THE LOBBY A gathering place. Introductions, sports, showin' off your ride, birthday-anniversary-milestone, achievements, family oriented humor.

Old 07-25-2023, 12:50 PM

Default Most expensive production pontiac ever sold?

Could this be the most expensive factory production Pontiac ever sold?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JCUCnlZs9pU

If not please add it to this thread (extra points for supporting proof)

Frank T

Old 07-25-2023, 01:03 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I’m still blown away by that price I’d have personally thought a bird of some kind would be more valuable than a GTO but I’ve always been a bird person lighter more nimble, Same Hp just makes more sense to me. Not that I don’t like GTOs but power to weight the bird wins

selling turbos and turbo related parts since 2005!
Old 07-25-2023, 01:30 PM
Ultimate Warrior

The Super Duty Tempest/Lemans cars (six coupes; six wagons) have changed hands for $1M in the past.

K

George Delorean's car:

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Delorean 63 Detroit Dragway.JPG
Views:	402
Size:	39.9 KB
ID:	616689  

'74 Chevelle - original owner, 9.85 @ 136 mph besthttp://www.superchevy.com/features/s...hevy-chevelle/
My Pontiac Story: http://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/...d.php?t=560524
"Intro from an old Assembly Plant Guy":http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=342926

Last edited by Keith Seymore; 07-25-2023 at 01:39 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to Keith Seymore For This Useful Post:
Old 07-25-2023, 01:37 PM
Senior Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbo69bird View Post
I’m still blown away by that price I’d have personally thought a bird of some kind would be more valuable than a GTO but I’ve always been a bird person lighter more nimble, Same Hp just makes more sense to me. Not that I don’t like GTOs but power to weight the bird wins
GTO is a better quality automobile than the bird ;-) Body on frame construction vs unibody/subframe, 4-link suspension vs. leaf springs. Iconic special edition in its signature color. Still, I’d wager a guess that a 69 T/A convertible restored by Supercar Specialties or other prestigious shop will meet or even surpass this amount.

Old 07-25-2023, 01:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith Seymore View Post
The Super Duty Tempest/Lemans cars (six coupes; six wagons) have changed hands for $1M in the past.

K

George Delorean's car:

Where the super duty tempest/lemans considered production cars? I thought they were back lot swaps done for factory racers?

Speaking of SD's were the 62/63 full size super duty cars considered production vehicles?

Old 07-25-2023, 02:24 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank T View Post
Where the super duty tempest/lemans considered production cars? I thought they were back lot swaps done for factory racers?

Speaking of SD's were the 62/63 full size super duty cars considered production vehicles?
My own thought, the '62 & 63 SD Cats & GP's, though very special, in a few respects, could be considered production vehicles. The main thing that put an end to the '63 production was Pontiac head office & the ban of front door support for racing.

With the '63 LeMans Coupes & Tempest wagons, it took some serious pull to get one of those delivered. Took a similar really special deal to obtain a Swiss Cheese '63 Cats. Love that Delorean Coupe!!!

As far as fetching a million plus USD, there has to be at least one '69 TransAm convert that has sold for over a million.

Old 07-25-2023, 03:45 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I recall some years back that a 69 TA convert was sold for $1.3m. May have been a private sale.

Old 07-26-2023, 06:20 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Most of us will never know what changes hands privately, I could imagine that yes there has been at least one sell for more. Maybe the thread should be 'sold at auction'.

Old 07-26-2023, 06:27 AM
Ultimate Warrior

2023-07-26_06-23-38 by Kerry Grubb, on Flickr

Im not implying that this car has been sold but it was at a show I had a vehicle in a few years ago (keeneland Concours). When this thing was running the ground shook! It was kind of funny, the motor shut off when he was in the staging lane to get a trophy. For some reason it would not start back up, a few guys said they would push start it. The owner just laughed and said no way that a few guys could do that!

Old 07-26-2023, 11:20 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank T View Post

It certainly could be argued either way (and I anticipated this question):

Pro -
Built down the regular assembly line (initially)
Build quantity of 12 is higher than some other highly sought after full fledged production cars (like a '71 Judge convertible)

Con -
Retrofit after the fact with aluminum sheetmetal and "worn" front tires
In the case of the Swiss Cheese cars - frames were reinforced with lumber to provide support while being built down the line

K

'74 Chevelle - original owner, 9.85 @ 136 mph besthttp://www.superchevy.com/features/s...hevy-chevelle/
My Pontiac Story: http://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/...d.php?t=560524
"Intro from an old Assembly Plant Guy":http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=342926
Old 07-26-2023, 12:02 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by einstein View Post
I recall some years back that a 69 TA convert was sold for $1.3m. May have been a private sale.
I think that was at a Mecum auction also.
1 Mill plus 20% buyer & 10% seller fees

Same final bid as this OrbitO Jvert.

However , Mecum waives the seller fee when they truck in a collection of cars (multiples).
So OrbitO was 1.2 Mill

The Brothers Collection has 3 T/A Convertibles
And they haven't had all those for real long.
Unknown what they paid for the second and third cars , but was told (unconfirmed) that they were the buyers on the Mecum Auction car.

Old 07-26-2023, 12:32 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by will slow gto View Post
GTO is a better quality automobile than the bird ;-) Body on frame construction vs unibody/subframe, 4-link suspension vs. leaf springs. Iconic special edition in its signature color. Still, I’d wager a guess that a 69 T/A convertible restored by Supercar Specialties or other prestigious shop will meet or even surpass this amount.
See any cars made w body on Frame construction anymore?
Heavy and unnecessary. But I agree w the 4 link. Although I’ve got friends going 8s on leaf springs so they can’t be all that bad .

Old 07-26-2023, 12:39 PM
Ultimate Warrior

No matter how you slice it I’m happy to see Pontiacs brining good money and being appreciated publicly. For many years the top Pontiacs traded hands behind closed doors and the world had no idea they actually brought big money .

In return they never got as much respect from the general hobbyists. as some chevies of equal ( if that possible) stature.

It’s always nice to be able to say look it up !
And a rising tide floats all ( Pontiac) boats so it’s good for Pontiac owners.