Old 06-20-2015, 11:19 AM
Senior Chief

Default Reverb Speakers?

I've seen the Separa-Phonic and Verba-Phonic speaker options listed for these cars but I've never heard either one. Does anyone here have ones that still work? Does anyone have a video of them in use? I tried searching youtube but didn't have much luck.

Old 06-21-2015, 08:32 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Separa-Phonic was a rear speaker option independent of the Verba-Phonic.
IIRC the rear speaker could be added to any radio/option, but was part of the Verba option.
But I'm not 100% on that.

There are several functioning units at the shop I'll see if I can make a video.
Basically it was described as a "Concert Hall" sound, in reality it's a delay/echo box.

Sounds tinny at best, IMO just another sales gimmick

Old 06-21-2015, 10:22 AM
Senior Chief

Thanks Jeff, that would be great if you can make a video. I've wondered what it sounds like for years but have never had the opportunity to hear one.

Old 06-21-2015, 02:55 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I had one in my 1st 66 GTO. It wasn't bad but after hearing real stereo like had in the 80s and today, it wasn't all that great IMO. I have the reverb unit in the 66 GTO I have now but it's not hooked up to anything. I don't even know if it works or not.

Gary
Get in, ShuT Up, Hang On!
Member of the Baltimore Built Brotherhood
MY GTO built 4th Week of March 1966
"Crusin' Is Not A Crime"
Keep yer stick on the ice.
Old 06-21-2015, 03:19 PM

My '67 GP has the U84 option on the PHS. It has the push button AM radio and the Reverb switch on the dash but the previous owner took out the reverb unit and rear speaker and added a CD player to the console with a 6 disc changer mounted under the rear package tray. The reverb harness is missing. He also mounted two speakers under the rear package tray.

I'd like to restore the reverb. Does anyone have pictures of a factory installed reverb unit mounted in the trunk? What would be the correct ohm speaker for the reverb rear speaker?

Is anyone running a factory reverb system and a modern radio system at the same time? Could it be done? Would an antenna y-splitter be able to support both radio systems?

If this could be done, I'd hide the modern system. I'd also need a new trapezoid shaped piece of the burlwood console vinyl to replace the current one that has the modern radio currently mounted. Does anyone have any experience with any of the aftermarket vinyl replacement kits?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P1010853.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	77.3 KB
ID:	401011  

Old 06-21-2015, 09:04 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Default Reverb Speakers?

have the reverb option in my 66 gto, not a stereo I know but when I show this to people it blows them away in my opinion everybody has stereo radio's but not many of us have working reverbs, especially with the AM FM radio. jd grim 66 gto

Old 06-21-2015, 09:38 PM

Way back in 63 I bought a 62 Ventura. I had to have a reverb so I bought and installed it. Big waste of time and money. Sounded awful.

Old 06-22-2015, 01:38 AM
Ultimate Warrior

You can duplicate the effect by finding a 20' long section of pipe about 24" in diameter and set an old AM radio at one end and listen at the other end of the pipe. An added feature was the bump alarm - hit a good bump or dip too fast and you would swear someone dropped a piano on your roof. Despite that, I really liked mine back in the day.

Old 06-22-2015, 06:56 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by lust4speed View Post
You can duplicate the effect by finding a 20' long section of pipe about 24" in diameter and set an old AM radio at one end and listen at the other end of the pipe. An added feature was the bump alarm - hit a good bump or dip too fast and you would swear someone dropped a piano on your roof. Despite that, I really liked mine back in the day.
All I could find was an 18' long pipe. Will it still work ?

HPP Sept. 2014 https://www.hotrod.com/articles/1972...-gee-no-g-t-o/
YouTube MCACN 2014 http://youtu.be/1IPQVPevbxU
1967 GTO Conv
Old 06-22-2015, 08:23 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Talking Lights, Camera, ACTION

OK, the '67 was closest to the door so we tuned in the AM radio as best as possible.
This '67 is an HO, PS, PB, 4spd, Limited Slip with AM Radio W/ Reverb ??
Thats how she came

This reverb is adjusted slightly higher/tighter so the twang is greater.
Don't think this short vid clip will give the full clear effect but here goes...
http://vid412.photobucket.com/albums...B/IMG_2839.mp4

Echo Echo Echo

The unit in the '65 is lighter and IMO really doesn't give that "Concert Hall" effect
So I didn't bother to record it.

FWIW;
Below is a pic to show the adjustment screw.

Last edited by Jeff Hamlin; 08-29-2015 at 06:10 AM.
Old 06-23-2015, 12:24 PM
Senior Chief

Awesome! Thank you for taking the time to do that Jeff! It does kinda sound like a radio at the other end of a 20' long piece of corrugated pipe as lust4speed described. LOL

Old 06-23-2015, 12:31 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Like I said, mine isn't hooked to anything and I don't intend to use it. Never cared for it even back in the 60s and 70s. It's just in there to say it's there, and proof it had one. LOL

Gary
Get in, ShuT Up, Hang On!
Member of the Baltimore Built Brotherhood
MY GTO built 4th Week of March 1966
"Crusin' Is Not A Crime"
Keep yer stick on the ice.
Old 06-23-2015, 01:47 PM
Ultimate Warrior

As mentioned, the reverb was just a mechanical delay line.......the audio was converted to sound waves thru a coiled spring, then received and converted back to an electrical signal to the speaker, or just a mechaanical speaker, don't know which.....

In any case, if the radio had any fidelity to start with it was certainly made worse...

Never used it in the day...i put in a FM stereo add-on, it had a 8-track palyer too!
woo-hoo!

George

Old 06-23-2015, 06:17 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I would have to agree with it being more of a novelty in the day,
because if I ever went to a concert hall that sound like that I would be one unhappy guy.
Always reminds me of the CONE OF SILENCE

Old 06-25-2015, 10:54 PM

I have a stock reverb unit with AM radio in my '66 GTO. Works fine but doesn't really sound great especially with the stations that are available on the AM dial. Since my car is restored to original condition, I struggled with what to do for a sound system. Then one day as I was looking at some stereo equipment, I realized that a Bluetooth speaker paired with my smartphone might be just the trick. Bought a Bose Soundlink Mini which fits nicely on the rear package tray, has a rechargeable power supply and has great stereo sound. Got all my music on the smartphone and can control volume and playlists from the phone. Can also do Pandora if I choose. Been thinking about getting a second speaker for the front but haven't yet as sound from just the rear is good. When I park the car at a show, I just put speaker in the center console.

Last edited by DSMTiger; 06-25-2015 at 11:17 PM.