Pontiac - Street No question too basic here!

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 05-06-2012, 06:08 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Default Oil dripping from the rear of the engine while installing it into my car.

After a nearly complete restoration on my 69 convertible this winter, I was re-installing my engine and transmission today and noticed a real bad oil leak when I tipped the rear of the engine down to clear the transmission under the body. It looks like it may be coming from the oil pan gasket at the rear main cap. I have read many of the posts on this forum concerning oil leaks from the rear main seal and the pan gasket and I would think that oil wouldn't be leaking from the rear main seal if the engine isn't running. I purchased the car a year ago and the engine was supposed to be rebuilt with about 2,500 miles on it. It did look like a fresh motor, but I have always had a small oil leak from the rear of the engine. It was hard to tell how bad it leaked because I had a really bad transmission fluid leak also. I can see that I have the rubber 5 tab pan gasket, so my money is on that being the issue. Any thoughts?