Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 03-30-2022, 06:02 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Default Report on the results of your help

Had a good night in the shop, lots of things went right. While working on various systems I realized mentally I was always referencing information I learned in the best forum section on PY .. the 68-69 section

So you will know where I am in the process, where I'm going, where I've been, I'll post some pictures, yes the dreaded large pictures.

Tonight I installed the steering wheel I restored ... was the typical cracked, split original wheel that I filled with the flexible 3M product everyone uses on the Endura (at first I used JB weld ... just the temp changes in the shop made it crack again) got it painted and looking pretty good, time will tell if it will crack again. It's painted the color is it because the steering wheels on the Ivy Gold interiors is a slightly different color than the dash/column .. more of an Olive color than the Ivy Gold.

I know there are still a lot of problems in the photos .. but I'm still in the testing phase, lots of wrong parts will be replaced before it's all done.

I transitioned from DC power supply to automotive battery power tonight. I've been using the DC power supply to a: limit the potential to fry things b: to keep and eye on current flow to various components.

Now I can run things like the blower motor at full speed, wipers on high, multiple components on at the same time etc. AND the radio works astoundingly better using proper battery power.

Probably the big story of the evening was the IMI mini-starter ... in the engine photo you can see some little electronic jumpers I was using to power things (kind of a fusible link between the battery and electrical system) ... well, that's all I ran to the starter, NOT the main battery cable. I wanted to test the repop ignition switch so I turned it to the start position expecting to just hear a solenoid click ... with that tiny wire it turned over the engine no problem, I was amazed ... yeah the little wire got kind of warm ... but didn't melt. So I'm assuming with the new 2 ga all copper cables I have coming that starting will not be an issue.

Also a photo of my GTO work space ... which is like a Where's Waldo picture .. a lot going on there ... small area, lots of stuff in it.

So ... thanks everyone for help, information, parts and encouragement.