Pontiac - Street No question too basic here!

Old 11-15-2010, 12:49 AM

Default Anyone having heat soak issues with a summit mini starter?

So here's the scoop....

This is the second Summit starter that I have had on the car, When cold it cranks and starts beautifully. When hot I get a grind or slow cranking out of the starter. The engine is a 455, with Doug's 4 tube headers. Here's what I have done so far.

New Battery
Battery is trunk mounted with 00 Welding cable and all connections are clean, I soldered on the lugs
Grounding cable run directly to starter bolts
Starter engagement is dead on
New Ignition switch
The engine wiring harness is an M&H repop and new as well

I was under the impression that the minis did away with heat soak, anyone else having an issue. I can wire in a ford solenoid, or is my answer a better quality mini-starter?

Is there anything I might be missing?

Old 11-15-2010, 08:37 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I had the same/similar issue with the Summit mini-starter on the T/A. I finally went the remote Ford solenoid route and that solved the problem. Also like the fact that the cable/wires at the starter are not 'energized' all the time.

69 Bird w/1970 400 block(409 cubes), #64 heads, hyd. roller, Q-jet by Jeff E., original interior, ps, pdb, th350, and 3.73 gears. Pump gas, street driven muscle. 3800 lbs. race weight. Best, 11.39 @118, my son's car.

79 T/A w/463, Scat crank, Eagle rods, Icon pistons, Lunati solid roller, 262/270, KRE 325 heads, Northwind intake, QF950 carb, full interior, ps, pdb, th350, and 3.73 gears. Pump gas, 3650 lbs. race weight. 10.68 @ 126 so far... no tuning yet.
Old 11-15-2010, 08:52 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I would get, mount and wire two ford solenods in parallel as I have found they are not holding up like they used to , as I have had two in the last 3 years weld themsevels up in the closed cranking position and belive me thats no fun once the motor starts!!!

1) 1940s 100% silver 4 cup tea server set.

Two dry rotted 14 x 10 Micky Thompson slicks.

1) un-mailed in gift coupon from a 1972 box of corn flakes.
Two pairs of brown leather flip flops, never seen more then 2 mph.

Education is what your left with once you forget things!
Old 11-15-2010, 09:05 AM

I have been having the same problem for three years and none of the solutions covered on this site have helped. I have the Powermaster starter so I don't think its unique to any brand.

Old 11-16-2010, 12:31 AM

I have a mini starter on my 78 T/a 400 also. Running headers as well. My car after it gets hot, turns over great, just gets no spark. I've got a ten minute window, between when it shuts off and turned back on, if not I pull out the ignition module, put in a different one, it fires right up. Been doing this for about 10 years! I've done it in a Taco Bell drive through in under 6 minutes!! Would it be safe to say, the headers are getting the engine compartment to hot for a daily driver?