Pontiac - Street No question too basic here!

Old 06-29-2000, 11:28 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I would like to discuss some things around fuel mixture settings with quadrajets and mechanical fuel pumps problems and soulutions and syptoms of problems. I had a 400 last year that with the stock AC pump the little short one. It would totally die out at the top of each gear. I changed to a new larger can AC pump and with my 455 it does not die or cut out now. I also changed to richer primary jets at the same time as the pump. I have 75 jets and 45 Rods, my secondary rods are .041 tips I think. I can see a little blck smoke when I rev it in nuetral punching the pedal. I don't know about on the road but probably the same. It runs pretty good but seems a litle flat after the initial punch on the pedal. It runs smooth but just does not seem to be moving the speedo needle like I think It should. I am thinking I'm a Rich on the carb primarys and may be looseing fuel pressure on sustained heavy throttle but not enough to cause cutting out if this is possiable. I am concidering puting my 72 jets back in and driving it. MPG is about 10mpg car is 77TA with 4 speed and 3.42 gear. timming is approx 34 total in at 2500-2800 Rpm some light pinging under light load 2000-2500 rpm none on heavy throttle. 9.6 compression 230/236 @.050 cam .490 lift.

Old 06-29-2000, 11:28 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I would like to discuss some things around fuel mixture settings with quadrajets and mechanical fuel pumps problems and soulutions and syptoms of problems. I had a 400 last year that with the stock AC pump the little short one. It would totally die out at the top of each gear. I changed to a new larger can AC pump and with my 455 it does not die or cut out now. I also changed to richer primary jets at the same time as the pump. I have 75 jets and 45 Rods, my secondary rods are .041 tips I think. I can see a little blck smoke when I rev it in nuetral punching the pedal. I don't know about on the road but probably the same. It runs pretty good but seems a litle flat after the initial punch on the pedal. It runs smooth but just does not seem to be moving the speedo needle like I think It should. I am thinking I'm a Rich on the carb primarys and may be looseing fuel pressure on sustained heavy throttle but not enough to cause cutting out if this is possiable. I am concidering puting my 72 jets back in and driving it. MPG is about 10mpg car is 77TA with 4 speed and 3.42 gear. timming is approx 34 total in at 2500-2800 Rpm some light pinging under light load 2000-2500 rpm none on heavy throttle. 9.6 compression 230/236 @.050 cam .490 lift.

Old 06-29-2000, 03:56 PM
Ultimate Warrior

It could be that your secondaries are coming in too fast. Have you tried adjusting the spring that controls the speed that the secondaries open? Your mileage should be a lot better that 10 MPG.

Tim Corcoran

Old 06-30-2000, 08:57 AM

i agree with tim. you're probably rich on the primarys. if the secondary spring is set to weak it will cause both problems.
my 72 g/p with a 455 .060 over, raiv cam, 2 1/2 duals,th400, with 3:55 rear end pulled 16 mpg with a/c on the highway. mike

moderator is a glorified word for an unappreciated prick..................

"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the
former." --Albert Einstein

"There is no such thing as a good tax."

"We contend that for a nation to tax itself into prosperity is like a man standing in a bucket and trying to lift himself up by the handle."

- Winston Churchill