Old 06-06-2016, 06:01 PM

Default HEI Power and the IGN Connection

After reading the HEI threads, I'm thinking about re-wiring my HEI. Can I use the "IGN" tap for HEI power on the '71 Lemans 350? Will I still need to jump ign1 and ign2 together if I do that?

I believe it is a switched +12v source, but I'm not sure if there is +12v there during ranking/start switch position. Can someone confirm?

Someone converted the car to HEI before me, and it seemed to run OK, but during repair and refurbishing of prior hack jobs, I discovered the HEI power was tapped from a purple wire in a small diameter harness behind the distributor area. There were NO purple wires in the ignition circuit originally, so I have no idea (yet) as to where that purple wire actually comes from or is connected to.

Old 06-06-2016, 06:53 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Purple 's are generally NSS leads.

Old 06-07-2016, 10:15 AM

Default Purple wire mystery “solved” - Sort of...

I decided to un-wrap the smaller size diameter branch of the engine harness behind the distributor/firewall area, in order to see where the purple wire went. When I got far enough into it, tucked in, I discovered a 2-prong flat connector, with 1 dark blue wire and one black, which had a small pinkish what looked like a capacitor jumpered in the back of the 2-prong flat connector. This appears to be the connector for the original TCS solenoid valve (Transmission Controlled Spark for emission controls). Don’t have to worry about that, since I do not have a stock set-up.

A few more wraps off the harness, and I got to the end of the purple wire, which was attached to the HEI “+” connection. As seen in the picture, there is a yellow and black wire crimped together at the other end of the purple wire. Someone just tapped the original yellow and black “+” ignition coil wires together, and extended that to the HEI. Problem is, the black one is the original resistance wire going to the bulkhead (has pink print “resistance do not cut”). I’m surprised it did not seem to run bad, as it was using the resistor wire. But - we haven't driven it much yet.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Ignition_Wires.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	68.0 KB
ID:	430132

Ok – I still need the yellow wire (from the starter), so I can get +12v when ign. switch is in start position, correct? I got as far as removing resistance wire terminal from the bulkhead connector. All I should have to do is, replace the black resistance wire in the harness with a 12ga wire, while re-using the bulkhead terminal clip. Then reconnect the HEI end, and tap back in with the yellow starter wire, for the cranking +12v. I’ve never had or worked on an HEI ignition system up to now, so sorry to be so “basic”.

Am I on the right track?