Pontiac - Street No question too basic here!

Old 06-12-2022, 03:50 PM
Senior Chief

Default Crankshaft options - Made in USA

Lets say a guy can't stand Chinese parts and wants to build a 4.00", 4.21" or 4.25" stroke x 3.00" main motor. Are there any made in USA options for sourcing such a crank?

Old 06-12-2022, 04:00 PM

A Crower or some other brand of crank machined from a solid billet is probably the only made in USA option, and even then there’s no guarantee that the billet was USA sourced. Very expensive in the thousands and long lead times.

All the forged cranks come from China nowadays there’s really no way around that, finish machined either over there or in the USA.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to b-man For This Useful Post:
Old 06-12-2022, 04:15 PM
Ultimate Warrior

As b-man said, Billet is the only true American choice and you would need to verify where the billet came from if that's important to you. Crower current lead time is about 6 months and approaching 4K now with all the price increases. A more budget friendly, sort of USA made and with good quality control may be a Molnar Crankshaft. The machining is done in the USA, and their quality control is excellent from my limited experience so far. Other Chinese cranks say the machining is done in the USA as well but that doesn't guarantee quality. Eagle, Scat and some others make those claims. No matter what, you as the customer will need to check it yourself or have a trusted machine shop verify ALL the dimensions when you get it. Good luck.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mgarblik For This Useful Post:
Old 06-12-2022, 07:13 PM
Senior Chief

Thank you b-man and mgarblik for the quick and helpful replies.

Old 06-12-2022, 09:09 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgarblik View Post
As b-man said, Billet is the only true American choice and you would need to verify where the billet came from if that's important to you. Crower current lead time is about 6 months and approaching 4K now with all the price increases. A more budget friendly, sort of USA made and with good quality control may be a Molnar Crankshaft. The machining is done in the USA, and their quality control is excellent from my limited experience so far. Other Chinese cranks say the machining is done in the USA as well but that doesn't guarantee quality. Eagle, Scat and some others make those claims. No matter what, you as the customer will need to check it yourself or have a trusted machine shop verify ALL the dimensions when you get it. Good luck.
Mike, the only Pontiac crank Molnar offers is a 3” main with 4.25” stroke. I know of a few people who asked the owner of Molnar about producing a 3” main 4” stroke forged crank at PRI. His comment was he needed orders to justify producing such a crank. I, for one, would purchase one in a heartbeat. The thought of investing several hundred dollars into a Chinese forged crank, just to have to invest several hundred more into it to make it useable doesn’t thrill me.

Dr. Thomas Sowell
Old 06-12-2022, 10:31 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by hurryinhoosier62 View Post
Mike, the only Pontiac crank Molnar offers is a 3” main with 4.25” stroke. I know of a few people who asked the owner of Molnar about producing a 3” main 4” stroke forged crank at PRI. His comment was he needed orders to justify producing such a crank. I, for one, would purchase one in a heartbeat. The thought of investing several hundred dollars into a Chinese forged crank, just to have to invest several hundred more into it to make it useable doesn’t thrill me.
I thought they had other options. Too bad. I thought Scat forged cranks looked OK but with the company being sold recently, no idea what the quality is now. Usually the first thing to go when a company is purchased are the engineers and QC people. That would concern me.

The Following User Says Thank You to mgarblik For This Useful Post:
Old 06-12-2022, 11:20 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
I thought they had other options. Too bad. I thought Scat forged cranks looked OK but with the company being sold recently, no idea what the quality is now. Usually the first thing to go when a company is purchased are the engineers and QC people. That would concern me.
Molner does have other options, I again wrote and asked them to consider a 4" stroke crank for us.

https://www.molnartechnologies.com/d...-crank-shafts/

1980 Formula 350 Pontiac back burner project
1972 LeMans 350 Pontiac
Old 06-14-2022, 12:00 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
There was thread on here w a forged crank w a hole in it from the factory. Look it up for brand. Not the rope shaft holes either. A deficiency in the forging.

selling turbos and turbo related parts since 2005!

Last edited by turbo69bird; 06-14-2022 at 12:06 PM.
Old 06-15-2022, 11:50 AM

Quote:
OH how true, my builder finds these " ready to use" crank journals tapered , due to poorly prepared grinding wheels and out of spec. , all the time.

Last edited by 1157 motor head; 06-15-2022 at 11:59 AM.
The Following User Says Thank You to 1157 motor head For This Useful Post:
Old 06-15-2022, 12:53 PM
Ultimate Warrior

It's just about a pipe dream anymore to build an engine and have everything "made in the USA"

You might have it machined in the USA and assembled in the USA, and in some states the law allows those companies to claim "made in the USA" when all they are doing is machining or assembling the foreign made parts. California is one of those states. Other states won't allow companies to claim "made in the USA" if there is one single part in the assembly that comes from over seas, doesn't matter whether it's assembled and machined here in the states or not.

So you can see how this becomes a problem. What you see claimed "made in the USA" actually may or may not be depending on which state you purchased it from.

Very few heads are cast here now. Only some of the AFR stuff is cast here, their cheaper line is cast over seas. I think Brodix is the only head company left that casts their own heads currently in house. Even your good Ferrea valves come from Argentina. Basically your engine is going to be a mismatch of various over sea parts, it's about impossible to avoid it.

Best you can do is buy the best parts you know how, and they all won't be "USA", and then find the best machinist you trust to do the work. Then you hope for the best.

https://youtu.be/XqEydRRRwqE
The Following User Says Thank You to Formulajones For This Useful Post:
Old 06-15-2022, 01:17 PM
Ultimate Warrior

FWIW, this outfit claims 100% US made cylinder heads, made in Johnstown Ohio, NE of Columbus.

Of course they don't make anything for a Stratostreak Pontiac.

And another Ohio company, Fostoria Ohio, Callies, cranks, rods and camshafts, claims all their high end is US made. the budget is offshore forgings, machined in Ohio.

Also don't make a single part for Pontiac Stratostreak V8.

If you have a SBC, BBC, or and LS, and some foreign stuff, Callies makes parts for them.

They also do prototype stuff, so maybe they'd make a billet Pontiac crank....... More than likely it would be cost prohibitive though.

1984 Grand Prix

100% Pontiacs in my driveway!!! What's in your driveway?

If you don't take some of the RACETRACK home with you, Ya got cheated

The Following User Says Thank You to Sirrotica For This Useful Post:
Old 06-12-2022, 07:40 PM

Build it off of a 421, 428 or 455 block and drop in a factory 4.00”’or 4.21” stroke cast crank.

Plenty durable for most any Pontiac street engine up to 600 hp which should be more than sufficient.

100% USA made.

There’s no big advantage having a 3.00” main engine on the street.

I do get that at one time 455 and other 3.25” main blocks were hard to source and the more plentiful 3.00” main 400 blocks were one of the driving factors for the introduction of the 3.00” main stroker cranks. Now even the 400 blocks aren’t all that plentiful so I guess it’s a toss up.

Old 06-12-2022, 08:41 PM
Ultimate Warrior

b-man: I really like that idea allot, if USA made is the driving factor. 455 blocks are still out there. Friend of mine recently bought a pair of 455's standard bore with crankshafts, kept indoors for 2K for the pair. They look good.

The Following User Says Thank You to mgarblik For This Useful Post:
Old 06-12-2022, 11:34 PM
Ultimate Warrior

If I had to have a US forged crank I would look fo a 990,cut down to 3 in and weld up the thrust.Tom

The Following User Says Thank You to tom s For This Useful Post:
Old 06-12-2022, 11:41 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom s View Post
If I had to have a US forged crank I would look fo a 990,cut down to 3 in and weld up the thrust.Tom
Tom, in other words do a Smokey Yunick.

Dr. Thomas Sowell
Old 06-13-2022, 12:09 AM

Doing all that work on a 990 SD crank makes little economic sense just to end up with something that’s more or less equal in strength to a new offshore forging at probably 3 or 4 times the cost when you consider what the price of a workable 990 crank is nowadays.

If cost isn’t really a consideration then a worked 990 or a new billet are really your only USA made options if you’re not into running a cast factory crank.

As Tom would say, this is the street section.

I can’t imagine that a prepped factory cast crank couldn’t handle 99% of the hot real street Pontiac engine builds. There’s one member here running 9.40s with a turbocharged 2-bolt main 455 block and crank that’s been together for over a decade.

Old 06-13-2022, 10:02 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Im running 2 cars with factory 421 cast cranks,the one in my Tempest has been in there 22 years now and never out.It had been nitrited,does have Carillo rods and Ross pistons.Many runs over 6000,retired to a 100% street car.Tom

The Following User Says Thank You to tom s For This Useful Post:
Old 06-13-2022, 10:13 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom s View Post
Im running 2 cars with factory 421 cast cranks,the one in my Tempest has been in there 22 years now and never out.It had been nitrited,does have Carillo rods and Ross pistons.Many runs over 6000,retired to a 100% street car.Tom
Tom, there is no doubt that Pontiac cast ArmaSteel and nodular crankshafts are tough pieces. I think nitriding just makes an already durable crank a little more durable. God knows the nitrided diesel cranks I have ground in the past were tough pieces.

Dr. Thomas Sowell
Old 06-13-2022, 02:13 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Gentlemen,

Some of you have seen my post here and on Facebook with the same issue. I was recommended by a gentleman on FB to contact Dave Olsen at
Mile High Crankshaft in Denver (303) 781-6764. I spoke with him at length this morning and he can/will weld up the thrust area and turn down our 3.25 main cranks to fit a 3" main block. He's only about 100 miles from me and I will be taking a crank to him this week. Though he's never done this to a Pontiac crank, he's done it to many Chrysler cranks. I'll gladly share the results. Like most machine shops, he's a bit behind but this is an option.

1980 Formula 350 Pontiac back burner project
1972 LeMans 350 Pontiac
The Following User Says Thank You to Johnny406 For This Useful Post:
Old 06-13-2022, 07:17 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny406 View Post
Gentlemen,

Some of you have seen my post here and on Facebook with the same issue. I was recommended by a gentleman on FB to contact Dave Olsen at
Mile High Crankshaft in Denver (303) 781-6764. I spoke with him at length this morning and he can/will weld up the thrust area and turn down our 3.25 main cranks to fit a 3" main block. He's only about 100 miles from me and I will be taking a crank to him this week. Though he's never done this to a Pontiac crank, he's done it to many Chrysler cranks. I'll gladly share the results. Like most machine shops, he's a bit behind but this is an option.
Thank mgarblik for the info. He is where I got it.

Dr. Thomas Sowell
The Following User Says Thank You to hurryinhoosier62 For This Useful Post: