THE LOBBY A gathering place. Introductions, sports, showin' off your ride, birthday-anniversary-milestone, achievements, family oriented humor.

Old 02-29-2024, 12:12 PM

Default Ac hose help

Any tips on how to install a/c hose onto the factory barbed fittings? I am replacing the leaking original hose with new. I remember it being a real pain to get hose all the way on. Help me please

Old 02-29-2024, 01:13 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

I replaced the hoses on my '66 GTO about 15 years ago and I remember it was straightforward. The hoses I replaced were the factory worm-drive clamped ones, not the crimped ones.

First, make sure you have the correct size hose, (5/8" and 1/2" IIRC), and lubricate the hose and barb with refrigeration mineral oil (not PAG). It would help to warm the hose end with a heat gun 1st too.

It's also critical that you cut the end of the hose square, and install it all the way to the stop, and use the original clamp with the stop arm against the end of the hose. If the clamp isn't in the exact spot on the barbs it will probably leak.

The Following User Says Thank You to hgerhardt For This Useful Post:
Old 02-29-2024, 06:18 PM
Senior Chief

I did the above and heated the end with my trouble light.