Pontiac - Street No question too basic here!

Old 06-24-2000, 12:57 AM

As everyone who has responded to my posts in the past probably know, I am working on rebuilding a 400 for my 79 T/A. Was doing the rebuild with the help of one of my coworkers (a mechanic) whom I bought the car and engine from. He is a mechanic not an engine builder. I am neither of the two, Well after three months of reasearch,contemplating setup, finding parts, ordering and waiting for parts, reordering parts, we finally started getting the engine together. Only to find out We could not work together, He asked for information I reasearched and found it (Alot of it with the help of you guys) He wasnt receptive to very much of what I had to offer although it was valid info. It was questioned I was told I dont know what I am talking about and he didnt care what everyone else said and basically the whole world is wrong except for him. Incidentally the info supplied more often than not proved true. Anyway like I said I am not a mechanic or engine builder but have always maintained and fixed my own vehicles and helped friends with their cars. (never rebuilt an Engine) but I am a good student. Well I am going this one alone now. So what I am hoping to do with this thread is consolidate all of the questions I will have alone the way, So that all the pertinent information regarding my setup will be in one spot so hopefully you guys will check in on me from time to time and offer some insight. Maybe you guys can even get a good laugh at some of my blunders. And not to mention this is a thread I would love to have the privilage of following before undertaking this project. If that makes any sense! So maybe we can even help some of the other less expierienced guys like myself with this.(learn from my mistakes)
Let me know if you all think this thread is a good idea. I am going to need all the help I can get. My current setup (well parts inventory) is listed under HP/tourque guesstimates but I will repost it here sometime soon.
Thanks
Rob
p.s. Might even make senior member by the time this is over!LOL

[This message has been edited by Rob79 (edited 06-24-2000).]

Old 06-24-2000, 12:57 AM

As everyone who has responded to my posts in the past probably know, I am working on rebuilding a 400 for my 79 T/A. Was doing the rebuild with the help of one of my coworkers (a mechanic) whom I bought the car and engine from. He is a mechanic not an engine builder. I am neither of the two, Well after three months of reasearch,contemplating setup, finding parts, ordering and waiting for parts, reordering parts, we finally started getting the engine together. Only to find out We could not work together, He asked for information I reasearched and found it (Alot of it with the help of you guys) He wasnt receptive to very much of what I had to offer although it was valid info. It was questioned I was told I dont know what I am talking about and he didnt care what everyone else said and basically the whole world is wrong except for him. Incidentally the info supplied more often than not proved true. Anyway like I said I am not a mechanic or engine builder but have always maintained and fixed my own vehicles and helped friends with their cars. (never rebuilt an Engine) but I am a good student. Well I am going this one alone now. So what I am hoping to do with this thread is consolidate all of the questions I will have alone the way, So that all the pertinent information regarding my setup will be in one spot so hopefully you guys will check in on me from time to time and offer some insight. Maybe you guys can even get a good laugh at some of my blunders. And not to mention this is a thread I would love to have the privilage of following before undertaking this project. If that makes any sense! So maybe we can even help some of the other less expierienced guys like myself with this.(learn from my mistakes)
Let me know if you all think this thread is a good idea. I am going to need all the help I can get. My current setup (well parts inventory) is listed under HP/tourque guesstimates but I will repost it here sometime soon.
Thanks
Rob
p.s. Might even make senior member by the time this is over!LOL

Old 06-24-2000, 01:28 AM

Actually I got a little caught up in the moment there guys. It wont be that bad. We already got the crank, pistons, and cam installed and I purchased the heads assembled. So I basically just have to make sure I get everything else together properly. Although I would like to see someone post throughout their ENTIRE rebuild so we can follow it.
Rob
p.s.
will still be seeking input through this thread. Nothing is ever as simple as it seems. Right?