Pontiac - Street No question too basic here!

Old 12-24-2022, 04:12 PM

Default Anyone alumaweld?

Curious if anyone has ever used the alumaweld rods on a radiator? My shroud ate into the tubes on a couple spots. Figured it’s worth a try before I buy another one but if anyone has any advice on it I’m all ears.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

77 T/A- poncho 400| T-10|3.23| I beams|Hyper flat top pistons|Kre heads|Scorpion rockers|Xr276 hydro roller|Rpm intake|Smi qjet|Subframe connectors|Rancho sways|Mcleod super street|hydro clutch|More i cant remember
Old 12-24-2022, 04:48 PM
Ultimate Warrior

If it’s a brass radiator and not aluminum then solder it up with a propane torch and the right solder and flux.

If its aluminum I would use Permatex repair kit 09116, worked great for me the one time I had to use it.

Old 12-25-2022, 02:23 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I have used the aluma rod type things before., They worked good when I used them . Not sure if it’s the same thing grabbed them at a swap meet Kim da like a brazing rod for aluminum correct?

selling turbos and turbo related parts since 2005!
Old 12-25-2022, 06:16 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

It works ok. keep it clean and not too much heat.

Old 12-25-2022, 08:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbo69bird View Post
I have used the aluma rod type things before., They worked good when I used them . Not sure if it’s the same thing grabbed them at a swap meet Kim da like a brazing rod for aluminum correct?

Yup that’s them. Have used them in the past on some random garage projects but nothing remotely serious. We shall see. Figured if we can close it up and it holds psi it saves me 300 bucks so it’s worth a shot.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

77 T/A- poncho 400| T-10|3.23| I beams|Hyper flat top pistons|Kre heads|Scorpion rockers|Xr276 hydro roller|Rpm intake|Smi qjet|Subframe connectors|Rancho sways|Mcleod super street|hydro clutch|More i cant remember
Old 12-31-2022, 01:21 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Wonder if you could use something like Alum Bond in that application? Metal epoxy designed for aluminum repairs. I recently used it for a trans tail housing repair and posted a video on it - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T4d2wud1X1I&t=117s

Old 12-31-2022, 03:12 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I had a Z24 cavalier that the fan nicked the aluminum radiator and cut a couple of tubes from a collision. Being dirt poor at that particular time, I opted for a can of brake clean to clean the aluminum, and mixed up some JB Weld, let it sit 24 hours and put it back in service. I drove the car for 5 more years, and went 80,000 miles until the nylon timing gear disintegrated. I sent it to the scrap yard with that same radiator still holding fine. I'd do it again if I needed to fix an aluminum radiator.

I believe you could accidently ruin the radiator trying to aluminum braze it, and the epoxy would be a safer repair. That's my experience repairing an aluminum radiator, take it for what it's worth.

BTW, I have used the alumaweld solder you asked about, and it worked just fine, but it was on thicker material than a radiator core is. It may work fine, but the epoxy works just as well without risking doing further damage.

Just for the heck of it I went on You Tube and searched Alumaweld radiator, here's the results:

https://www.youtube.com/results?sear...aweld+radiator

Watch the videos, and decide for yourself.

1984 Grand Prix

100% Pontiacs in my driveway!!! What's in your driveway?

If you don't take some of the RACETRACK home with you, Ya got cheated