Pontiac - Street No question too basic here!

Old 10-15-2021, 12:31 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I think the original Rally I's are way classier than the poverty caps. Driving around looking like you had your nice wheels stolen and went to junkyard for a set of rims to get the car rolling again (which happened) while you saved up for a new set of rims is not a good look in my book.

I had 65 Lemans as a kid that came with black junkyard rims and rubber (old bald tires) because the seller kept his nice wheels and M/T tires. I had all my money in the car and put redline tires on it and painted the rims body color (Dark Teal Turquoise). A buddy felt sorry for me and gave me set of Chevy poverty caps that I ran until I saved up enough to buy real rims (TorqueThrust D's).

The TorqueThrust style rims w. gray centers would be a nice look on your car. Even body color steel rims with poverty caps is a better look than that "black hole" with a shiny hub cap in the middle look.

You could also experiment by spraying a Rally I w. Semigloss Black Krylon and mounting the centers and trim rings. The Krylon comes right off with Mineral spirits without affecting the original paint if you don't like the look.

Sorry, but not a fan of black rims with poverty caps. That's one step away from putting baby moon hubcaps on in my book.

Last edited by NeighborsComplaint; 10-15-2021 at 12:38 AM.
Old 10-15-2021, 12:46 AM
Ultimate Warrior

i like a lot of tire since that is how these muscle cars came originally. right now i have black rally 2 wheels with trim rings and center caps, 15 in back and 14 up front, thinking about having some 13” geo metro wheels drilled to match my lug pattern so i can get even more tire showing

Old 10-15-2021, 07:38 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I personally don't like the black rim and cap that you used. I think if you were looking for the same look as the Champ and Bman that you should have copied what they have. When you compared your 2 pics together, the chrome rims in that pic just pop as soon as you open it. Having said that, I think you need a better looking set of hubcaps. Like in the pic. It's really hard to beat the Pontiac look.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	pontiac hubcap.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	45.9 KB
ID:	575228  

68 Firebird. IA2 block, 505 cu in, E-head, Solid roller 3650 weight. Reid TH400 4:11 gear. 29" slick.
Best so far 10.12@133 mph. 1.43 60 ft.
76 Trans am, TKX .81 o/d, 3.73 Moser rearend,
468 with KRE D-ports, Doug headers, 3" Exh.
Old 10-16-2021, 09:30 AM
Ultimate Warrior

A little gloss made a world of difference...

Old 10-16-2021, 06:37 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Thanks for thoughts and opinions. Agree champ. Thanks to u and bman for setting the look. It is interesting with all the different opinions. I think my old look is terrible compared to what I have now. I think cars with contrasting color between the body and the chrome trim can look good (the teal comment from above). But when your car is silver to begin with, that play just does not look as good next to chrome trim. Not enough contrast. And it takes away from redline.

Black top and interior plus the desire to have a bit of attitude- the answer is black wheels.

Old 10-18-2021, 08:51 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Cant beat Rallye I. IF you are staying with a 15 inch wheel

Old 10-18-2021, 09:40 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Old thread…..did you pick something yet ?

Old 10-18-2021, 07:10 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by MUSLCAH View Post
Old thread…..did you pick something yet ?
See post 16, which is his new current setup.

Old 10-18-2021, 07:49 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I sorta like a Rally1 in Silver - with a black-style (66-68) R1 center cap - and no trim ring.

The black-style R1 center cap might look better than what you are using now (all shiny center cap) with your black wheels.
Prep one and see ?

Otherwise you need some poverty caps to replace your R1 centers.
You don't have the right look yet
Looks like you have sore thumbs in the middle of your wheels

Maybe too brutal on the honesty - but you asked for opinions.
None of your wheel combos have looked good yet , start to finish.

Old 10-19-2021, 06:48 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baron Von Zeppelin View Post
Otherwise you need some poverty caps to replace your R1 centers.
A poverty cap will not mount to a R1 wheel - nothing for the cap to hang on to...

Personally, I think a black R1 with the chrome center cap is the same type of look that my poverty caps have on a standard rim.

A black center cap on a black rim would be too much black, IMHO.

Old 10-19-2021, 09:03 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Like your car,.. keep two sets of wheels, tires for the mood.
A little off subject, but the best thing I did on my vert was get rid of the vinyl top and put a nice cloth one with glass rear window.

1963 Cat SD Clone (old school) streeter
1964 GTO post coupe, tripower, 4speed (build)
1965 GTO 389 tripower, 4 speed, driver
1966 GTO dragcar
1966 GTO Ragtop
1969 Tempest ET clone street/strip
1969 GTO Judge RA lll, auto
1969 GTO limelight Conv. 4speed go and show (sold)
1970 GP SSJ
1970 GTO barn find..TLB…390 horse?….yeh, 390
1972 GTO 455 HO, 4 speed, (build)
1973 Grand Safari wagon, 700hp stoplight sleeper
525ci DCI & 609ci LM V head builds
Old 10-19-2021, 10:40 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

agree champ - I think black centers would be too much black.

Thanks JC. I suspect a new top will be in order at some point, i do have one small tear and hate the vinyl back window. Although I don't expect that putting on a top is easy. Where did you get your cloth top?

As JC mentions, the good news for all those that just have to have their chrome, its not hard for me to swap on my centerline convo pros when the urge hits. But no urge at this time. Dark and mean is operative words for the day.

Old 10-19-2021, 11:18 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I'm more of a "keep the rally wheel silver" kind of guy as that's how they were.

If I were going for the toned down look, and I know this would cost the OP more money, but black wheels I'd rather see a plain steel wheel with a dog dish cap.

They weren't originally full gloss either, least not my fathers car that he bought brand new. They were more of a 60% gloss.

You can buy the steel wheels that accept the dog dish caps from Wheel Vintiques in any size you wish and they aren't priced horribly either. That would be the direction I'd go.

Dad removed the original 14's from his car and bought 15x8's and 15x4's from Wheel Vintiques and then installed his original dog dish caps.

https://youtu.be/XqEydRRRwqE
Old 10-19-2021, 11:42 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Formulajones View Post

Dad removed the original 14's from his car and bought 15x8's and 15x4's from Wheel Vintiques and then installed his original dog dish caps.
I tried that because I wanted a wider steel wheel and couldn't for the life of me get my original dog dishes to mount securely to the WV aftermarket steelies. I even returned them and tried another one and it still wouldn't lock snap on correctly. The caps work fine on my original 15x6 Pontiac steel wheels.

Old 10-19-2021, 11:50 AM
Ultimate Warrior

That's odd because dad's original dog dish caps snap on perfectly to the Wheel Vintiques. He's even bought repop dog dish and those also snap on the wheels just fine.

In fact, when I service the car, they are quite difficult to pull off being careful not to scratch the wheels, they are on there pretty good.

https://youtu.be/XqEydRRRwqE
Old 10-20-2021, 10:03 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by MidnightAuto View Post
Thanks for thoughts and opinions. Agree champ. Thanks to u and bman for setting the look. It is interesting with all the different opinions. I think my old look is terrible compared to what I have now. I think cars with contrasting color between the body and the chrome trim can look good (the teal comment from above). But when your car is silver to begin with, that play just does not look as good next to chrome trim. Not enough contrast. And it takes away from redline.

Black top and interior plus the desire to have a bit of attitude- the answer is black wheels.
I've seen the redlines on silver body color-rims with poverty caps and it's a good look too.

Old 10-20-2021, 10:06 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by MidnightAuto View Post
Well here it is. I’m happy. Diamond back redline 215/70 and 255/60. Existing 15 inch Rally 1 painted black, delete trim ring, keep center cap.

I like black top and/or interior keying off black wheel. More so than painting wheel
Same color as body, which is what I Had before below too
Put the trim rings on.

Old 10-20-2021, 10:26 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I know where you can get 5 of these honeys...

...with caps and lugs.