Old 04-03-2024, 03:37 PM

Default 70 12 Bolt Rear End COV code

New to the site here, not certain I can post in classifieds yet.

I pulled a 12 Bolt rear out of a 67 Camaro, decoded the stampings and it is a 1970 12 bolt COV 0602G2 stamp. It is not 100% original, but does have the original posi carrier in it.

From what I have read, this is a 1970 Camaro SS or Trans Am rear end and a pretty desirable item. I don't know about that, but would be willing to help someone doing a restoration or stock build.

Any interest in this?

Full disclosure, I do have an interested guy on another site. I just didnt think to post on a Pontiac forum.

The Following User Says Thank You to ridesdirt For This Useful Post:
Old 04-03-2024, 05:41 PM
Senior Chief

Need to post a price

Old 04-03-2024, 09:11 PM

10-4, I am working on that. I typically frequent the TC site, there is mostly first gen F body members there. That site has a "whats it worth" section, but I couldn't something similar to that here. This rear end is a little out of my wheelhouse and is actually a pretty unique piece. I was hoping for some pricing input here. If I have this in the wrong section, can you move this? Not a trouble maker, just a rookie here. Thanks

Old 04-03-2024, 09:24 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I’m interested where are you located?

Old 04-03-2024, 09:52 PM
Ultimate Warrior

www.camaros.net I don't feel is a very good site. Your Camaro community don't usually like the taller gears, they like to wind up their small blocks and like the 3.73 and higher.

Old 04-03-2024, 09:52 PM

how do I post pics here? Do I have to use a separate host site like photobucket?

Old 04-03-2024, 09:54 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Pictures of actual cleaned up condition mean a LOT.

-Axle housing tube condition, are they pitted? Just fine pits or moderate pits?
-Bottom of center housing, is it still clean cast iron or heavily rust pocked?
-Since perches have been moved, multiple pictures of the welds tell a LOT. On several 12 bolts, I've spent a full work day removing, carefully cleaning up the axle tubes of previous welds, then positioning original style leaf spring perchs, & finally tacking them on.
-Housing ends, have they been cut off for c-clip elims?

Old 04-03-2024, 10:01 PM

I am having a tough time figuring this site out. I have tried to reply to PMs, but not sure that is working. And I cant figure out how to get pics up here - no drag and drop...

I am working on a price. Located in SC near Charlotte NC, but I have the ability to ship, and I kept the crate my new rear end came in in case I needed it.

Here is some info on the rear end:
It is not 100% original. It has the stock unmodified housing and original carrier. It has a set of 4.11 gears in it, but they are for use on the 3 series carrier. Rear end has new drum brakes - 100% new. New Moser axles and 7/16" wheel studs, Moser 1350 pinion, new Moser rear cover, seals, and axle bearings. I also installed new posi springs, the clutches were good. I do have the stock cover and axles, but one axle has bearing damage. I do not have the little bracket that holds the brake line splitter...

Old 04-03-2024, 10:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 'ol Pinion head View Post
Pictures of actual cleaned up condition mean a LOT.

-Axle housing tube condition, are they pitted? Just fine pits or moderate pits?
-Bottom of center housing, is it still clean cast iron or heavily rust pocked?
-Since perches have been moved, multiple pictures of the welds tell a LOT. On several 12 bolts, I've spent a full work day removing, carefully cleaning up the axle tubes of previous welds, then positioning original style leaf spring perchs, & finally tacking them on.
-Housing ends, have they been cut off for c-clip elims?
Agree 100%, I am trying to figure out the picture issue, old dog learning new tricks here. I can read PMs here, not sure if my replies are going out. I have a really low post count here.

I am a little confused by this rear end, it does not look like the perches have been relocated. Did 1970 have the same perch width as a first gen? This rear end does measure 1" wider than a first gen rear end, which I believe is correct for 1970. I will gladly do some cleanup in a few areas to expose the condition of the steel. It sounds like axle tubes, perch area and bottom of the center section is most important???

Whoever painted it used a peculiar coating system - appears to be three part and very heavy/thick, Takes a while to get through it with a wire wheel. I could not even see the stamping on the axle tube through the "paint". Probably be Saturday this weekend before I can get around to that.

Old 04-03-2024, 10:34 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Leaf spring perches are in different spots between 1st Gen & 2nd Gen, have built a bunch of them. In the racks, currently have a similar dated (early June '70) COZ 12 bolt, & a few earlier feb- march dated COS & COT coded '70 production 12 bolts. Also a few '68 as well as early 69 dated Camaro 12 bolts.

Old 04-09-2024, 07:40 AM

Here is a better description and price:

I pulled a 12 bolt out of my 67 Camaro. It is coded COV which is a 1970 12 bolt rear end - I believe specific to 1970 SS or big block cars. Obviously the perches were relocated to fit a 1st gen, it was done correctly and welds look factory. The rear end is painted with a very heavy multi stage product, I have wire wheeled the area where the codes are stamped on the axle tube about a quarter of the way around the tube. It needs stripped and repainted. It has not been narrowed and measures 61" face to face. Does not have c clip eliminators. Has multi leaf perches. Rear end has new Moser axles, bearings and seals. New "yellow" 400 lbs posi springs, clutches looked good and work good too. New aluminum Moser cover. And new Moser 1350 pinion yoke. Has new 7/16" wheel studs. Also has new rear drum brakes - complete kit backing plates and all. Does come with new e brake cables, but not the splitter block or mounting tab for the splitter block hard lines. Axle tubes still have the factory clips for holding the hard lines.

Rear end was in my car when I bought it. It was making a little noise. When I opened it up, I replaced the parts above. The backlash was horrible at close to 0.040". I re-shimmed it when putting back together and have that down to 0.014". Gear pattern is very good and it does not make noise now. Rear end has original Eaton 3 series posi carrier with 4.11 gear set.

When I say "new" here, all parts have been run, but have less than 200 miles on them - no BS - honestly less than 200 miles.

It fit in my 67 fine, I ran 15"x8" wheels with 4-1/2" backspace and 255/60/15 tires and had no tire scrub.

$1800 pickup. I did keep the crate my new rear end came in and can ship this from my work. Picture below but have many more available upon request. I cannot figure out how to post pictures on this site, if you PM me your email address I will send pictures, and can take more of any specific areas you would like to see.

I figure I have very close to $1800 in parts in and on it. Located about an hour south of Charlotte NC. Reminder, the perches will need to be relocated to fit in a second gen Camaro.

there is a picture in this post on Nasty Z28
https://nastyz28.com/threads/1970-12...tamped.347268/

Old 04-09-2024, 09:28 AM

possible trade items

15" TT wheels

15" alum slots

17" US Rambler or Ridler

'67 doors

Dana, Baldwin, Yenko first gen hood, repop and fiberglass of course...

Old 04-13-2024, 01:32 PM
Senior Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by ridesdirt View Post
how do I post pics here? Do I have to use a separate host site like photobucket?
Here you go.

Use Manage Attachments to add photos.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	12 bolt resized.jpg
Views:	161
Size:	75.9 KB
ID:	631999  

Old 04-13-2024, 08:15 PM

Thank you!

I really did not know where to price this. Am I in the ballpark or left field?
One thing about listing something for sale, you can always go down on a price, but not up.

Old 04-14-2024, 03:32 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Location ?

Old 04-14-2024, 04:00 PM

Smile

Just south of Charlotte NC

My fault, thought i had that in the original post.

Old 04-14-2024, 05:30 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by ridesdirt View Post
Just south of Charlotte NC

My fault, thought i had that in the original post.

You posted your location in post #8 and #11.

Old 04-15-2024, 06:27 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Held for Ransom View Post
You posted your location in post #8 and #11.
woops....sorry I should have seen this...my bad.

Old 04-20-2024, 05:56 PM

Sold