THE LOBBY A gathering place. Introductions, sports, showin' off your ride, birthday-anniversary-milestone, achievements, family oriented humor.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 10-19-2009, 04:43 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default Agreed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirrotica View Post
Concrete blocks are the absolute worst things ever to hold a car up. Most people place the block on it's side to get a flat surface to work from. The block isn't engineered to carry weight this way and it collapses without any warning.

Years ago I was scraping a chevy PU and we threw a concrete block under one of the brake drums as we removed the wheel to pump up the tire. It was temporary just for a few minutes and no one was going anywhere near the bottom of the truck. I was standing there talking to someone and that block just crumpled into pieces, it was less than 5 minutes, It made a believer out of me.

I asked a fellow worker one time that was under a car with no stands under it, if the car fell off the jack or it failed, was he strong enough to lift it off himself? He went and got 2 stands after I said that.

I had a teacher in Vo Tech that told a story about a guy that had a car on a bumper jack working on the brakes. He was seated on the ground with legs spread when the car fell down pinning his privates to the ground. No one was around and he had only a pocket knife and performed surgery himself in order to free himself from his situation.
I don't know if the story was true or not but it really got the attention of a bunch of teenage boys about the dangers of working with no stands under the car.....LOL
I caught my son working under his car with nothing but a floor jack once and after dragging him out by the feet, read him the riot act. He said he never saw me that mad before.

“Nothing in the world can take the place of persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts. Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent. The slogan Press On! has solved and always will solve the problems of the human race.”
― Calvin Coolidge