Old 06-17-2009, 05:00 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default How to install vert weatherstripping?

I have new weatherstripping for '72 convertible top. Does any of it require adhesive? Any installation tips?

Old 06-17-2009, 08:15 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

On my 70 it seemed that none of the screw holes in the new pieces lined up with the old screw holes. It is a PITA to get them to just come together at the joints and also line up for the window glass. The screws are a pain because you have to push the rolled edge out of the way to see the holes. I don't remember using any adhesive on them. The repro pillar rubber seal was such a bad fit I cleaned up the old ones and used them again. They may have been replaced at some point because they were in real good shape. I had a leak on the drivers side pillar and went back and put a lite bead of silicone so if I ever had to take them back out it wouldn't tear them up. Plan on adjusting the windows also because they won't hit where they use to. Good Luck

Old 06-18-2009, 06:20 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Thanks. How about the header molding in the front?

Old 06-18-2009, 07:03 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

It seems to me the header just has a flat strip of dense foam. It is a self adhesive piece just stuck to the underside of the top. I think it has a few staples in it. I know when it gets wet it sqeaks until it drys out. Had to throw in a couple of pictures
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Img0347DOOR.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	79.7 KB
ID:	172096   Click image for larger version

Name:	Img0448DOOR.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	73.7 KB
ID:	172097  

Old 06-18-2009, 08:42 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I believe the front header strip should have little "pins" that go into pre drilled holes, the ends are screwed on, I also use sealant underneath the front strip

Old 06-18-2009, 09:14 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Thanks. Forrest, does the side weatherstripping get any adhesive and if yes, then what? I took one of my original sides off and there was some gooey, black tar like substance underneath.

Old 06-18-2009, 05:32 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Some of the originals I have taken off did have some kind of sealant,it sure wouldn't hurt to run a bead of some non hardening sealant (e.g.- 3m bedding and glazing compound is almost exactly what the original stuff is) along the contact area. Just some extra insurance in case you really get into a downpour!

Old 06-19-2009, 05:53 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

It's bad to get old and you can't remember anything. I looked last night and mine does have the rubber strip and not foam on it.

Old 06-19-2009, 08:21 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by GETRIDAONE View Post
It's bad to get old and you can't remember anything. I looked last night and mine does have the rubber strip and not foam on it.
Believe me. Been there myself too many times! The problem is, it doesn't get better either!