The Body Shop TECH General questions that don't fit in any other forum

Old 09-26-2004, 08:18 PM

I wanted to get some opinions on a paint job I had done about 2 years ago. My 80 TA had the usual paint 'cracking' going on on the hood, roof, and trunk before I got it painted. Due to too much rust on the hood I have a fiberglass one now so its not a problem on the hood. But on the trunk and roof I can now see the cracks again. I cant feel them with my finger, but you can see them - especially when the car is in the shade. When it is in the sun you cant see them as well.

I had this paint job done by a friend of mine's dad who is a body shop manager at a dealership. He prepped it at home and then painted it in the booth. It took him almost a year to do it. When I picked it up he said there were flaws in the roof that he would have to redo when it was warmer. I also noticed he put the rear side markers in on the wrong sides and upside down and scratched the fender when putting the hood on.

Now that you have all the background - should I call the guy and try to get something done about it - or just wait til it really needs a paint job and get a reputable shop to do it? I really don't want to be without the car again for another year and I am not sure I am comfortable with him working on my car again. When he did it the first time it had a wrecked interior, bad paint, but a nice motor. Now the car is basically show quality.

Just looking to get some opinions - thanks

Old 09-26-2004, 08:18 PM

I wanted to get some opinions on a paint job I had done about 2 years ago. My 80 TA had the usual paint 'cracking' going on on the hood, roof, and trunk before I got it painted. Due to too much rust on the hood I have a fiberglass one now so its not a problem on the hood. But on the trunk and roof I can now see the cracks again. I cant feel them with my finger, but you can see them - especially when the car is in the shade. When it is in the sun you cant see them as well.

I had this paint job done by a friend of mine's dad who is a body shop manager at a dealership. He prepped it at home and then painted it in the booth. It took him almost a year to do it. When I picked it up he said there were flaws in the roof that he would have to redo when it was warmer. I also noticed he put the rear side markers in on the wrong sides and upside down and scratched the fender when putting the hood on.

Now that you have all the background - should I call the guy and try to get something done about it - or just wait til it really needs a paint job and get a reputable shop to do it? I really don't want to be without the car again for another year and I am not sure I am comfortable with him working on my car again. When he did it the first time it had a wrecked interior, bad paint, but a nice motor. Now the car is basically show quality.

Just looking to get some opinions - thanks

Old 09-26-2004, 08:32 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Basically what you're seeing are "spider" cracks.
They are from the paint underneath..
Provide me some more info... and I'll be able to better advise you on what needs to be done..
paint type, primer used, etc.