Old 07-24-2013, 10:00 PM
Senior Chief

Default AC help in the pocono, allentown area

Hi All-
Need help with my 68 Firebird Convertible. I can figure out most anything mechanical, but don't know squat about AC. All the parts are there, but wont hold a charge more than a few days.
Can you recommend anyone who can help me out, not who just wants to throw new parts at it?
Thanks

Old 07-24-2013, 11:03 PM
Ultimate Warrior

AC is mechanical.whats been done?change any hoses?r-12 or 134a?

Old 07-26-2013, 07:52 AM
Senior Chief

Previous owner converted it to 134A. Stock compressor. I don't know what a POA valve is, or if mine was eliminated needs to be. I know there is a pressure switch that has a small flathead screw under the electrical connector. When I had a charge, if I moved that screw I could alter how often the compressor cycled.

But, I had a local AC shop evacuate and charge it. He also changed a hose that had come apart. I was told that it was charged effectively, but he was not happy with the temp or volume of air coming out of the vents. By the time I played with the distribution doors and changed the blower motor resistors, the charge leaked out... about 2 weeks.
Local AC guy says, get ready.... you must have a leak. Thanks! He didn't really want to spend the time looking for that leak but would be happy to re charge it for me with leak detector dye. He told me to get a black light to then look for the leak.

Can I put this dye in myself? Suppose the leak is in the "suitcase" somewhere? I need a local guy to help me out I think

Last edited by mogeo; 07-26-2013 at 07:53 AM. Reason: forgot something
Old 07-26-2013, 08:45 AM
Ultimate Warrior

So it was holding a charge before the AC shop changed the hose?

Old 07-26-2013, 10:46 AM

Yeah you can buy the dye at any parts store I just did. The 134a with dye costs 21.00 and the glasses and little light are another 16.00. If you order online and pick up in the store you can save 10.00 by using the code ES123. I have not put it in my system yet still need to find a belt for the AC but probably this weekend

Old 07-26-2013, 11:23 AM
Senior Chief

TA- Cool ididnt know I could buy the dye and glasses.

Pepi- There was a broken hose that was replaced by the AC shop. It didnt hold the charge after it was replaced for more than a few days. Before it was replaced, it was just broken and hanging off. The AC shop said the wrong fitting was on the hose which is why it broke.

Old 07-26-2013, 05:48 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

This won't help with your problem, but if you have the pressure switch with the adjustable screw by the condensor, your POA has been replaced with a POA delete or eliminator.

Old 07-26-2013, 06:30 PM

I meant to put I bought this at Advance Auto and the code will only work with them