Interior TECH Upholstery, Carpet, Dash, Headliner...

Old 01-27-2015, 02:59 PM
Senior Chief

Default remove springs from seat back foam??

My 69 Firebird seats are covered in Std upholstery.
But, apparently they are deluxe seat back frames as they have the springs embedded in the seat back foam. My uncovered seat back frames do not have any springs on them as the 67/68/69 standard upholstery would.

Of course, I bought the seat foam kit from our host for 69 standard interior in which the foam does NOT have the springs embedded.

So rather than purchase another seat foam kit for the 69 deluxe, has anyone ever removed the seat back springs from the foam that its embedded in, and attached it to the seat back frames and then used regular foam over it??

Thanks,
Rich

Old 01-27-2015, 10:01 PM
Senior Chief

can you post a couple of pics, I think I know how to fix your problem, very easy and cheap

Old 01-27-2015, 10:59 PM
Senior Chief

on LEFT is original foam with embedded springs, right is new foam WITHOUT springs
Click image for larger version

Name:	seats 002.jpg
Views:	100
Size:	46.9 KB
ID:	388600

Close of of embedded foam spring

Name:	seats 003.jpg
Views:	87
Size:	50.4 KB
ID:	388601

seat back frame as it came out

Name:	seats 004.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	64.9 KB
ID:	388602

Old 01-30-2015, 06:56 PM
Senior Chief

FGTerry, any ideas?

Old 02-26-2015, 02:05 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default SEATS

MOGEO...WHEN REDOING MY 72 SEATS I USED & recommend A.C.I. seat foam only!!! (enough said)..yes my lower seat springs were in great shape but the new A.C.I. only seat foam is like sitting on a brand new seat...a new seat frame is used and foam molded over...inferior repro foam requires CUTTING??!!..later horsecollar & standard 2nd design wire lower front seat springs are available as a repop..but back to your seats..AMERICAN CUSHION INDUSTRIES makes the 67-68 STANDARD..1967 DELUXE...68-69 DELUXE....69 STANDARD...1969 DELUXE SEAT FOAMS...I would use A.C.I. 69 standard with your 1969 standard seat covers...was a standard & deluxe seat frame used for 1969 (I do not believe so) and since only a 1969 repop seat frame is offered most likely one frame served all....I had a 70 ESPRIT so I am used to the lowback seat design...it is also possible that there may be some cosmetic differences or even an updated manufacturing change from the A.C.I. compared to an original...if you use the year foam A.C.I. sells along with a well made seat cover (I used LEGENDARY) and although I know some are more do it yourselfers..but I know without steam,a trim shop expert ($200 or more per seat) and the best materials will only yield concourse results...for me anyway...morale: I do not believe you should be thinking of dissecting an original foam (was your car originaly standard or deluxe?) and making your own...go A.C.I.

Last edited by transam1972; 02-26-2015 at 03:02 PM.
Old 02-26-2015, 07:54 PM
Senior Chief

Thanks for the info.
I bi the bullet and bough new seat back foams with the springs embedded. What a difference. The seat backs look like new.

Old 11-16-2015, 10:33 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I'm working on 69 standard seats right now. It appears that two types of seat backs were used -- one with embedded springs, the other with the springs attached to the frame. Did your original bottom foam have a u-shaped indentation in it. The ACI repops only have the grooves on the sides and they say the u-shape is for 68. I'm guessing they're either mistaken or the factory used 68 foam on 69s

Who did you get your spring embedded foam from, Al Knoch?

Old 11-16-2015, 11:11 PM
Senior Chief

My seat Backs had the springs embedded in the foam
My bottoms had the U shape you speak of.
Needs to buy 2 sets. I forget if it was our host or CI. Either way they took back the other set as a return. I am also very happy with the quality so far Car is a quality driver not a points queen.

Old 11-17-2015, 12:45 PM

Its not standard vs deluxe- its a early 69 vs late 69 design change.

The dark grey foam with the springs embedded in it needs to be separated from the original bun, then the new bun gets installed over it.

They were glued together, so you can kind of peel them back, but then will need to use a sharp carving knife to separate them without ripping the grey one. Some peel away easier than others.

I've done this several times for both 69 camaros & firebirds. Its a pain, but better to do that and be able to use the good ACI buns than to have to use the overly stiff classic industry one peice buns....

Once separated, find the centerline of your new bun & the old grey spring bun, and glue the grey one inside your new one. I usually cut the hogring slits in the listing channel of the new bun just to make sure things are lined up as needed, and so you aren't fishing to find the rod later when trying to attach the cover listings.

The mount the two buns together onto your seat frame as you normally would- again double checking the centerlines between the frame & the bun.

Last edited by rambow; 11-17-2015 at 01:00 PM.
Old 11-17-2015, 12:55 PM

had to look at an earlier project for better pics...

the new ACI bun:

grey "spring" bun set inside the new bun

both buns install together onto frame just like a normal bun (using hogings on the attaching cloths)

As i said before, be sure to check and double check the centerlines of the buns & the seat frame itself.
Since the cover listings get attached to the grey "spring" bun, and its floating on the frame, not actually attached- it can very easily be off center- and the central headrest post will really show if the cover is misaligned at all..

Last edited by rambow; 11-17-2015 at 01:01 PM.
Old 11-17-2015, 06:25 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Like you said: early versus late standard seats. I think the change came in Jan. The backs ACI sells don't have the muslin on the bottom to attach to the frame and their bottoms only have the slits/indentations on the sides. All of the seat bottoms I've taken apart have the u-shaped groove, but they say that is for 68. Either the factory used 68 bottoms in 69s or ACI is wrong. Anyway, I've been in contact with Al Knoch who now make the cushions and they look better than the ACI ones. They also say the springs are embedded in them. I'm just trying to verify the u-shape in the bottom.

Old 11-18-2015, 04:05 AM

are these the same design as the covers you are trying to use?

here on the bare lower frame that it does have the horseshoe shaped wire on it.

and the original 1969 firebird lower bun, WITH the horseshoe channel in it- so you are correct that it had the horseshoe channel-

factory underlayment after removing the bun.

So not sure if any of that helps, or just reinforces what you already knew... I just enjoy trying to figure out the differences between the stuff :-)

Old 11-18-2015, 08:31 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Yup, those are the ones. It looks like it's always the same two side springs that break. They should have put more than one on each side. I welded my broken ones. Also had one that broke at the back.