Old 10-15-2021, 03:25 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRADERMIKE 2012 View Post
Question is "How are the Royal Pontiac Blocks Stamped on the upgraded 1967 428 ci Blocks when they exited the shop."
They weren't. Royal didn't note anything special on the blocks or engines that they touched.

Really the only way to document any work from Royal is if you still had the paper receipt, or a note from Milt Schornack.

Quote:
And "How did the Pontiac Factory stamp a Special-Order Block
Same as any other. Any engine that was built received an Engine Unit Number for tracking purposes.

Quote:
1967 YK code HO 428 ci Tri-Power with the # 524886 Cam on the assembly line (purely Hypothetical question) here. Just for example: "If Pontiac installed my Motor in a 2+2 Catalina and did not follow the "Edict" just like other GM Divisions would do in the day. Pontiac and others put out some High-Performance Engine with Tri-Powers in spite to Racers and Dealers wanting them on their show room floors. So, what if..." How would the Factory stamp the Block in this scenario?" All constructive answers are welcome, no derogatory answers please, I am on a Fact-finding mission here.
They wouldn't have stamped it because they wouldn't have built it. There wasn't a tripower Pontiac in 1967.

These kinds of "spontaneous" things don't just happen, nor do the assemblers "just put on what they feel like that day".

I’d like to deflate this notion a little bit, if I may –

Keep in mind I’ve been in and out of about a dozen GM vehicle assembly plants over the last 43 years; sometimes as a resident and mostly as an “honored guest” (lol) on the new product Launch Team. I’ve followed thousands of special builds down the line, including 3 or 4 of my own personal vehicles.

It would be very difficult to clandestinely add content to a vehicle that was not called out on the build sheet - if there was any amount of coordination involved. Having done this legitimately for a living over dozens of product lifecycles the level of preparation , coordination and logistics to make changes in a production environment staggers the mind. All of the material has to be on hand, accounted for and flowing in order to keep that line moving. Shut the line down for any reason and the wrath of plant management comes down swiftly and like a hammer (…even if you are an “honored guest” …and even if it was not your fault).

The story about “the Corvette motor in Pappy’s pickup truck” couldn’t happen, because there wouldn’t be any Corvette engines shipped to a truck plant (other than St Louis assembly, I suppose).

Add a trailer hitch where it doesn’t belong, or (maybe) substitute an engine of the same size/shape/family as the broadcast item? Possibly, but all the inspectors (a dozen people) would have to be in on the deal too - so you better be a pretty popular and/or charismatic guy because you are not going to get all those people on board if you are widely received as a "dick". Add an option with wiring, coordination across multiple areas or some other complexity? Probably not. It is nearly impossible to do even with a team of dedicated employees who are getting paid to make it happen. For a bunch of impromptu changes initiated on the fly? Even more impossible. If it can get screwed up - it will.

I’ve told the story before about Dimitri Toth's "421 GTO".

Dimitri has worked at the Pontiac Michigan facility for over 50 years. His father worked there before him and, in fact was the guy that cast the prototype GM blocks like the Bath Tub intake and any other experimental intake during the glory days.

Back around ’65 or ’66 Dimitri was getting a car built and it happened to be assigned to the Pontiac plant. He spent the previous several weeks gathering engine parts and creating a really nice modded 421 engine in the Experimental Engine build room. He took great pains to get it ready and staged for the day his car was to be built. As far as he knew all the arrangements had been made.

Imagine his horror as he watched his special hand built motor go in the station wagon six cars ahead of his. He and his team had miscounted, and some grandfather or salesman somewhere probably never understood why his wagon was such a good runner.

Those that know me and my history know I am a "never say never" kind of guy, but having done this professionally and personally - very difficult to do.

K

'74 Chevelle - original owner, 9.85 @ 136 mph besthttp://www.superchevy.com/features/s...hevy-chevelle/
My Pontiac Story: http://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/...d.php?t=560524
"Intro from an old Assembly Plant Guy":http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=342926

Last edited by Keith Seymore; 10-15-2021 at 03:46 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to Keith Seymore For This Useful Post:
Old 10-15-2021, 03:40 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I'm going to assign some recommended reading:

For stories about Royal Pontiac and growing up in a family that raced Pontiacs:

http://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/...d.php?t=560524

For "old wive's tales" and other stories, most of which are about the Pontiac Michigan facility:

http://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/...d.php?t=556607

For more assembly plant experience, including my career with GM:

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=342926

If you don't currently get the POCI newsletter (known as the "Smoke Signals" magazine) I would encourage you to sign up. Dimitri has an article in there every month talking about working for PMD and growing up in the area.

That should keep you busy for a while.

K

'74 Chevelle - original owner, 9.85 @ 136 mph besthttp://www.superchevy.com/features/s...hevy-chevelle/
"Intro from an old Assembly Plant Guy":http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=342926
The Following User Says Thank You to Keith Seymore For This Useful Post:
Old 10-15-2021, 05:54 PM
Ultimate Warrior

More reading on service blocks, numbering and sequencing:

http://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/...=812299&page=1

K

Old 10-15-2021, 07:05 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Keith:

TRADERMIKE 2012:

'95 Comp T/A #6 M6 - bone stock (pics)
Old 10-15-2021, 10:22 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Baron's response to other responses :

Bryan Cranston is a great actor .
did he have a 428 TriPower Moonshine engine too ? or what ?

My Aunt's father (a Johnson from N.Wilkesboro NC ) , produced the`Shine that Junior (his crazy nephew) transported.
illegally - btw - fwiw

I could try to use a Ouija Board to question Junior (RiP) about a PickUp running a 428 , but he would probably assume the 428 was a Cobra-Jet engine, and then say - of course - dammit . And then spit tobacco juice down at me for the interruption.

iirc (maybe or maybe not) - the 1971 455HO 4spd T-37 car that PY Member Jack Peters bought new, had that same camshaft installed in it when he tore it down. (?)
It was something oddball like that

The Following User Says Thank You to Baron Von Zeppelin For This Useful Post:
Old 10-15-2021, 10:27 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I wonder when the last REAL shine runners were running the back roads?50s?I need to ask real NC cracker!Tom

Old 10-16-2021, 12:17 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

That would depend on what qualifies as, REAL? Quality of shine? Size of load? Length of pursuit?

Not that I've ever taken part in such stupendous activities, obviously just wondering...

Frank

Old 10-16-2021, 06:47 AM
Suspended

Keith welcome to my post, I will read all you can supply me over time though. I have run across many of your photos in my searches over the years and lost many to one Ransome ware F--k. Your tale is like one of my own from years of racing Gym -Conna on Long Island NY at Mitchel Field as I was growing up. Dads Corvettes were 1966 and 1968 and both 427 ci . His were top 500 builds in their perspective years. Blue printed and balanced possibly through Baldwin Motion. Since were from the Island and Dad worked in Mineola, I deduce this. I miss those days and Boating on Long Island sound on his 34-foot Viking Command Bridge. He was an Engineer and one of the Vice presidents of UOP and Raced through Sperry Sports Car Club of America. He Has accumulated many trophies in his day. He was always top of class with the Auto that he Raced in any given year. He raced Lotus Elan just to prove he could win in any class he entered. I too went to Memphis State University on a Gymnastics Scholarship after winning Deerfield Beach and Broward County in 1975 and becoming best at College after all the seniors graduated. Like my father I always would strive to be the best. For the past 8 years I have built this second-hand project and learned lots from you people on the Forum. Let me Thank you for the Information and not wasting my time like others. My quest is to educate myself enough to hold an intelligent conversation with others about Automobiles. My Vehicle is the proof of that effort put into that pursuit. Your Fathers Dream of building that 428 ci is one of my own. I would like to make mine into a super Duty 428 ci HO someday. However, it runs too well to build it into SD just yet. I owned a 1969 Chevy Impala,1971 Chevelle ,1981 Camaro Z 28 and a 1968 Mercury Couger over the years and like the rest wish I never sold them. Building this 1979 Pontiac Firebird that has the front and rear clip off a 1976 Firebird TA with a 1976 Firebird Hood with the Snorkel's optioned with a TA Shaker Scoop facing the windshield reminds me of the photo of your prototype Air Induction. AS a matter of Fact, it is that very photo that prompted me to installing a plastic much less expensive version on my build. One similar in your photo I've seen for $3000, that actual one is priceless for its the first one I believe conceived. Any way I have to get back to the assignment, the rest of you should take note that this is the way I prefer to use My POST PLEASE.

Last edited by TRADERMIKE 2012; 10-16-2021 at 06:53 AM.
Old 10-16-2021, 09:33 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith Seymore View Post
One more - this page from the Camaro Research Group is the best there is in terms of documenting the assembly process. The assembly process is slightly different for full-frame vehicles vs unibody but you get the idea.

One other minor difference would be that, for the Pontiac Michigan location, all the activities took place on the same piece of property. Engines were cast, machined and built in the same facility while bodies were built up, painted and trimmed out. The length of time from when my cylinder block and heads were cast until the completed vehicle shipped was 9 days for my September of 1964 built '65 GTO.

http://camaros.org/assemblyprocess.shtml

If you can find copies of Eric White's "Made in Pontiac" series it is also very good. Written by a good friend it includes plant layouts and is based on an interview with an hourly employee from the Pontiac plant. This was also printed in the aforementioned "Smoke Signals" magazine as a multiple part series. I had powerpoint copies at one time but may have lost them when I had to give my laptop back when I retired.

Understanding the assembly process is crucial. I've found one has to know the process limitations if you are going to figure out how to circumvent them (whether legitimately or illegitimately).

K

Last edited by Keith Seymore; 10-16-2021 at 09:43 AM.
Old 10-17-2021, 10:56 AM
Suspended

While I am on assignment, I discovered this: Keith Seymore " My Pontiac Story" 6/20/2011 Post, # 154, Dr. Eric M. Schiffer States: "Sam told me that when they changed Engines (At Royal Pontiac) warranty or otherwise they would get complete Engines from the Factory and turn them into short Blocks". He said "they had to do it this why. I don't remember why he said the Factory wanted this for warranty work." This is the way the Dr. wrote this exactly.

So, My Engine is on the shelf with Either a "067 or "068" Cam and a 4 bbl Manifold and Carb. installed (maybe). Most likely because my Block is stamped with YK and that means Automatic 4 bbl. There were a half a million about total Engine produced starting in 1966 through 1967 according to the Engine Unit Number EUN # stamped on my 428 ci HO Block, by the time my Engine was stamped YK and a number was assigned to my Block to be used in only 1967 Application into a Vehicle.

My 1961 Pontiac shop Manual shows that early 1960's Blocks use MVI Motor Vehicle Identification Number stamped half way down on the left side below the P.S. Head as you face the Wind- shield. Nobody has produced any reason for my Engine Block "not" having this valuable MVI number stamped on the 1967 428 ci HO Block. It is because I lack this MVI stamping that I wonder if the 1962,63,64,65, and 66 Blocks contain this MVI stamping.

One of you produced proof of the MVI number on a 1961 Block so far. I say my Block went to a Dealership and they Installed the Tri-Power Cam (maybe) and Intake plus Carbs. to go as a matched set as an upgrade over the "067-068" 4 bbl Carb. on its Intake Manifold. Prove me wrong, without the useless conjecture please. Also, "why can't my Mod. have been performed through Royal Pontiac?" What or How did Royal Stamp their Blocks when they upgraded them from a 400 ci 4 bbl Pontiac Engine to a 1967 428 ci HO Tri-Power system as they Bob-cat-ed them?

Also, Because the Factory Divisions did not comply with the GM Edict, all at the same time, how do I know that my 428 ci HO Block was not sitting on the shelf with the Tri-Power Cam and Intake as Special Equipment as it has been depicted as already. There has been some evidence to what Special Equipment means from some of you.

Show me Documentation from the Factory to what that means. "How do we know that my Block is an Experimental program but did not get the "X" stamped on it to show it ever got installed in any Vehicle ever at the Factory and later sold to one of the Racers. Since it is not customary to install the Tri-Power on the 428 someone could have been testing the combo for any number of reasons at the Factory level.

Remember the left hand did not know what the right hand was doing in those days. Why would the former owner be given the story of the 428's History if it were not true? I have to get back to my assignment now, just food for the thought. Mike out.

Old 10-17-2021, 11:26 AM
Suspended

Quote:
One more - this page from the Camaro Research Group is the best there is in terms of documenting the assembly process. The assembly process is slightly different for full-frame vehicles vs unibody but you get the idea.

One other minor difference would be that, for the Pontiac Michigan location, all the activities took place on the same piece of property. Engines were cast, machined and built in the same facility while bodies were built up, painted and trimmed out. The length of time from when my cylinder block and heads were cast until the completed vehicle shipped was 9 days for my September of 1964 built '65 GTO.

http://camaros.org/assemblyprocess.shtml

If you can find copies of Eric White's "Made in Pontiac" series it is also very good. Written by a good friend it includes plant layouts and is based on an interview with an hourly employee from the Pontiac plant. This was also printed in the aforementioned "Smoke Signals" magazine as a multiple part series. I had PowerPoint copies at one time but may have lost them when I had to give my laptop back when I retired.

Understanding the assembly process is crucial. I've found one has to know the process limitations if you are going to figure out how to circumvent them (whether legitimately or illegitimately).

K
Mikes answer, I am reading what you send me and I find it very Informative. Thank you for your constructive info. My Father was born in 1933, same era as your dad, I to have Racing in the Blood line. I like the Swin Bicycle with the Banana Seat "is that you?"

I put extended Forks on mine to Chopper It plus mine was Green. You would never see that in Black and white. We had our 35 mm Family Film Edited to make a Family Video with Music added just like in your Videos. My Father had those Big Lights on his Camera at Christmas time, all Nine of us, plus I am a Twin, would be jumping all over him.

Good memories are coming back. One thing I can add is where are those Family values today? Movies like "Leave it to Beaver" are long gone.

While I have time to Edit this post, now that I have learned more, I don't think my Engine was ever installed on the line because it has no MVI number stamped on the Block in the appropriate place.

Last edited by TRADERMIKE 2012; 10-17-2021 at 12:01 PM.
Old 10-17-2021, 05:54 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Why would the former owner be given the story of the 428's History if it were not true?

Why did Andy Griffith (a sworn NC sheriff and upstanding all-around citizen) tell the buyer of the old cannon that it took a direct hit on the muzzle at San-Juan Hill while being pulled behind Teddy Roosevelt's horse ?

While Deputy Phiffe almost blew a gasket during the pitch .....

Mike, i could grab any engine i have stored in my shop and make any claim i wanted to about it - then challenge the universe to SHOW ME PROOF i was wrong/lying about it.

That is not how it works in the Real World amongst educated men.
The burden of proof is on You
But it has been comical watching you chase the windmill on fantasy island , in search of any microscopic proof.

btw - Barney proved to us that Andy was lying.
However, Opie used the same tactic to trade an old garment button off to a buddy,
as coming from the jacket of General George Washington.
And we all know Opie was a Good Boy

I would much rather enjoy reading the sanity of your TA build, than this insanity about your various engine claim proposals/hopes.
If it actually were a factory assembled piece and then used for moonshining - what would it mean to us ?

What would it mean to you ?
Is there a value factor - a significant historical factor ?
Other than a 67 YK 428 engine

Although it has been known that Royal did "offer" 428 swaps
I cannot recall one single documented car with a 428 Royal Swap that exists today.
They may have done several of their own cars like that, and a few others.
The Bobcat upgrades were popular though and some handfuls of those are documented cars.

Do know for sure many have done such things themselves - and even beyond.
A 63 Catalina Station Wagon was found with an impeccably complete 1969 RamAirIV Trans Am engine with the RoundPort LongBranch manifolds intact - and running. (1 of less than 100 +/- engines produced)
Engine was still factory paint-patina.
In Georgia

Thankfully the old man/owner righteously admitted he swapped the engine himself back in the 70's, to the new owner (PY Member).
It wasn't built, or installed, by Teddy Roosevelt on San-Juan Hill.
George Washington didn't run moonshine with it.
Otis Campbell didn't sign the glovebox.

he didn't need a story

Last edited by Baron Von Zeppelin; 10-17-2021 at 06:02 PM.
Old 10-17-2021, 06:35 PM
Ultimate Warrior

About 15 years ago in the Mojave desert out in a junkyard I saw about a 1968-71 Ford pickup truck with a '70 Ram Air III Pontiac 400 in it. I always thought it was a home grown swap, but after reading this thread, am now convinced it was a factory Black Ops special moonshine running rig from the Ford and Pontiac factories.

Old 10-17-2021, 09:02 PM
Senior Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by geeteeohguy View Post
About 15 years ago in the Mojave desert out in a junkyard I saw about a 1968-71 Ford pickup truck with a '70 Ram Air III Pontiac 400 in it. I always thought it was a home grown swap, but after reading this thread, am now convinced it was a factory Black Ops special moonshine running rig from the Ford and Pontiac factories.
Yep, your conclusion is correct. Pontiac was so grateful to Ford for allowing their engineers to analyze the tunnel port FE head design that they offered a few of their less-than-top-of-the-line 400 engines out of gratitude. Our side gained invaluable information from that exchange which resulted in the glorious Ram Air V. For some reason our guys eliminated the genius split valve cover rail, but oh well, good enough.

Had you thought to glance at the emissions sticker under the hood, you would have seen the engine was referred to as the 400P. They were installed in a little-known special edition truck called the “Blue Tomahawk”. The project was short-lived because the Ford service technicians were unable to locate the distributor when the trucks were brought in for routine service. Even those who were clever enough to trace a plug wire and discover it at the back of the engine could never get the engine to run properly no matter how many times they verified the 1-8-4-3-6-5-7-2 firing order.

1963 Tempest Convertible (195-1bbl, 3-speed transaxle. 428 RAIV, 5-speed, IRS planned) Pictures

Last edited by tekuhn; 10-17-2021 at 09:42 PM.
Old 10-17-2021, 09:08 PM
Senior Chief

Quote:
While I have time to Edit this post, now that I have learned more, I don't think my Engine was ever installed on the line because it has no MVI number stamped on the Block in the appropriate place.
I would suggest consulting a 1967 Pontiac Shop Manual to determine how a 1967 block was stamped. Pretty sure there was no MVI number stamped. Just EUN and block code.

1963 Tempest Convertible (195-1bbl, 3-speed transaxle. 428 RAIV, 5-speed, IRS planned) Pictures
Old 10-17-2021, 09:13 PM
Senior Chief

Quote:

For stories about Royal Pontiac and growing up in a family that raced Pontiacs:

http://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/...d.php?t=560524

For "old wive's tales" and other stories, most of which are about the Pontiac Michigan facility:

http://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/...d.php?t=556607

For more assembly plant experience, including my career with GM:

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=342926

If you don't currently get the POCI newsletter (known as the "Smoke Signals" magazine) I would encourage you to sign up. Dimitri has an article in there every month talking about working for PMD and growing up in the area.

That should keep you busy for a while.

K
Keith, these chronicles of your family history are absolutely fascinating and priceless. Excellent. Thank you.

Old 10-18-2021, 05:42 AM
Suspended

As I read " How cars are built", I envision my 1969 Chevy Impala, 1971 Chevelle, 1981 Camaro Z 28 and the current 1979 Pontiac Firebird TA, flowing down the assembly line. Man, everyone who has not seen this post-I recommend you read it. CRG Research Report: Camaro Assembly Process Camaros.org. Also, Engine lines: Receives Engines and Trans. from six different supplier Plants ...Maybe it was different at the one Pontiac Plant Keith Seymore worked at though. Mike out. I have more to read as I am on assignment still.

Last edited by TRADERMIKE 2012; 10-18-2021 at 05:50 AM.
Old 10-18-2021, 11:31 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
As I read " How cars are built", I envision my 1969 Chevy Impala, 1971 Chevelle, 1981 Camaro Z 28 and the current 1979 Pontiac Firebird TA, flowing down the assembly line. Man, everyone who has not seen this post-I recommend you read it. CRG Research Report: Camaro Assembly Process Camaros.org. Also, Engine lines: Receives Engines and Trans. from six different supplier Plants ...Maybe it was different at the one Pontiac Plant Keith Seymore worked at though. Mike out. I have more to read as I am on assignment still.
Correct. Chevrolet engines could come from a couple different locations (ie, Flint, Michigan, or Tonawanda) but Pontiac engines only came from one place: Pontiac Michigan.

K

Old 10-18-2021, 03:32 PM
Suspended

Keith AND city DESK Post # 110 on 4/15/2008 IN "67 story" - that LIGHT brown deputy CAR HAD MY 1967 428 CI ho TriPower IN HIS CAR BEFORE THE moon SHINER CAME ACCROSS THE engine.

Old 10-18-2021, 08:14 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I am convinced my ‘71 GTO was transported to the future where it received a 455 YC motor and was fitted with SD rods, then transported back to 1971 to serve as a test mule for the rods to be developed in the future for the SD 455. How else can you explain those rods in that engine both of which weren’t even produced until 1973?

I just know Aliens had something to do with it.