Old 02-21-2012, 04:16 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Gator,

That does my heart good!

Drive it Dude!

Beautiful car, just beautiful!

Charles

Old 03-21-2012, 05:21 PM

Thanks for the kind words Jeff, glad to be a part of such a fantastic restoration and I am glad you enjoy the radio. Best regards, Jim

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gator67 View Post
I realized today that it's been a while since I posted an update (a month in fact), and that I failed to post more pics as promised.

Here's photo of the finished interior. I had the steering wheel remolded by our host, and it came out great. I have a thread in the PY Customer Satisfaction forum where I posted before and after pics--and also pics of a wheel that was restored using a different method. Jim Shepard (j69shep) from Phoenix restored the AM/FM radio and installed an auxiliary input, the unit looks and functions perfectly.

The photo of the trunk shows the spare tire mounted on a HURST wheel. I secured the wheel by tapping a reproduction center cap so that it would screw on to the hold-down bolt (which I had to extend a couple inches). It works quite well. Don't know what to do with the jack base now, though I'd never use it with the bumper jack to lift the car.

Finally, here's a photo of the finished engine bay. The battery topper looked kind of cheesy in the package, but installed on the car it looks really good.

In terms of an update. I drove the car a couple hundred very enjoyable miles. The car we so reliable I didn't think twice about driving it all the way back down to the shop in Stuart so a couple issues could be take care of. The issues were pretty minor, but Steve's such a great guy, he stands behind his work 100% and was happy to take of it. I'm looking forward to getting the car back soon, that's for sure. I won't think twice about driving it home this time!

Old 03-21-2012, 05:55 PM

Quote:
Thanks Squid. I've seen your car on your website. You've done a remarkable job on it. I can appreciate what you started with, for I grew up in CT and had a 67 LeMans that was in the same shape when I gave up on it (in 1977). I noticed that your car came with the wire wheel discs--mine too. My car is an HO 4 speed, and I think it's odd that someone would order these performance options together with the wire hubcaps.

I was reading this thread and had to mention that my HO convertible was also a wire hubcap car as well.

Mike

Old 03-21-2012, 06:07 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by j69shep View Post
Thanks for the kind words Jeff, glad to be a part of such a fantastic restoration and I am glad you enjoy the radio. Best regards, Jim
I was just thinking about you the other day as I drove past your neighborhood. Are you going to make it out to Pontiac Heaven?

Old 03-21-2012, 06:08 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by onethunderbird View Post
I was reading this thread and had to mention that my HO convertible was also a wire hubcap car as well.

Mike
So Mike, when are you going to post more pics of your beautiful car?

Old 03-22-2012, 01:41 AM

Hello Jeff,

I took a few pictures the other day, not a very good photographer however. Still, hope you enjoy!!

Old 03-22-2012, 09:06 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Sir,

Such a BEAUTIFUL car, I really enjoyed looking at your pictures.

One question though, why is the voltage regulator turned 90° from normal and so close to the data tag in this picture?

Charles

Old 03-22-2012, 09:17 AM

Good question Charles, it was in that position when I bought the car, I have a new regulator and thanks to you will be mounting it in the correct position!! thanks for bringing that to my attention!! As much as I've poured thru the assembly manual and made sure everything was correct that detail eluded me!! Thanks also for the kind words about the car, she is eye candy and sometimes I find myself wandering out to the garage and just staring at it, the design engineers at Pontiac did themselves proud!!!

Take care Charles!!

Mike

Old 03-22-2012, 09:26 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
I find myself wandering out to the garage and just staring at it
Yep, know what you mean! Been doing that for 44 1/2 years.

Let me know if you need measurements or details on where to put it.

Charles

Old 03-22-2012, 09:34 AM

PM sent Charles. Thank you!!

Old 04-09-2012, 06:44 PM
Senior Chief

Looks awesome. There was a Linden Green ragtop with parchment at the 2011 GTOAA show in Portland. It was the first time I'd ever seen the color combo, and I had a hard-time taking my eyes off of it!

Old 04-09-2012, 06:56 PM
Senior Chief

Jeff - I was going back in time thru your pics in this thread and i saw one of your trunk (before you relocated from FLA) and saw the dreaded green trunk mat. i'm sure someone might have told you, but be wary, those things trap moisture unlike anything I've ever seen. I live in a pretty arid area, and it still trapped moisture on mine. I know you live in super-dry Arizona now, but if you leave the mat in there full-time, check underneath it regularly.

Rob in Nor-Cal

Old 04-09-2012, 08:44 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Thanks for the compliment Rob, and also for reminding me about the trunk mat.

Old 04-09-2012, 09:05 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default My GTO now has a little sister!

We haven't named her yet, but as you can see in the photo, she's a cutie! For some reason my wife isn't comfortable driving the GTO--she said it bothers her that the tires spin unnecessarily when she accelerates away from a stop light--so we bought something a bit more tame/subtle for her to drive...a very original 68 Firebird 400 convertible with an automatic. Definitely more of a relaxed driving experience as compared to the GTO. It also has AC, so it will be good for the summer here (which is coming quick, it got up to 93 today).
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	sisters.jpg
Views:	75
Size:	68.9 KB
ID:	281191  

Old 04-09-2012, 10:44 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Congrats again, Jeff! I can't wait to see the '68 in person...

And I feel your pain with the warmth today. I took my GTO's rear out this morning and took it over to Glenn in AJ for him to look at. That 93 degrees translated into 199 degrees on the wagon @ 70 mph down the highway. But that's okay, as it was a fun 150 mile roundtrip day. And anytime you get to spend that much time behind the wheel of a vintage Pontiac, it's a good day!!

'74 Bonneville 4dr Sedan (455/TH400/2.93 open)
'72 LeMans GT (455/M-13/3.23 [8.5"] posi)
'71 GTO Hardtop (400/TH400/3.07 12 bolt posi)
‘71 GTO Convertible (455HO/TH400/3.23 posi)
'67 GTO Coupe (455/ST-10/2.93 posi)
'67 Tempest Wagon (428/TH400/2.56 posi)

Deuteronomy 8:3
Old 04-10-2012, 12:39 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Thanks Todd! Glenn must be very good if you're willing to drive that far. It's good to know there's someone in the area that can help us with our classic Pontiacs. Given my skill set, I'm sure I'll be a frequent customer. If you're in town this weekend, perhaps I'll see you. We're either going to do the Central Ave Cruise or the Pavillions (it's Pontiac night I believe). We'll have the 68 with with us. The GTO will be getting some well deserved rest after Pontiac Heaven. Gosh, that was so much fun!

Old 04-10-2012, 12:46 PM
Senior Chief

Quote:
We haven't named her yet, but as you can see in the photo, she's a cutie! For some reason my wife isn't comfortable driving the GTO--she said it bothers her that the tires spin unnecessarily when she accelerates away from a stop light--so we bought something a bit more tame/subtle for her to drive...a very original 68 Firebird 400 convertible with an automatic. Definitely more of a relaxed driving experience as compared to the GTO. It also has AC, so it will be good for the summer here (which is coming quick, it got up to 93 today).
Jeff that's a nice Firebird!!!!

I have a question about your GTO.....Did Steve in Hobe Sound do the interior and the convertible top install???

Old 04-10-2012, 01:07 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Thanks Paul. Steve did some of the interior work, but I believe he used an upholstery shop (which is next door to his shop) to install the seat covers and top. I couldn't be any happier with the outcome. By the way, I've been following your thread. Your car looks amazing!

Old 04-10-2012, 01:16 PM
Senior Chief

Quote:
Thanks Paul. Steve did some of the interior work, but I believe he used an upholstery shop (which is next door to his shop) to install the seat covers and top. I couldn't be any happier with the outcome. By the way, I've been following your thread. Your car looks amazing!
When I saw your car at Steve's I thought the interior was very nicely done!! Still plugging away at mine.....man it's been a slow go!!! Interior, glass and top needs to be installed. However, everything except the top has been purchased!

Old 04-10-2012, 03:17 PM
Ultimate Warrior

[QUOTE=Gator67; I also get lots of question about the Hurst Wheels. They take a bit of work to keep clean, especially the ones on the front because I have disc brakes.

Jeff, Install a set of Ceramic disc brake pads on the fronts and your dust issues will all but disapear and simplify the cleaning of your beautiful HURST wheels. If you are running a GM single piston front disc brake set up it is most likely a D52 pad. You will be very pleased with the Ceramic.

Tim john---.