Pontiac - Street No question too basic here!

Old 04-04-2021, 04:26 PM
Senior Chief

Default Oil Filter Housing Bolts

Hello all,

Thank you for considering this question. Does anyone know what size bolt is used for the oil filter adapter housing?

Thanks.

Northwind with XFlow TBI
4L80E
3.50:1 Rear
Old 04-04-2021, 04:32 PM
Ultimate Warrior

3/8" X 1 1/2" course thread.

62' Lemans, Nostalgia Super Stock, 541 CI, IA2 block, billet 4.5" crank, Ross, Wide port Edelbrocks, Gustram intake, 2 4150 style BLP carbs, 2.10 Turbo 400, 9" w/4:30 gears, 8.76 @153, 3100lbs
Old 04-04-2021, 04:42 PM
Senior Chief

I thank you kindly. Have a GREAT day.

Northwind with XFlow TBI
4L80E
Old 04-04-2021, 04:52 PM
Senior Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary H View Post
3/8" X 1 1/2" course thread.
Do you mind me asking what reference material you have for looking this up?

Northwind with XFlow TBI
4L80E
Old 04-04-2021, 05:02 PM
Ultimate Warrior

wow!
I would be very insulted if it was me who answered your question and now your posting back questioning my answer, HS!

1) 1940s 100% silver 4 cup tea server set.

Two dry rotted 14 x 10 Micky Thompson slicks.

1) un-mailed in gift coupon from a 1972 box of corn flakes.
Two pairs of brown leather flip flops, never seen more then 2 mph.

Education is what your left with once you forget things!
Old 04-04-2021, 05:19 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve25 View Post
wow!
I would be very insulted if it was me who answered your question and now your posting back questioning my answer, HS!
maybe he just wants to know where to look stuff up next time?

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to i82much For This Useful Post:
Old 04-04-2021, 05:35 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by i82much View Post
maybe he just wants to know where to look stuff up next time?
What ^He^ said...

Frank

Old 04-04-2021, 07:48 PM
Ultimate Warrior

people like to jump down other peoples throat in a heartbeat,,,,probably why theres not as many people on this forum as there used to be. Its a turnoff.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to scott70 For This Useful Post:
Old 04-04-2021, 09:29 PM
Ultimate Warrior

1 1/2 may work but it is longer than we use. I believe the factory bolts were 1 1/4 and we usually use 1"
The oil filter housing is about .500 thick.

Old 04-04-2021, 09:30 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve25 View Post
wow!
Maybe it was bad information.

Old 04-04-2021, 09:31 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by PAUL K View Post
1 1/2 may work but it is longer than we use. I believe the factory bolts were 1 1/4 and we usually use 1"
The oil filter housing is about .500 thick.
come on, it’s not that important. what could go wrong?

Old 04-04-2021, 10:01 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
come on, it’s not that important. what could go wrong?
If I wanted to try and figure this out I would assume the OP was trying to put his oil filter housing on his aftermarket Pontiac block and wanted to use the correct length bolts. I would also assume the first gentleman gave his answer based off past experience. I would assume after the OP tried to use the first responders (no pun intended) advised bolt length and found out they were the same length bolts he already tried and didn't work (note time of posts). The OP came back and wanted to confirm with the "first responder" (again no pun intended) why he came up with the same length bolt that he already had come up with and for some reason the bolts were way too long. Now with that being said and already knowing that a bunch of aftermarket blocks aren't threaded as deep as a lot of factory blocks and there is a slim chance a 1.5" long bolt is going to work, I figured I'd politely try to help the OP. Also since I am a weight conscious racer (even though I eat too much) I know a 1" long bolt will work with the factory oil filter housing. Also since I have performed many high end stock type rebuilds where the guys want all the correct bolts where they belong and I have a fairly good memory for unimportant stuff, I recall the factory length bolts are either 1" or 1 1/4" long, but pretty sure an inch and a quarter. However if this seemed like a concourse restoration, which it might be (I assumed a lot here) and it'd give the OP a warm fuzzy to know for sure he was wanting the exact correct OEM length bolt I never would've replied in this thread until I was at the shop tomorrow and could post accurate information by checking a correct length factory bolt..... Fwiw

Old 04-04-2021, 11:10 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
If I wanted to try and figure this out I would assume the OP was trying to put his oil filter housing on his aftermarket Pontiac block and wanted to use the correct length bolts. I would also assume the first gentleman gave his answer based off past experience. I would assume after the OP tried to use the first responders (no pun intended) advised bolt length and found out they were the same length bolts he already tried and didn't work (note time of posts). The OP came back and wanted to confirm with the "first responder" (again no pun intended) why he came up with the same length bolt that he already had come up with and for some reason the bolts were way too long. Now with that being said and already knowing that a bunch of aftermarket blocks aren't threaded as deep as a lot of factory blocks and there is a slim chance a 1.5" long bolt is going to work, I figured I'd politely try to help the OP. Also since I am a weight conscious racer (even though I eat too much) I know a 1" long bolt will work with the factory oil filter housing. Also since I have performed many high end stock type rebuilds where the guys want all the correct bolts where they belong and I have a fairly good memory for unimportant stuff, I recall the factory length bolts are either 1" or 1 1/4" long, but pretty sure an inch and a quarter. However if this seemed like a concourse restoration, which it might be (I assumed a lot here) and it'd give the OP a warm fuzzy to know for sure he was wanting the exact correct OEM length bolt I never would've replied in this thread until I was at the shop tomorrow and could post accurate information by checking a correct length factory bolt..... Fwiw
I was going from memory, and my answer would have been 1 1/4 X 3/8 USS. But my memory isn't always as good as I'd like to think it is. I don't think 1 1/2 would tighten down, but that's just my opinion, going from from my self confessed already less than perfect memory............

1984 Grand Prix

100% Pontiacs in my driveway!!! What's in your driveway?

If you don't take some of the RACETRACK home with you, Ya got cheated

Old 04-04-2021, 11:22 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
that’s a lot of good info. also, my car is held together by zip ties and jb weld. one of these days, i might try adding some bolts

Old 04-04-2021, 11:43 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
that’s a lot of good info. also, my car is held together by zip ties and jb weld. one of these days, i might try adding some bolts
You were probably way ahead of Freibuger and Finnegan, and long before Roadkill.........

They're far from the first people that could butcher a car just enough to get it a few more miles down the road........

They just get paid to do it on TV.

1984 Grand Prix

100% Pontiacs in my driveway!!! What's in your driveway?

If you don't take some of the RACETRACK home with you, Ya got cheated

Old 04-05-2021, 12:00 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirrotica View Post
You were probably way ahead of Freibuger and Finnegan, and long before Roadkill.........

They're far from the first people that could butcher a car just enough to get it a few more miles down the road........

They just get paid to do it on TV.
i’m exaggerating but honestly some of my hacks have turned out a lot better than the mechanical work that i paid for!

Old 04-05-2021, 12:33 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
my car is held together by zip ties and jb weld
Show off...

my bubble gum an duct tape is pert'near as good...

Frank

Old 04-05-2021, 01:39 AM
Senior Chief

3/8x16x 28mm...lol.... Sorry but I had to

Old 04-05-2021, 02:17 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Just don't try those lengths (1-1/2 and 1-1/4) on most stock blocks.

Old 04-05-2021, 02:17 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I would not even consider using a 1 1/2" long bolt there. TOO LONG,
1 1/2" long bolt could be a problem since I just went out and checked a 67 400 block and the hole is 7/8" deep. And I doubt the threads go to the bottom.
If you have 1/2" of thread on a 3/8 bolt in cast iron you are fine. Rule of thumb is you need as much thread as the bolt is wide. A little more is OK.
There is such a thing as too much thread.