THE LOBBY A gathering place. Introductions, sports, showin' off your ride, birthday-anniversary-milestone, achievements, family oriented humor.

Old 01-09-2023, 11:24 PM

Two memorable Christmas presents from my dad when I was 15 in the early 70s. An electric shaver, which made my older sister laugh hysterically and a new 75 pc. set of Craftsman tools, metal box included! They got plenty of use, and abuse, through high school as my house was a popular site to turn wrenches, especially in the winter, as our heated garage was in the house basement. I used the same set through my HVAC-R career and still use them regularly. Sears never questioned replacement requests, mostly screwdrivers, and all 3 original ratchets still get the job done.

I quit buying Craftsman when they went offshore. Ironically, a co-worker told me he was at Sears in the 90s to exchange a combo wrench. He selected the new wrench and took it, with the defective one to the checkout. He pointed out the 'MADE IN CHINA' stamp on the original. The manager was called over and asked if this was the only one. No, it was part of a full set. Sears replaced the complete set of knockoffs!

Most of my metric tools are Kobalt. They don't get much use, but I needed a warranty replacement. The part was not in stock, so they sent it to my house, no charge.

No Craftsman purchases in my future.

Old 01-10-2023, 12:58 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Any idea who made the tools for Montgomery Ward (Powercraft ?) or JC Penny?

My first 3/8 ratchet set was from JC Penny's.
It's still my favorite ratchet after 50 years.

1968 GTO (Thanks Mom)
2006 Silverado
2007 Cadillac SRX
2015 Chevy Express

Old 01-10-2023, 02:13 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Location: 31May2013 Temporary home to the world's widest (that we know of) tornado. Lord, NO more Please...

It saddens me that Sears couldn't keep up with the times, business wise. EVERYONE went to Sears...for something!!!

The old saying, Hot dogs, apple pie and Pontiacs (LOL), is my feeling about Sears.

2-3 years ago, a huge Sears in Okkahoma City, closed. I went in a month or so before. The tool choices were slim, but I found some stuff I needed.

Not long before I bought my TA, I went to the Sears catalog store and bought a socket set, on sale, still have them. They were NOT Craftsman, but said Sears, on them. 1/2, 3/8 and 1/4 drive, shallow and deep chrome sockets, 2 extensions per drive size and wobble extensions and ratchets. No metrics, that hadn't happened yet. I believe all for $29.99 plus tax. That was a little change back then but still a good deal, I thought!!! I've only broken a couple of the sockets. By abusing them.

Oh, I bought a 2 pack of crescent wrenches, same Sears brand. One of them crapped out some how. I was working on a car for a female friend. I had bad wrench laying off to the side. She comes out in the garage to see how I'm doing. I explain the bad wrench. She said, put it in my car, I'll get it warranties for you. I explain the Sears/Craftsman brand difference, and the unlikely hood that they'd have Sears tools, just the top notch Craftsman stuff.
She said, don't worry, I've never had trouble with these things.
Just think of Linda Vaughn getting a wrench warranty. Same difference!!!

I have all kinds of tools. My local Napa store owner ( yes, a local owned store, has been for 50 years), told me he'd never carry the Craftsman stuff. He's not keen on having everyone in town bring all their broken Craftsman stuff in for warranty.

Shut it off
Shut it off
Buddy, I just shut your Prius down...
Old 01-10-2023, 06:45 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by OG68 View Post
Any idea who made the tools for Montgomery Ward (Powercraft ?) or JC Penny?
It's not as well documented as tools sold by Sears/Craftsman, but just them they contracted with various manufacturers over the years, and the contracts changed from time to time. For Wards, some known manufacturers were Duro, Indestro and Wright, but there were probably others. J.C. Penney used Wright and S-K, and probably others.

The Following User Says Thank You to Stuart For This Useful Post:
Old 01-10-2023, 08:09 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Don't get me started on Sears & Roebuck ... they were poised at the beginning of the internet era to absolutely dominate the online marketplace. They had huge shipping, warehousing, order taking components already in place worldwide, they had a catalog that you can be sure was already digitized. They had it all, ready to become the new Amazon. But I'm guessing some stodgy old people way up in management poopoo'ed the whole "internet" thing as some new fangled fad that real people would never learn to use. Fifteen years later they were going bankrupt. Should be taught in every college business course as a monumental failure. They did get an online presence .. about ten years too late.

Great example is McMaster-Carr ... known for years for their huge 3000 page catalog... they adopted early and created one of the most highly regarded, efficient web catalogs in the world. Like Sears they already had the shipping, warehousing and ordering system in place, just had to put the catalog online.

I still have the exact Craftsman barn style, grey toolbox my parents got me for a birthday 50 years ago, and probably 50% of the tools that came with it, severely abused over the years, 90% of them still used now. All made in USA back then. My father who was a deputy sheriff had to raise hell with the Memphis PD when they impounded my car for drag racing and when I went to pick it up they had stolen the tools out of the trunk (very same GTO I still have). That Craftsman toolbox and tools magically reappeared shortly thereafter. I was in big trouble of course, but my father wasn't going to have his birthday present to me stolen too.

There was also evidence of quite the smoke show leading up to the parking spot where I picked the car up in the impound lot.

Anyway ... Craftsman ruled back in the day

Old 01-10-2023, 09:46 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by dataway View Post
Don't get me started on Sears & Roebuck ... they were poised at the beginning of the internet era to absolutely dominate the online marketplace. They had huge shipping, warehousing, order taking components already in place worldwide, they had a catalog that you can be sure was already digitized. They had it all, ready to become the new Amazon. But I'm guessing some stodgy old people way up in management poopoo'ed the whole "internet" thing as some new fangled fad that real people would never learn to use. Fifteen years later they were going bankrupt. Should be taught in every college business course as a monumental failure. They did get an online presence .. about ten years too late.

Great example is McMaster-Carr ... known for years for their huge 3000 page catalog... they adopted early and created one of the most highly regarded, efficient web catalogs in the world. Like Sears they already had the shipping, warehousing and ordering system in place, just had to put the catalog online.

I still have the exact Craftsman barn style, grey toolbox my parents got me for a birthday 50 years ago, and probably 50% of the tools that came with it, severely abused over the years, 90% of them still used now. All made in USA back then. My father who was a deputy sheriff had to raise hell with the Memphis PD when they impounded my car for drag racing and when I went to pick it up they had stolen the tools out of the trunk (very same GTO I still have). That Craftsman toolbox and tools magically reappeared shortly thereafter. I was in big trouble of course, but my father wasn't going to have his birthday present to me stolen too.

There was also evidence of quite the smoke show leading up to the parking spot where I picked the car up in the impound lot.

Anyway ... Craftsman ruled back in the day

Best lobby post in months. Sears really did have it all and let it slip away. Chapter 1 in the big book of how to ruin an American business giant could be Sears. Chapter 2 could be Oldsmobile division of GM . Chapter 3 could be the Story of Pontiac division of GM. There would be an entire semester of good reading right there. How to do EVERYTHING wrong! Agree McMaster Carr is just the opposite. Best on-line catalog for these type products period. They do everything right. I use them whenever possible. Get their products next day, even faster than Amazon. MSC, Grainger, not even close. Back to tools. Craftsman has an up and down history with the quality of tools. They have used a large variety of vendors over the years and the tools have been made all over the world. The one consistent thing for me at least was them replacing broken tools, on the spot, no questions asked. That has been my experience at least. Obviously, hearing Sirrotica's story, "your experience may vary". In the last 6 months, I have had 2 Craftsman broken tools replaced by NAPA. They have been selling Craftsman tools for a couple years now. Gave them the broken tools, couple days later, new ones were waiting for me. Prior to that, had a couple more broken ones replaced at an ACE hardware no questions asked on the spot. Quality wise, Craftsman branded tools in general I would rate "high end home owner/hobbyist tools" Husky and Kobalt, and some Craftsman all made by the same company at times. Overall quality between my old Craftsman tools and the recent replacements is not the same. All my replacements said Tiawan on them. All the old ones had USA forgerd into the handles. I have a Craftsman 1/2" ratchet from my grandfather, probably late 1930's, early 40's. Still very nice and works great. But to be fair, I don't use it anymore. APEX and Stanley Tool Group have about 85% of the hand tool market. Many, Many brands.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	tools.jpg
Views:	97
Size:	62.6 KB
ID:	604868  

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mgarblik For This Useful Post:
Old 01-10-2023, 11:17 AM

The Eddie lampert regime was the ultimate killer. His mismanaging sunk sears and Kmart.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

77 T/A- poncho 400| T-10|3.23| I beams|Hyper flat top pistons|Kre heads|Scorpion rockers|Xr276 hydro roller|Rpm intake|Smi qjet|Subframe connectors|Rancho sways|Mcleod super street|hydro clutch|More i cant remember
Old 01-10-2023, 12:15 PM

I did not think of taking defective craftsman tools back to Ace hardware thanks magrblik. I have 3/8 ratchet that needs replaced. My go to tool is always Metrinch tools, the ones made in Germany. Saves on how many tools I have to take to the junkyard, less weight. I keep a lot of old Craftsman tools in standing tool box especially larger sizes. I went to Lowes because I couldnt find my 1 1/8 combo wrench and needed to get shock bolts off. I was also going to get a 1" wrench and so I started playing air drums and tapping the wrenches together. It started raining chrome dust every time I tapped wrenches together. It did not seem like they were chipping but dust would continue to fall off of wrenches. I put those back and went home to search for my old wrenches, no new craftsman for me. Garage sales are the best places to find old tools direct from old timers. I like this guy on youtube Project Farm he compares all kinds of things and of course tools.
https://youtube.com/watch?v=LtrgSOnGoCI&feature=shares

Last edited by ta6point6; 01-10-2023 at 12:25 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to ta6point6 For This Useful Post:
Old 01-10-2023, 12:42 PM
Ultimate Warrior

FWIW, I have allot of Snap-On tools like many life long mechanics. Most, but not all their hand tools are still USA MADE, and you pay dearly for them. If price was not an object, IMO Snap-On sockets, wrenches , extensions, flex ratchets, specialty hand tools are the best I have ever used. Snap-On equipment, like floor jacks, other hydraulic tools, are complete crap for the money and mostly made in China. Warranty is weak also, 1 year. Snap-On electronic and diagnostic tools are extremely overpriced and nothing special about their functionality. Scan tools for example, Autel has scan tools that rival anything Snap-On has available for 25% the cost. I use both daily. JMO.

The Following User Says Thank You to mgarblik For This Useful Post:
Old 01-10-2023, 01:29 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

I quit going to Sears when the made in other countries hand tools started to become the norm for the Craftsmen name. I'm glad to hear that they may have actually realized the folly of their ways.

I can certainly relate to the people who had complaints about their tool warranty problems. IMO they would rather pander to gain a new group of suckers as customers than to maintain store policies that would help them keep loyal long time customers. Roughly 30 years ago I started seeing problems getting them to warranty tools that I had literally witnessed them covering in the past. Then 15 or so years ago I was having to fight with them to warranty anything other than sockets and screwdrivers. Then a few more years down the road they suddenly "couldn't get" the exact replacements and began insisting on offering their Chinese/Taiwan cheaper line tools as replacements.

Also, I must concur, with the others who have pointed out that the newer Craftsman tools are not even close to as good as the old stuff. I have Craftsman tools that were given to me for birthdays and so forth in the '80s that have never let me down. I also have Craftsman hand tools that I bought in the early 2000s that are only about a half step above Harbor Freight.

Old 01-10-2023, 01:52 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by dataway View Post
Don't get me started on Sears & Roebuck ... they were poised at the beginning of the internet era to absolutely dominate the online marketplace. They had huge shipping, warehousing, order taking components already in place worldwide, they had a catalog that you can be sure was already digitized. They had it all, ready to become the new Amazon. )
They also had an amazing set of respected brands besides Craftsman.
Kenmore appliances
Diehard batteries
Steadyrider shocks

When they finally got an online shopping site going, the search function worked terrible.

Eric

Life begins at the end of your comfort zone.

“The mind, once stretched by a new idea, never returns to its original dimensions.”
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Elarson For This Useful Post:
Old 01-10-2023, 03:12 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Bought lots of hot rod parts there too. I still prefer my 1970s Sears battery charger!

1965 GTO 4 barrel 3 speed project
2004 GTO Pulse Red stock motor computer tune 13.43@103.4
1964 Impala SS 409/470ci 600 HP stroker project
1979 Camaro IAII Edelbrock head 500" 695 HP 10.33@132 3595lbs
The Following User Says Thank You to Skip Fix For This Useful Post:
Old 01-10-2023, 03:47 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skip Fix View Post
Bought lots of hot rod parts there too. I still prefer my 1970s Sears battery charger!
As well as my engine analyzer and timing light I got for Christmas in the early 70s. Still in active use.

1968 GTO (Thanks Mom)
2006 Silverado
2007 Cadillac SRX
2015 Chevy Express

The Following User Says Thank You to OG68 For This Useful Post:
Old 01-10-2023, 05:35 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Still have a lot of my original sockets. Unfortunately a few years ago my all metal torque wrench broke.

1965 GTO 4 barrel 3 speed project
2004 GTO Pulse Red stock motor computer tune 13.43@103.4
1964 Impala SS 409/470ci 600 HP stroker project
1979 Camaro IAII Edelbrock head 500" 695 HP 10.33@132 3595lbs
Old 01-10-2023, 06:08 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elarson View Post
They also had an amazing set of respected brands besides Craftsman.
Kenmore appliances
Diehard batteries
Steadyrider shocks

When they finally got an online shopping site going, the search function worked terrible.

Eric
Jeez, just irks me to see that kind of stupidity. Yep .. they had a huge market share with those name brands and a great reputation. Heck I remember when one of the best leather motorcycle jackets you could buy was made by Sears.

Oh their website was a mess and still was when the company was sinking. For just a little while they had a pretty good replacement parts website. Now it all redirects to third party sellers.

I keep thinking someone should have gone to jail for destroying that company ... but I guess stupidity is not a crime.

Old 01-10-2023, 06:31 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by 61-63 View Post
Craftsman hand tools are still guaranteed for life and Kobalt has a 30 day guarantee from what I read.
Apparently you didn't look hard enough.

CORRECTION:

"You should never have a problem with your Kobalt tools. However, if you do, return the item to the place of purchase for a free replacement. No
questions asked.
This warranty gives you specific legal rights, and you
may also have other rights that vary from state to state. Please see store
or call 1-888-3KOBALT for details."

The 90 day warranty you refer to is for "satisfaction" - if you get it home and you don't like it, you have 90 days to return it.

As piss poor as Craftsman tools were when I made the decision to not bother getting warranty replacements, the warranty was worthless. My hands are worth more than ANOTHER free replacement ratchet when they kept breaking time after time.

I have no reason to try the new Craftsman tools to see if they've improved. My Kobalt's are performing BETTER than any of my older Craftsman tools ever did.

"If you're not completely satisfied with your Lowe's purchase, simply return the merchandise to any Lowe's store in the US. Most new, unused merchandise can be refunded or exchanged with proof of purchase within 90 days of the original purchase date. Some exceptions to the standard policy exist."

Old 01-10-2023, 08:00 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Seems like I had Sears tires also Roadmaster maybe?

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to grandam1979 For This Useful Post:
Old 01-10-2023, 09:58 PM
Ultimate Warrior

My dad wasn't a car guy or a big wrench, but he always had a decent set of Craftsman tools. As a kid, I was always working on bikes, tearing apart lawn mower engines, etc. Started out using his tools and at that young of an age(11 or 12), I didn't have an appreciation for them and lost a few and left a few outside in the rain a time or two. When I turned 13, he bought me my own set(wrenches, screwdrivers, pliers and a few other misc) of Craftsman tools. Guess what, I still have almost all of them. Once they were mine, they started getting taken care of. These are now over 40 years old and still get used.

My dad is now in a nursing home and my mom and pretty much given me all of this old excellent quality tools that I'll cherish forever. The best ones though are the Wizard ratchets sold through Western Auto. They have a feel like no other.

This post takes me back.

63 Lemans Race Car- 8.81 @ 151, 5.60 @ 123(SOLD)

67 Bonneville ragtop

74 Firebird - 455, e heads, TK0600 in process
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Hooter For This Useful Post:
Old 01-11-2023, 09:38 AM
Ultimate Warrior

On my list of things that make me want to punch a hole through a wall, The demise of Pontiac and the destruction of Sears score 1 and 2. My father, (not a car guy), bought me three items I cherish and use today. 1 A Craftsman 1/2" drive all metal torque wrench, 2 A Sears "Engine Analyzer". Essentially a tach/dwell meter with a couple other functions and a voltmeter. 3 A SUN 1701 timing light. That was in 1974. All still work fine and my torque wrench was just checked at +- 2%. My GM Tech 2 scan tool I bought about 10 years ago lasted for 5 cars and died. Had to be replaced. Times have really changed.

Old 01-11-2023, 10:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgarblik View Post
FWIW, I have allot of Snap-On tools like many life long mechanics. Most, but not all their hand tools are still USA MADE, and you pay dearly for them. If price was not an object, IMO Snap-On sockets, wrenches , extensions, flex ratchets, specialty hand tools are the best I have ever used. Snap-On equipment, like floor jacks, other hydraulic tools, are complete crap for the money and mostly made in China. Warranty is weak also, 1 year. Snap-On electronic and diagnostic tools are extremely overpriced and nothing special about their functionality. Scan tools for example, Autel has scan tools that rival anything Snap-On has available for 25% the cost. I use both daily. JMO.

I’ll give you that, there hand tools especially the ratchets are spectacular. Showed up to work at a shop my family owned when I was younger (instantly feel old) with my craftsman sockets and broke them repeatedly. Started buying stuff off the truck of financial ruin but it’s paid for itself many times over.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

77 T/A- poncho 400| T-10|3.23| I beams|Hyper flat top pistons|Kre heads|Scorpion rockers|Xr276 hydro roller|Rpm intake|Smi qjet|Subframe connectors|Rancho sways|Mcleod super street|hydro clutch|More i cant remember