Old 01-12-2014, 11:28 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default 71 Lemans Sport Convertible

I've been aware of this car for about three years and through a couple of owners. Described as a solid, driver quality car with a 20 year old original color paint job. Original white interior with bucket seats & a console. Seats are in pretty good shape but need cleaned up.
After market radio in dash. Chrome in good shape. Original ( as far as I know) 350 motor, auto trans, air conditioned. New tires on nice rally II rims. Top has a couple of small tears & will need replaced. Gonna pick it up tomorrow. Bought it for myself, not to flip. Maybe my next Hot Rod PowerTour car.
I know it's hard to put a value on these. Curious about what this crowd thinks a driver quality car like this is worth..
I'll be posting more pictures when I get it home...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	001 vert sized.jpg
Views:	156
Size:	52.6 KB
ID:	349160  

http://www.gogtoaa.com/leibys%20rides.html
Old 01-13-2014, 07:40 AM
Ultimate Warrior

That looks great!

Congrats.

Winner of Top Class at Pontiac Nationals, 2004 Cordova
Winner of Quick 16 At Ames 2004 Pontiac Tripower Nats

KRE's MR-1 - 1st 5 second Pontiac block ever!

"Every man has a right to his own opinion, but no man has a right to be wrong in his facts."

"People demand freedom of speech to make up for the freedom of thought which they avoid." – Socrates
Old 01-13-2014, 08:39 AM
Ultimate Warrior

NICE!

And go racin' in the street.

Bruce Springsteen - Racing In The Street - 1978
Old 01-13-2014, 08:41 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Thats a nice looking car. On the net I see people asking more for a lemans than a similar GTO

Old 01-15-2014, 01:49 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Car is home. Trunk & floorboards are solid. Car starts & runs well. Master cylinder needs work, exhaust needs work. Needs a lot of cleaning & detailing. Chrome is all like new. I was disappointed to see a big oblong hole in the dash with a modern radio in it. Ugly as hell.(why would anyone do that?) Not sure what to do about it yet. I'm gonna upgrade the AC.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	drivers door.jpg
Views:	76
Size:	53.0 KB
ID:	349423   Click image for larger version

Name:	drivers side.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	48.0 KB
ID:	349424   Click image for larger version

Name:	front.jpg
Views:	89
Size:	76.9 KB
ID:	349426   Click image for larger version

Name:	headin home szd.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	37.5 KB
ID:	349427   Click image for larger version

Name:	Pass side.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	57.6 KB
ID:	349428  

Old 01-15-2014, 03:12 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Txbobcat View Post
Thats a nice looking car. On the net I see people asking more for a lemans than a similar GTO
'71 & '72 are the two years where what amounts to a handful (remaining today) of factory assembled high performance LeMans were built, & consequently have brought more money or are higher valued than similarly equipped same year GTO. It has to do with how many such equipped T-37's or LeMans were originally ordered. Also to the fact that in '72, there were no GTO convertibles, only LeMans converts which a few were ordered with 400's & M22's, or with 455 HO's.

Nothing puts a smile on my face more than to mention to a condescending & often uneducated & chest bulging GTO owner, how many '70-72 GTO's I've dragged in & cut up, with quite a bit of of doors, decklids, rear 1/4's & roofs being sold to go into same year LeMans restorations (not clone "GTO"s). It usually silences the "why would you want to put money in a LeMans" crowd.

Old 01-15-2014, 03:39 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Thats a great looking car,is that lucy blue,nothing wrong with a lemans,especially this one

Old 01-15-2014, 03:44 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I've had a bunch of GTO's over the years. A couple of years ago a friend found a 67 Lemans survivor I bought from the third owner. Cleaned it up & drove it, leaving my 71 455 GTO in the garage. Last year it took Sr Gold in the POCI Survivor Class. I also bought the white 66 Lemans you see in the picture below, last year.
I would like to make this my Hotrod Powertour Car..

Old 01-15-2014, 04:52 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by lazlo View Post
Curious about what this crowd thinks a driver quality car like this is worth..
NICE! Nothing beats an Lucy/Ivory Vert! Love to have one of these in my garage and have been looking for one myself.

On the high end, a 71 CC/Ivory Lemans Vert sold at Mecum in the last year for $30K, albiet a 350 to 400 converted car done very nice!

On the other end, I looked at 71 Lucy/blue 350 vert on Criagslist for $10K. Decent driver just needing a new top.

Worth and selling prices are usually two different things.

Old 01-15-2014, 05:58 PM
Ultimate Warrior

That is a great looking ride! Have fun!

Old 01-16-2014, 10:53 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Same car?

http://www.yenko.net/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php/ubb/showflat/Number/556754/gonew/1/1971_Lemans_Sport_Rag.400/4__$#UNREAD

If so, you got a killer deal.

Congrats.

Scott

Old 01-16-2014, 11:04 PM
Ultimate Warrior

bulletpruf: no, that one has blue guts.

Old 01-17-2014, 12:29 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Mine is an AC car with an Ivory interior. It also has a solid trunk, floors and body. Pretty much rust free.

Old 01-17-2014, 09:40 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Sweet looking car and the right color combo.

Car is a junk yard dog and maybe one day will be restored.
Old 01-25-2014, 09:58 AM

I have a 71 convertible with the 455/TH400 that is in for paint right now (coincidentally) Lucy blue as well. It will be identical to this car as it also has the ivory interior. No 8 track though. Mine is a sport that originally had the endura front end which is long gone now. My car was originally atoll blue but lucerne blue is my favorite, thus a color change. It's pretty rust free, aside for a small hole in the driver floorboard that I fixed years ago. It was originally a 400 car but I had this 455 built for a different car that was since sold and I dropped pulled the non orig 400 out and opted for the super sweet 455. My car is missing all the badges, can you tell me what badges go on the grill and the rear deck? My car has pypes exhaust that I put in myself and. The sound is amazing. My car is also an air car but everything is missing there so that's a later project. It should be back together in a month or so. Bumpers are out for chrome and a new top is scheduled as soon as paint is finished. I hope it looks as good as yours. Thanks for posting pics.

Last edited by j69shep; 01-25-2014 at 10:07 AM.
Old 01-25-2014, 10:07 AM

Oh and to your question of what it's worth I'd say mid to high 20s. I bought mine for 2500 from a coworker 8 years ago after engine change and much work it appraised for insurance purposes as 12.5k in mostly unrestored clean condition.

Old 01-25-2014, 05:53 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by j69shep View Post
I have a 71 convertible with the 455/TH400 that is in for paint right now (coincidentally) Lucy blue as well. It will be identical to this car as it also has the ivory interior. No 8 track though. Mine is a sport that originally had the endura front end which is long gone now. My car was originally atoll blue but lucerne blue is my favorite, thus a color change. It's pretty rust free, aside for a small hole in the driver floorboard that I fixed years ago. It was originally a 400 car but I had this 455 built for a different car that was since sold and I dropped pulled the non orig 400 out and opted for the super sweet 455. My car is missing all the badges, can you tell me what badges go on the grill and the rear deck? My car has pypes exhaust that I put in myself and. The sound is amazing. My car is also an air car but everything is missing there so that's a later project. It should be back together in a month or so. Bumpers are out for chrome and a new top is scheduled as soon as paint is finished. I hope it looks as good as yours. Thanks for posting pics.
This is the only thing in the grill... don't have one of the trunk right now but I'll get you one...
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Grill 1 szd.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	213.5 KB
ID:	350768  

Old 01-25-2014, 08:35 PM

Great looking 71!

Old 02-06-2014, 08:02 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I have spent some time on this project.. I climbed under the passenger side of the car with some degreaser & cleaner. I exposed what I believe is the original paint on the rock solid floor bottoms. Solid trunk floor has been cleaned and refinished.

Interior has been pulled, cleaned, polished, painted and re installed. Two of the wheel wells have been detailed. I cleaned the bottom of the gas tank and gave it a coat of grey paint, as it looked rough.
after I get back from a month in Florida we'll be pulling the original motor, cleaning & replacing what needs replaced and detailing the engine compartment.

All in all I'm liking the car and there haven't been any big surprises. I think it's gonna be a great driver.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	1 szd.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	196.6 KB
ID:	352064   Click image for larger version

Name:	3 szd.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	48.7 KB
ID:	352066   Click image for larger version

Name:	4 szd.jpg
Views:	26