73-77 A-body TECH Includes 73GTO, LeMans, Grand Am, Can Am

Old 05-27-2015, 11:17 PM

Default HELP! Car not running right!

I posted this at the Abody forum and thought I would post it here also.

I profess to be more shade tree than mechanic, so I was hoping I could get some help here. My 73 GA started running funny the other day. It seems like it's missing and kind of stumbles and bucks when I'm cruising. If I jump on it, it seems lethargic, and if I back off on it right away, it occasionally pops back out the exhaust. It seems to start and idle ok, though I have noticed that it will idle fine for a while and then drop down a couple hundred rpm.

I checked all the spark plugs and they look almost new, though they have about 10,000 miles on them. I thought it was the fuel pump so I replaced it, but it didn't change anything. I pulled the fuel filter and again nothing changed. I tightened down the carb bolts and no change.

My thought was maybe the timing chain, but a neighbor seems to think the cam may be going. The car has just over 100,000 miles on it, so that's possible I guess.

I changed the distributor out about 4 years ago to an old HEI unit. At the time, I bought an advance kit, coil, control module, and cap for it, and it has been working fine.

I replaced the stock 2 barrel with a q-jet and an edelbrock performer intake manifold.

Anyways, before I went any further, I thought I would post here to get some feedback. As always, thanks in advance for any suggestions.

Dan

Old 05-27-2015, 11:43 PM

Dan, I replied on A Body site

Old 05-28-2015, 01:08 AM
Suspended

Me to. Always remember a vet for your freedom.