Pontiac - Street No question too basic here!

Old 08-03-2000, 02:03 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I found a Borg Warner ST-10 transmission in a Pick a Part and bought it. The transmission came out of a 3rd generation Motor Sports Edition Firebird. The transmission has 6 rings around the input shaft, a iron main case and an aluminum tailshaft housing. Does anybody know what the gear ratios for this transmission is and how much torque it will take?

Old 08-03-2000, 02:03 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I found a Borg Warner ST-10 transmission in a Pick a Part and bought it. The transmission came out of a 3rd generation Motor Sports Edition Firebird. The transmission has 6 rings around the input shaft, a iron main case and an aluminum tailshaft housing. Does anybody know what the gear ratios for this transmission is and how much torque it will take?

Old 08-05-2000, 12:09 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Ken,
I almost bought a ST-10 out of an 82 Camaro. Almost. I called Super Shops (been a few years) and asked about the shifter/linkage. My buddy at the counter tells me not to- the shifter is on the wrong side (to make room for the torque arm mount). I was still sorta interested, so I called a couple of tranny guys. They both said it would hold up to a mild street Pontiac, but not to push it.
Actual torque capacity- dunno. Maybe 350 lbs.??

------------------
John

Old 08-10-2000, 12:45 PM

I was looking at 4-speed info recently and seem to recall seeing 375 ft-lb capacity for a super T-10.

Larry

'63 421SD LeMans...
in pieces in my garage
and basement
Old 08-10-2000, 01:39 PM
Ultimate Warrior

The only information I have been able to find out about ST-10 transmissions is that the more rings on the input shaft the lower the first gear is and the weaker the transmission is. The shifter is on top of the transmission and the shifter mounting plate bolts to the passenger side of the transmission, two of the bolts that hold on the shifter plate go all the way through and have a nut on the end so I think I can just put the shifter plate on the drivers side. NASCAR uses ST-10 transmissions so they can't be very weak. I am planing on using the transmission behind a healthy 400 with about a 3.00 ratio 12 bolt rear end so I need the low first gear, I just hope the tranny is not to weak.

Old 08-11-2000, 02:17 PM
Ultimate Warrior

i HAVE A Trans like this in my 77TA with 455 and 3.42 rear gear. I am finding that I can run as fast starting in second gear as I can in first due traction. I have run 14.25 at 107 starting in second and 14.25 108 from first and I can't launch the car hard at all on street tires. The tranny seems to be living ok so far but the street tires are acting like a safty valve.

Old 08-18-2000, 04:34 PM

Your transmission is the weakest of the S-T10's. The first gear ratio is 3.42, 2nd 2.28, 3rd 1.46. The torque rating is 286 ft. lbs. There's a good website for T10's at www.richmondgear.com

Old 08-18-2000, 06:52 PM
Ultimate Warrior

John, thanks for the info. I went to the Richmond gear site and saw the gear ratios listed but the transmission I have has an iron main case and the ones listed on there site does not list other than what they sell. I wonder if there was any changes in the transmissions when they changed over from Borg Warner? I don't doubt the transmission I have is the weakest of the bunch since it was used behind a 305 engine. I wonder if just the difference in the first gears lowers the torque rating? The 2.28 second gear is almost the same as a Muncie M21 first gear ratio. I was going to use the transmission behind a Pontiac 400 engine but now I wonder if it will snap like a twig.

Old 08-19-2000, 01:23 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I thouhgt Id follow up on this. I have improved to running 13.20 at 114.4 with this same transmission. no problems other than getting traction. I am doing this on regular street radials. I might break it with slicks but so far so good on street tires!

Old 08-21-2000, 04:08 PM

Ken, There's another transmission webpage that may help. www.gearzone.net It has an open forum on t10's.

John