Old 12-04-2003, 04:05 PM

I want to change the roto trans in my '64 GP to a turbo 400. What changes to the rear cross member, auto shift linkage, and drive shaft will be required? I have the turbo 400 and the flexplate. What other parts will I need? Thanks!

Old 12-04-2003, 04:05 PM

I want to change the roto trans in my '64 GP to a turbo 400. What changes to the rear cross member, auto shift linkage, and drive shaft will be required? I have the turbo 400 and the flexplate. What other parts will I need? Thanks!

Old 12-04-2003, 05:01 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Go to "62-66 Big Pontiac Tech." and click on 64 GP 421 questions. Most everything you will need to know.

Old 12-04-2003, 06:02 PM

a 68to72lemans or cutlas driveshaft will fit perfect with a long tail transmission, you will need the yoke that goes with the trans.

Old 12-06-2003, 11:30 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

I would have to send you pictures of my wagon. I took all the Grand Prix stuff and put it in a 63 wagon. I have all the original GP stuff in this car and the engine and trans is a 455 w/turbo 400. The swap is easy and all you have to do is minor modifications to the shifter and crossmember. I took a piece of 1/4" steel if I remember right and it's approx, 6-8" long. 3" on one end and 2" on the other. I drilled this to mount to the trans and the crossmember then welded it to the crossmember. I mounted the crossmember under the frame and welded two ears on the sides that hold the original rubber in place. This is for tunnel clearance. the shifter down arm needs to be bent to clear the tail shaft and the linkage needs to be adapted a little. I used a piece of tube welded to the original rod then had a threaded piece that slips through the tube. Double nutted this make a very nice adjustable linkage. if I remember I changed the lever on the 400 to point up. this made the shifter move the trans in the proper direction. If you need more info let me know at

rdrrcofab@yahoo.com (Rick)

I will get pictures out and measurements. It's not that hard. Point of note! make sure you have the starter holes in the bottom of the block for the starter. 63's and some 64's didn't have them. The Roto's starter bolts to the bell housing. not the 400's.