Size:	40.7 KB
ID:	576266  

The Following User Says Thank You to fbd73 For This Useful Post:
Old 10-27-2021, 03:33 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by fbd73 View Post
Update.
My mechanic tried to fit the torsion bars as per all the directions, and despite all his efforts, one of the bars flew around and cracked the rear screen. After watching heaps of videos out there on how to fit the torsion bars, I felt it was just too dangerous, so I put a stop to that plan and I fitted the strut kit.

I know I will cop some flack from some people who say to keep the car original, but my car is so far from that, that I am happy to veer off that path when I see a product that works well and (in my opinion) looks good.
Works nice doesnt it? I have my boot on a electric release, which is on my key fob, so no keys touch the paint.
Glad you came to a solution that works..

Old 08-19-2021, 07:52 PM

Thanks all.
I actually ordered the Camaro strut kit but after talking to my body shop, we are going to try to fit the correct torsion bar (which I already have).

Apparently though, you have to remove the rear screen to be able to remove the panel that covers the torsion bars. My painter remembered this when he was reassembling everything.

Any thoughts?

Old 08-19-2021, 07:58 PM
Ultimate Warrior

the rear window doesnt need to be removed to to remove the filler panel & get to the rods. there might be some window sealant in a couple areas but it will come right out.

place a thick blanket around the glass while installing them for some protection.

Old 08-19-2021, 08:19 PM
Ultimate Warrior

You DO have to remove the rear window chrome though. The two lower "L" shaped pieces to be able to remove the torsion spring cover.
The "strong arm" pivots and locks in on the DS , but is in fact the pass side torsion bar. See video below
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=BLzzsyD-hek

Last edited by Formulabruce; 08-19-2021 at 08:28 PM.
Old 08-20-2021, 12:12 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Formulabruce View Post
You DO have to remove the rear window chrome though. The two lower "L" shaped pieces to be able to remove the torsion spring cover.
The "strong arm" pivots and locks in on the DS , but is in fact the pass side torsion bar. See video below
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=BLzzsyD-hek
sorry i assumed removing the window trim was a given to get to the panel. main point was the glass doesnt need to come out.

The Following User Says Thank You to 78w72 For This Useful Post:
Old 08-20-2021, 12:54 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by 78w72 View Post
sorry i assumed removing the window trim was a given to get to the panel. main point was the glass doesnt need to come out.
You are right! Just mentioning it so he doesn't get charged for a glass removal.
The "strong arm " tool is pretty slick.
Practice always helps too