Old 06-22-2018, 12:29 AM
Senior Chief

Default 64 catalina convertible vs GP frames

I have a 64 cat convertible I am restoring and discovered it has a bad spot in the frame just ahead of the rear wheels. I have a line on a 64 GP and 64 cat coupe frame. I know the convertible is boxed but have read that a GP is boxed also. Does anyone know if there are any differences in the 2 frames? I have read one will bolt into the other and the wheelbase is the same but am curious if the convertible is reinforced differently than a GP.

From what I have read a coupe is just a C channel frame and would need to be boxed to work under a convertible. Is this correct? From the little bit I can find the frames are boxed along the rockers between the front and rear wheels.

Any help on this would be greatly appreciated

Old 06-22-2018, 06:17 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I know that in 65 the gp frame was the same as the convertible Catalina as I swapped my old frame fpr a GP with no issues. Pretty sure it would be the same in 64

Old 06-22-2018, 06:51 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Default frame

http://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/...87#post4498687

Old 06-22-2018, 07:16 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I hauled the '64 GP hulk you see in the picture to the scrap metal yard about three weeks ago and I didn't see any difference between it and the frames under two '63 Cat 2 dr ht cars I have. I don't know what you mean by "boxed" but the frame wasn't boxed along the frame rails between the front and rear wheels. It WAS boxed for a slight distance behind the arch over the rear axles but so are the '63 cats.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	100_4428.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	66.3 KB
ID:	486067  

Old 06-24-2018, 01:43 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I have a 1964 GP and the frame is not boxed.

Old 06-24-2018, 02:56 AM
Senior Chief

I have a '64 GP and I can confirm it's not boxed. To my knowledge, the frame of the GP is not any different than the Catalina frame for that year.

Old 06-24-2018, 06:16 AM
Senior Chief

I read this thread, but was still not quite sure. I know the dimensions shown on the chart in this thread show the convertible has different dimensions at the front but it is so little in the difference I can't see that being an issue.

In that thread it is said that the GP frame is boxed. I am starting to wonder if my understanding of the "boxed" frame is incorrect. The only picture I could find on line (gotta love these Darksiders) looked the same as mine. The section between the wheels is "boxed" with a small lip on the bottom for the transmission cross member. I know my vert is not boxed in the rear, only the small section above rear wheels like all. I did see one picture of a Bonneville convertible frame and it looked the same as mine and the GP frame I saw except for the longer rear frame rails...and those WERE boxed.

Does any one have a frame of a catalina or GP (or both) that could post a picture or two so I can compare and see if there actually is some sort of difference? If so it would be a great help and ma make finding a replacement frame a lot easier (or difficult possibly)

My car is still in its original paint and I know the frame is correct as it has all the provisions for the 3 on the tree it originally came with as well as appearing to have been a low mileage car (besides the years of sitting not being kind to the top and interior) having what appears to be original drums as well. This makes me think the frame has never been out from under the car either.

Here is a link to a GP frame and it looks the same as mine (only it's a 63). You can see where the middle appears to be boxed. Can anyone confirm the catalina to be the same?

http://www.pro-touring.com/threads/1...d-Prix-Project

Last edited by justaguy; 06-24-2018 at 06:26 AM.
Old 06-25-2018, 08:34 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

If it is boxed, you will have acces holes to the body mount bolts from front wheel to back wheel. Otherwise, it is not boxed and you will easily see body mount bolts. GP had a boxed frame

Old 06-25-2018, 11:26 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Parts book lists 64 Cat Conv frame 9773456. Same number shows for other short WB B bodies (exc wagons) with trailer option. 64 GP exc trailer frame is listed as 9773458. My book does not list trailer option frame for 64 GP.

Old 06-26-2018, 08:46 PM
Senior Chief

My frame id's definitely boxed then. I just need to confirm that the Catalina with trailer option is the same. Hopefully this means it is going to be easier to find one.

Old 06-30-2018, 08:58 PM
Senior Chief

Ok, I finally got under the car tonight and started looking around. I discovered that the rear frame rails on my car are in fact boxed. I am guessing all are boxed in the middle as ask I've seen are the same.

If trailer package shows same as convertible does anyone have a catalina that has a trailer option and can confirm if rear frame rails are boxed?

Also, is it difficult to take the boxed section out of the convertible frame and add it to the new frame if it isn't boxed? Thinking that may be the easier option...

Last edited by justaguy; 06-30-2018 at 09:30 PM.