Pontiac - Street No question too basic here!

Old 08-21-2021, 05:32 PM
Senior Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve25 View Post
If you used factory valves in those 62 casting then chalk up the failure to them pure and simple !

Let me ask this where did the valve fail, at its stem to head transition, or up at the keeper end?

If it was at the head side then did you or whoever assembled the heads look very closely at them for nicks or deep enough scratches that could have been the source of the failure if it was not just pure fatigue in the the first place?

In short I would get the Ferrea 5000s and sleep well!

They were Ferrea 5000's....1 pc SS valve..

could have been an oddity? fatigue? bad luck, no clue.
That is the only reason for second guessing what happened.

For those wondering about the short cuts.....who has built a $600 motor to be competetive for 8 heats of dirt track....only to have to sell it for $500....
this is a budget build ...sory you do NOT NEED a block honed with torwue plates to +/- .0005 roundness/ squareness....in order for it to run and live a decent life. You do however need LESS than 11 - 1 compression with an iron head motor for it to last a week on the street,

So while I appreciate the tips on what SHOULD be done...understand the scope of this build, its function and its budget. Cheap fast, run ok...get it done and going.

Old 08-21-2021, 05:36 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

I run them in my turbo 462, 0 problems for 15+ years in a set of 6x heads.

Old 08-21-2021, 08:13 PM
Senior Chief

I think they could be had but at a serious cost premium. I think Autotech might be able to set you up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Vaught View Post
Flat-bill Of the pistons offered for Pontiac engines, I see at Jegs, SpeedPro .020, .030, .040, and .060 but not in years have I seen a SpeedPro piston in a .010+ size.

Got a source??

Tom V.