Members Helping Members help Buying a non Pontiac item, transportation help, Handy-man advice, directions, vacation ideas, places to dine, ebay and generally anything you think might help other members.

Old 06-22-2023, 10:07 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default covering T-111 on a garage

So I have a 15 year old garage insulated walls with plywood walls.
Exterior is T-111. Some of it got dry and rough. Other areas discolored as determined by direction it faces. It has had a Lot of the stain/ " water proofer" which is now well over 50 bucks a gallon. The T-111 drinks this stuff and my 3.0 nozzle lays it down, seals those creases.
To reduce time working on it, would like to put the metal building wall ( whats on my roof) , on the T-111. Should I " wrap" the garage with TYVEX first? Thanks for your thoughts.

Old 06-23-2023, 05:49 AM

My bare T-111 sided shop was about 15 years old & looking pretty sad & weathered- probably about the same as what you're describing.

About 5 years ago, I had my buddy Jeff who is professional painter get after it.
I hit it with a power washer first, and it brought it back amazingly. Looked almost new again.

Think it still looks pretty good IMHO, 5 years later.
Might have him put another coat on it next year or two.

Jeff's got a sweet looking barrier blue Tripower 66 GTO.
You might know him if you're in our area of the NH seacoast.
I'm sure he'd give you a good deal as one of our local pontiac brethren.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	A.jpg
Views:	95
Size:	86.1 KB
ID:	614720  

1965 GTO (Black) TRIPOWR
464CI TriPower 4-Speed

1965 GTO (Blue) 3X24SPD
464CI TriPower 4-Speed
The Following User Says Thank You to 3X24SPD For This Useful Post:
Old 06-23-2023, 08:37 AM
Ultimate Warrior

The tyvek or type of material will act as a vapor barrier. I would see no problem with putting the metal siding on and since your facing a heated space would probably use it just because. If I were doing so, I would run 1x3's on a horizontal pattern 2' o.c. to attach the siding to. This will leave an air space and not trap moisture between the siding and the plywood.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TAKerry For This Useful Post:
Old 06-23-2023, 01:55 PM

Some kind of underlayment is required or you risk rot in the T-111 from condensation. But probably not an actual vapor barrier like polyethylene sheet. Tyvek isn't a vapor barrier, it blocks air and liquid water penetration but is still permeable to vapor. So it does not trap moisture and I expect that is what TAKerry meant.

I suggest you check with your metal supplier to ask what they recommend for your locale. They likely have guidelines for warranty purposes if nothing else. The details of the existing wall construction may matter, like what kind of insulation or is there already a vapor barrier on inside or outside the insulation or tar paper under the T-111 etc....

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Nobuddy For This Useful Post:
Old 06-23-2023, 05:50 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

You can also buy metal roofing that has “flock” already on the backside if that works for you.

I have some on my last garage addition and no sweating on the inside in winter.

The Following User Says Thank You to jww For This Useful Post:
Old 06-24-2023, 04:57 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Yes, I stand corrected. Plastic is a no no as it will indeed trap moisture. You need to let the moisture out of the building.