Old 10-14-2021, 03:12 PM

Default MSD Atomic 2 EFI and PerTronix HP 510 CDI

Finalizing my build and designing the ignition and air/fuel delivery for my Pontiac ohc6 230ci 4bbl sprint.

the distributor I have converted from points to electronic with the PerTronix kit. Now I consider to add the Pertronix HP 510 cdi box with a Davis Inferno coil - has 1.5ohm resistance.

also I will switch from carb to EFI with the new MSD Atomic 2 and a FiTech in-tank fuel pump.

any experience with any of the products?

follow my project on instagram
Old 10-15-2021, 07:59 PM

I’m in the middle of a swap, but I am taking a different path. I have the base Pertronix so I can use a stock coil and the original resistance wire. I went with a Spectra tank mainly because of price, it is baffled and the pump is in the tank (noise). For the EFI I went with the FITECH 30003 again for price, the availability of stock replacement parts (for example O2 sensor, fuel injector, etc. ) and lastly I wanted a unit that was the smallest available, meaning injector size. Inherently I believe overkilling the HP rating could cause controllability issues. Still waiting on the EFI because of apply issues.

Old 10-15-2021, 11:01 PM
Senior Chief

Hokie, you need to bypass the factory resistor wire for the Pertronix. Do not run it with less than a full 12V. It will not run correctly and may burn it out. It is ok to run a stock coil. Trust me on this one.

Old 10-18-2021, 07:33 PM

The way I read the installation instructions is 12 VDC to the red lead on the Pertronix, then through the ballast wire to the coil. The black Pertronix lead goes directly to the coil. That’s what they show in their diagram.

Old 11-03-2021, 12:02 PM

That is what they show, however when you talk to someone at Pertronix they will tell you to bypass the resistance wire. Are you running an Ignitor I or II?

Exotec: I'm running a Sniper EFI on mine along with a Holley in-tank pump. I really don't see a need for the ignition box on our engines (even with EFI). The stock distributor with a Pertronix II, a hot coil and a good set of wires is more than sufficient spark to get the job done. If you're wanting to be able to control timing with the EFI, it just won't happen, unfortunately.

Old 11-05-2021, 08:22 PM

It’s an Ignitor I with a stock coil. Interesting that the instructions even warn you in bold type to not bypass the resistance wire.