Old 10-20-2004, 07:02 AM

I buried this question in another posting, so I thought I would ask it again on its own. Does anyone know if the steering column was painted black or the interior color when a 70 GTO optioned with the black Trans AM style Formula wheel? I know that one is a subject of debate, as highlighted in the DeMauro book, but I was wondering if anyone has "cracked the code" yet.

Also, I've heard there are different sized grips on these type of wheels: thick and thin. Which one was accurate for the 70 GTO and what is the thickness dimension to check on? Thanks.

Bob

Bob M.
1970 GTO Convertible
Originally: Sierra Yellow/Sandalwood Int/ Sandalwood Top w/ 400 4BBL Auto Trans
Currently: Red/Sandalwood Int/White Top w/ 400 4BBL Manual Trans
Built in Baltimore Plant - 1st week of Nov. 1969
Old 10-24-2004, 08:28 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Leave it to Fremont to do something different...

This brings up another anomally, the options and accessories catalog, as posted by BobsGTO, shows the UPC to be NK1 for the Formula steering wheel. Jack's source, the factory broadcast sheet, shows the same option to be NK3. This appears to be another instance where PMD changed a small detail after the catalogs were printed. Anyone have a revised '70 Accessories catalog with the correct NK3 code?

Old 10-20-2004, 10:51 AM
Ultimate Warrior

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by PB:
I may be wrong, but I don't think the formula wheel was an option until 71. You may have gotten them from a dealer in 70, but to my knowledge they started in 71. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
The Formula style steering wheel was offered for the first time in the 1970 model year (some late '69 Firebirds may have received this wheel since they were built into the '70 model year). It was sales code 464, UPC code NK1.

I can't say for sure what color the steering column was, but it wouldn't surprise me if the column was coordinated with the interior trim color.

Old 10-21-2004, 07:01 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Original Formula wheel removed from my '70 Judge.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	OriginalFormulaWheel.jpg
Views:	809
Size:	128.3 KB
ID:	6134  

Old 10-25-2004, 07:39 PM
Ultimate Warrior

My Pontiac built Judges' build sheet (listed as T.A. SPT STR WHL) and PHS only list 464. My original window sticker was tore on that side and can only read "RING WHEEL-FORMULA 464 42.13".

Old 10-22-2004, 05:56 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!NICE. I can see a little difference in the gripping but other than that............?

Quezal Gold #53 baby!

Old 10-21-2004, 05:00 PM
Senior Chief

Yeah! I'd buy one of those in a heart beat!

Old 10-25-2004, 05:20 AM
Ultimate Warrior

wow jack, that is interesting,..although I have 3/70 freemont build, I have aded the formula wheel,it is an original & I think they look super!! as others have said, mine has some of the dried up look of an older wheel but I just put a wrap on it &think it looks fine,..now, I am not the concourse type purist but do like to have my car correct as posible when adding or deleting options,..would really like to here from others with formula wheel that have sandlewood int.as to what color steering col. are. sounds as if maybe a person could get it a couple diff. ways. great post, tom

Old 10-20-2004, 07:02 AM

I buried this question in another posting, so I thought I would ask it again on its own. Does anyone know if the steering column was painted black or the interior color when a 70 GTO optioned with the black Trans AM style Formula wheel? I know that one is a subject of debate, as highlighted in the DeMauro book, but I was wondering if anyone has "cracked the code" yet.

Also, I've heard there are different sized grips on these type of wheels: thick and thin. Which one was accurate for the 70 GTO and what is the thickness dimension to check on? Thanks.

Bob

Bob M.
1970 GTO Convertible
Old 10-27-2004, 07:15 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Polarwhite,
Wondering what plant & time built is your friends '71 Judge?

From reading latest posts, am not ready to just make this a "Fremont thing", as the detailed info I previously added, is what I've had my hands on, & several of those cars were(are) original Fremont cars.

Fluke deals happen in production. To give an example, my HO GT-37 came with pebble grain black dash bezel & factory installed rally guages. The typical T-37 or GT-37 for '71, when equipped with rally guages, had woodgrain dash bezel, not the "std idiot light"/black pebble grain bezel. When I was doing the GT-37 survey in the early 90's, ran across the original owner of a '71 GT-37 that had idiot lights & wood grain dash bezel, car had never been altered. Even one of the original magazine roadtests on a '71 GT-37 shows a black pebble grain dash bezel & rally guages. My point is there is a way things were planned to be built & sometimes, asm line strayed from that guide. Believe this is what we are seeing with some body colored steering columns & factory installed Formula wheels.

Trusting buildsheets as the 100% gospel...
On buildsheets, they only note how a vehicle was supposed to be built. When certain coded parts were no longer avail, there are instances where the buildsheet called for the part but another part was used. Good example, is JW in the wheel box on buildsheets of early '71 T/A's equipped with rally wheels. The '70 1/2 code JW's were not used, but one of 2 or 3 dates of KN's were used. Have also seen this happen with buildsheets calling for JT 14x6 rally II wheels, when all plants were using KU's. Could go on & on, but one should get the point.

Old 06-11-2011, 02:49 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Default resurrection

would the black column be full gloss, semi gloss or completely flat in colour?

Old 06-12-2011, 08:01 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I think 60 degree gloss black IIRC.

Old 06-15-2011, 09:49 AM
Senior Chief

Just a quick question...Ol Pinion Head posted in post 6 that he owned an Orbit Orange 70 Judge with a red interior, anyone got a pic of it, or another with those same colours?
Just curious to see one, that's all.

Old 10-20-2004, 04:06 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I second what OPH said.

Old 10-21-2004, 02:49 AM

Thanks guys for the feedback on this issue. Ol' Pinion Head, I would appreciate it if you could measure a correct wheel circumference and let me know; I picked up one off of eBay relatively cheaply and want to make sure it is correct.

The Formula wheel was an option in 1970, but had to be ordered with power steering (probably because the wheel diameter is smaller than the other GTO wheels); I've attached a page out of the 1970 Pontiac Optional Wide-Track Accessories brochure that I've had for 20 years, that shows the Formula wheel option.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Formula_Wheel_2.jpg
Views:	472
Size:	217.3 KB
ID:	5245  

Bob M.
1970 GTO Convertible
Old 10-25-2004, 02:24 AM

Interesting anomoly. The catalog I have has a print date of September, 1969, so if someone has a later version, please let us know.

Bob M.
1970 GTO Convertible
Old 10-21-2004, 09:04 AM
Senior Chief

My 70 GTO is an original formula wheel car. You had to have the formula wheel if you also had the quick ratior steering box. My steering column is black, but that is because my interior is also. I have yet to see a 70 GTO, with the formula wheel option with a steering column in any color other than black.

As for the reproduction wheels, they certainly don't have the same feel as the originals do. I've been searching for a long time for a nice original wheel, but have been skunked so far. Most of the original, thick wheels have rips and are pretty worn down. A good, used wheel should be shiny. I got very lucky and was able to pick up a horn/button assembly with an original GTO silver arrowhead, but repros are out there.

Mike

Old 10-20-2004, 07:19 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I may be wrong, but I don't think the formula wheel was an option until 71. You may have gotten them from a dealer in 70, but to my knowledge they started in 71.

Old 10-20-2004, 09:07 AM

I had a friend that owned a 1970 in the late 70's. It was a Ram Air IV 4-spd car. He bought it from the original owner, which was also his uncle. The car had never been changed, only thing done to it at that time was services and tune ups. It had the Formula wheel, and it was an option in 1970.

I can't help you on the color, but his was all black.

Somewhat related issue, I have a great driver condition formula wheel with horn piece. That's all I have though, does anyone here have the sleeve/screws it mounts to that they'd be willing to part with? Post here or email me, address is in my profile. Be sure to remove the "_no_spam" part...... thanks.

Old 10-25-2004, 01:46 PM

As FYI, the original formula wheel on my car measures ~ 3.75" in circumference.

Jack