Old 03-08-2018, 10:41 PM
Senior Chief

Default Old vs New parts

Finally going to get back to work on my car. Car has been sitting way to long. I’m thinking it’s time to convert the car over to a four speed. I’ve got the itch to row some gears and it’s not going away.
Anyway what are my best options? There seems to be a lot of aftermarket parts available but unsure of the quality. Meaning pedals, linkage, z-bar and such parts. I obviously will need a trans and bell housing. Am I better off looking for factory parts that a worthy of using?
Thanks in advance

Old 05-03-2018, 01:54 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I try to use as many factory parts as possible. Unless an aftermarket part fits better and/or is better quality. Most of the time, todays materials are inferior to parts that were made when America was allowed to be America.

Old 05-03-2018, 09:08 PM
Suspended

You will be cheaper off in the long run to find a complete or close to complete used setup. Sometimes it can be a lot less hassle too.

Old 05-06-2018, 04:11 PM
Ultimate Warrior

If a factory manual transmission similar GM A body Pontiac donor or non-running, missing engine, wrecked parts car can be located to buy, in many cases you can get a lot of the stuff you will need all at once and save some $.

Some things off of the parts car you may need to replace or at least rebuild but if you have to buy a lot of the larger parts and have those shipped, the shipping costs alone are going to add up!

Plus with a parts car you will have some left over stuff to sell to help offset your investment.

Old 05-16-2018, 09:55 PM
Ultimate Warrior

You may want to contact the vendor, East West parts. They are going out of business and crushing cars like crazy. They may have everything you need. Act fast on that one. I see you are in Dayton, OH. Stark Wrecking and Allota Auto parts still have quite a few old cars in their yards. Doubt you will find a trans, but pedal assemblies, and other parts may be available.

Old 05-17-2018, 06:28 AM
Senior Chief

Thanks everyone, I seem to agree on finding as much original parts as possible. Progress is slow on getting back to work on the car. Life seems to keep pulling me in another direction. mgarblik thanks for the lead. And I have not been out to Starks in years but will give him a shot.