Old 12-09-2012, 06:47 PM

The ones I have are the bottom style and yes, they do slide around a bit in there. I hadn't noticed before and I hope I didn't lead y'all down the garden path. I was just so tickled to be able to find the refills rather than replace the blade. I guess I'll have to see how they hold up...

Old 12-10-2012, 03:16 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by ken66 View Post
The ones I have are the bottom style and yes, they do slide around a bit in there. I hadn't noticed before and I hope I didn't lead y'all down the garden path. I was just so tickled to be able to find the refills rather than replace the blade. I guess I'll have to see how they hold up...

Just be sure to try them before you really need them. We had rain here Sunday, and I was driving the car. They worked if I used them for one swipe at a time (I have Rain-X on there), but when I slowed down and had to let them run continuously on the low setting, it only took about a dozen consecutive passes before they came unhooked and started to come out of the arm. I am going in this week to get new ones for my truck and will put the snap to fit ones on. They are stainless metal on the sides and have a tang that fastens on both sides of the end instead of just one (no way to compress & slide out). I'll cut with a Dremel to get the correct length. If all else fails I will replace the rubber in the old ones & JB the end closed.

13 Smiles per Gallon:
66 Bonneville wagon
66 Bonneville 2d HT - In perpetual progress
Old 12-10-2012, 04:48 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

I don't know if this would work on yours, but I was able to get the correct length refills. They wouldn't fit the blades, but I was able to take the rubber part out of the metal and insert into the original refill. It fit perfectly.

Old 12-12-2012, 04:45 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Well, tried the Trico 47-800 cut to fit refills. They are the right width and would clip in & hold, but they will not slide in b/c of the exposed rubber on the top side. Might be able to figure out how to get them in, but it will be a trick. Only other thing I know to do is make a piece to go into the spring clip on the Anco U18-R to keep it from pinching & falling out.

13 Smiles per Gallon:
66 Bonneville wagon
Old 12-13-2012, 09:18 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Question ??????

Guys, I've been reading this thread for some days and I am finding it REALLY HARD to believe the problems you seem to have on getting replacement re-fills.

I have absolutely NO PROBLEMS getting any number and various sorts of these over here.

If anyone is stuck, I'm more than happy to get some and post them over at my cost price.

Basically, we buy refills in set lengths and then "snap" them off at the required length. You then just cut the rubber to the length you need and slip them in.

Happy to help out anyone in trouble

Ian

Old 12-13-2012, 09:39 AM
Ultimate Warrior

The news only gets better. I was buying the snap to fit refills at Advance yesterday, and the counter lady told me that they were getting ready to phase out all refills.

So, in our progression to USSA, we will now be importing spare parts from Australia.

Undoubtedly we will be in touch Ian.

13 Smiles per Gallon:
66 Bonneville wagon
Old 12-13-2012, 11:13 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Send a message via Yahoo to AROWHED

Been fighting this problem for years..ever since the old refills went the way of mom and pop auto parts stores. Have modified the newer style blades to work but like Bruce said, it's a crap shoot. On the GP, with it's center park wipers, sometimes they'll strike the reveal stainless at bottom of windshield.

Old 12-14-2012, 01:40 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deadhead View Post
The news only gets better. I was buying the snap to fit refills at Advance yesterday, and the counter lady told me that they were getting ready to phase out all refills.

So, in our progression to USSA, we will now be importing spare parts from Australia.

Undoubtedly we will be in touch Ian.
Bruce, I'll get you a set and post them over to you. It's Christmas.....

After you get them you can post up your impressions on them and if anyone else needs some, as I said before I'm happy to arrange it. But let's make sure you think they are OK before I start posting them off to others.

Send me a PM with your address and I'll get it happening

Cheers

Ian

Old 12-14-2012, 10:06 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Default Wiper craziness

Ian,

The whole thing is like some silly comedy routine.

I guess the first thing is to make sure we have the same wiper assembly! I am sure this is the case, but considering the distance between us that is probably a good place to start. I am working with '66 GP & Bonnevilles. I have got a half dozen assemblies and all are the same.

If you have a set of refills that you can take a picture of the clip end of that would be great. As best I can tell, these are an 8mm equivalent. The length does not appear to be as critical. I think I have used 17 1/2 and 18" blades and maybe even 17" at one point.

The only real issue is the outboard attachment point/fastener. It has to be able to sustain bumping on the molding or the pressure of the arm stopping/changing direction when fully extended in the cycle.

Maybe just a part number would get us all headed in the right direction over here. I checked the NAPA # referenced in the thread, and it is the whole arm assembly not the refill.

More important than all this... How are you recovering my friend?

My e-mail is 63 Safari@gmail.com

Merry Christmas!

Bruce

13 Smiles per Gallon:
66 Bonneville wagon
Old 12-14-2012, 07:38 PM

I got the refills that showed up for my 62' Grand Prix at Napa. They were the entire assy, but the rubber part looked correct so I bought them. Took them home, pulled out just the new rubber portion and slid it into my original wiper assy (like a refill). Worked perfectly! Was driving in the rain (to the POCI convention) 5 min later. Wish I had my car at the house so I could take pics for ya, but my car is in storage at my parents. Good luck

Old 12-15-2012, 08:18 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Talking

Quote:
Ian,

How are you recovering my friend?

Merry Christmas!

Bruce
Recovering REALLY well thanks Bruce. I busted my leg on August 7th and I was told to look forward to the pins being in for 6 months and another 6 months before I was sort of back in shape.

Well, I went to the doctor for a scheduled examination 3 months less one day. He was looking at the x-rays and said I think these pins might be able to come out sooner than we thought. Not soon enough for me I replied. He looked at me and OK, 7am tomorrow!!!

So, 3 months to the day, the pins were out.... I checked into hospital at 7am, had a general anesthetic at 9am, was in the recovery ward at 10.15, missus came to pick me up at noon and I went straight back to work.

NOT what I was supposed to do but when you are running your business, the incentive is pretty strong to get going again. Never took one pain killer either. That was 5 weeks ago.

I'm back walking in shoes again, driving the (manual) Hi-Ace van so using the clutch with my crook leg. Gets a bit sore sometimes but you just have to keep going. Even the physio is fairly amazed at what I have been able to do fairly quickly.

Still, one heck of a wake up call. Not something I ever want to repeat...

I'll use this note to wish ALL my Pontiac friends a wonderful Christmas and a great New Year. Thanks to you all for your freindship and communication.

Cheers

Ian

Old 12-15-2012, 08:21 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Ian,

I guess the first thing is to make sure we have the same wiper assembly! I am sure this is the case, but considering the distance between us that is probably a good place to start. I am working with '66 GP & Bonnevilles. I have got a half dozen assemblies and all are the same.

Bruce
Bruce, My '66 Grand Prix, my '65 Bonneville and my '65 Parisienne ALL use the same wipers so I can't see why mine can be any way different to yours.

E-mail is on the way

Ian

Old 03-02-2013, 05:30 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Dudes! I figured out a way to fix this. I think you only need to do it on the driver's side.

I took the stainless clip off and swapped it to the other end of the refill and reversed it in the arm.

Push in the tab a little on the end you are going to move it to so that the stainless clip has a place to go (bottom wiper first Pic below). Bend the tabs on the clip so you can get it in the track of the refill. Put it on, bend the tang down into the hole in the refill and push the clip back in shape so it is snug on the plastic. Done. Just touches my garnish molding like the other. Mine may be a couple splines off since I just reinstalled wiper arms.

The first Pic is of the two different ends in the center of the windshield. The one with the longer groove is where the clip is originally located. The One with the little divot on it is the end you want to put the clip in now. Might want to put a dab of silicone caulk on the slotted end to make sure the blade stays in.

13 Smiles per Gallon:
66 Bonneville wagon
Old 03-18-2013, 03:45 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Default 18" refills

http://www.ebay.com/itm/261180760884...84.m1438.l2649 " Just sayin"

Old 07-02-2022, 10:58 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Old thread but this is still an ongoing challenge to find a correct blade.

I had a remnant of an original trico blade on set of ‘65 arms. The ones with the steel ribbed backing. It measures 17.5 inches x 0.343 inches.

I don’t know if an 18” refill will work or not. Will they interfere as the close together?

So if there an update as to what you’re finding that works well please share.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk