THE LOBBY A gathering place. Introductions, sports, showin' off your ride, birthday-anniversary-milestone, achievements, family oriented humor.

Old 12-23-2022, 02:43 PM

That's three fathers too many!

Old 12-23-2022, 02:44 PM
Senior Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by 71GP76TA View Post
People weren't pussies like they are today. They didn't shut down schools and roads. I remember going out for recess at school when it was -22 with 30mph winds and it snowing sideways.. I remember riding around town and seeing snow drifts over houses. Though it never got down into the -40's. -30's was a common occurrence.
I was just going to post that. lol I walked back and forth to school in this weather. Now a days Mom waits at the bus stop with her High Schooler's in a heated car. All the Auto Shop students want to bring their cars in to fix remote starts and seat heaters. I tell all them to toughen up. But I'm just the retired Auto Shop helper, so I can get away with it.

Old 12-23-2022, 03:11 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Yer tellin' me!

She has a nice smile.

I used to walk 7 miles to school, uphill both ways, 7' of snow, mcGavin's bread bags for school...

No heated sheats or helicopter parents in those days...

Quote:
Originally Posted by higgenslake View Post
That's three fathers too many!

Old 12-23-2022, 03:18 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

As far as I'm concerned it is not a very good idea to venture out in these conditions. If that makes me less manly then so be it. Those are life threatening temperatures and the road conditions are extremely dangerous. I don't care how good of a driver a person may be, or if they have studded tires or whatever. The wild card is always the "other guy". And he's out there.

For me, it's simply not worth it to try and drive in these conditions. Not at all. Just the hassle of repairs from a collision makes it a deal breaker for me, much less being injured or killed. No thanks.

https://youtube.com/shorts/gG15nb4FWeo?feature=share
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jhein For This Useful Post:
Old 12-23-2022, 04:57 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhein View Post
As far as I'm concerned it is not a very good idea to venture out in these conditions. If that makes me less manly then so be it. Those are life threatening temperatures and the road conditions are extremely dangerous. I don't care how good of a driver a person may be, or if they have studded tires or whatever. The wild card is always the "other guy". And he's out there.

For me, it's simply not worth it to try and drive in these conditions. Not at all. Just the hassle of repairs from a collision makes it a deal breaker for me, much less being injured or killed. No thanks.

FWIW - if you don't want to go out in cold and wind "at all" - you probably wouldn't want to live where I have.

When you live with sub zero temps and wind routinely (northern MN), you accept it as a fact of life.

Back in January of 1983 we had a stretch of 10 days where the HIGH temp was -20 below. During that stretch we had wind chills in the neighborhood of -135 below.

People dressed for the occasion and went about their lives for the most part.

Was school canceled on a few days? Yes. Did we go on the weekend horse drawn sleigh ride we had planned of for weeks? No.

But most of us went to work as normal. Most of us did our routine grocery shopping.

I remember a Christmas Eve fire year's ago - my mother-in-laws neighbor. -40 or so. Should the fire department have refused to come out because it was cold? My mother-in-law made pot after pot of hot coffee for the fireman as they fought the blaze before they got it under control.

Old 12-23-2022, 05:09 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Location: 31May2013 Temporary home to the world's widest (that we know of) tornado. Lord, NO more Please...

Quote:

One danger. That has proved itself, since the beginning...

Unknown circulatory or heart issues can KILL a person working outside in this frigid weather. Your blood gets thicker. As it gets colder. If you have an artery that has a significant unknown blockage, the reduced blood flow CAN kill you!!!

Shut it off
Shut it off
Buddy, I just shut your Prius down...
Old 12-23-2022, 05:19 PM
Boost Engineer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith Seymore View Post
6 degrees now, with high winds.

Not really more than a dusting of snow but the winds are causing it to drift.

I can still get in the back garage, though - and have the heat going!

Heading back out after lunch to put the chains/plow on the tractor, and get the Chevelle ready for a new roll cage.

K
You the MAN, Keith. Best to you to all of your family and boarders.

Tom V.

Despite small distractions, there are those who will go Forward, Learning, Sharing Knowledge, Doing what they can to help others move forward.
The Following User Says Thank You to Tom Vaught For This Useful Post:
Old 12-23-2022, 05:20 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Champ View Post
FWIW - if you don't want to go out in cold and wind "at all" - you probably wouldn't want to live where I have.

When you live with sub zero temps and wind routinely (northern MN), you accept it as a fact of life.

Back in January of 1983 we had a stretch of 10 days where the HIGH temp was -20 below. During that stretch we had wind chills in the neighborhood of -135 below.

People dressed for the occasion and went about their lives for the most part.

Was school canceled on a few days? Yes. Did we go on the weekend horse drawn sleigh ride we had planned of for weeks? No.

But most of us went to work as normal. Most of us did our routine grocery shopping.

I remember a Christmas Eve fire year's ago - my mother-in-laws neighbor. -40 or so. Should the fire department have refused to come out because it was cold? My mother-in-law made pot after pot of hot coffee for the fireman as they fought the blaze before they got it under control.
Yeah, I'm not talking about emergency services. Although, under some circumstances they are interrupted. Like for example hurricanes, flooding or other natural disasters where emergency personnel can't safely get access. That's a real thing.

Also, you've lived in a place where this kind of winter weather is routine. It becomes part of life and people and the road crews are prepared for it. I grew up in Miami, FL. No winter. But, I also lived in WI for 2 years and experienced that weather. They/we/I were ready for it. Life went on at -20. But, with storms like this, people get severe winter conditions in places that are not prepared for it. Not the individuals and not the road crews. So that's a different story. I also lived in Muncie, IN. We got some snow there but not much. Then we had a storm that dropped 3 feet of snow in 24 hours. Everything stopped. It took several days to get the roads cleared in residential areas. They were just not prepared for that.

And no matter how you slice it, driving is way more dangerous in these conditions. I think that's indisputable.

But, I get that for people who live in those climates, it's just accepted.

https://youtube.com/shorts/gG15nb4FWeo?feature=share

Last edited by jhein; 12-23-2022 at 05:29 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to jhein For This Useful Post:
Old 12-23-2022, 05:52 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
But, I get that for people who live in those climates, it's just accepted.
That's all I was trying to say.

Yesterday, driving down to Madison on clear dry pavement on I90, I passed a driver with Idaho plates on (one would think they have experienced difficult conditions) that was driving 45 MPH with their 4 ways on.

My wife said that the person was "white knuckling it" (I didn't take my eyes off the road to verify).

Most likely this driver was a transplant that ended up in Idaho, not a native.

People that are afraid to drive in cold or snow, shouldn't. They just create problems for those that do.

Old 12-23-2022, 05:55 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Remember, we used to call this blizzard weather? Even our weathermen have gone nuts!

'64 GTO Tripower Hardtop (Wife's Car)
'64 GTO Tripower Post Coupe (My Car)
'99 Bonneville SE Sedan
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Dick Boneske For This Useful Post:
Old 12-23-2022, 06:19 PM

I have lived in CO all my life and have seen a lot of blizzards in my lifetime. I wish we would get a few more to chase more people out of here. Anyway the bomb cyclone we had in 2019 was one of the worst I have been through. Especially since I had to drive about 50 miles to get back home. Close to no visibility and roads were pure ice from the wind. The people who thought they could go more then 20 mph ended up in a ditch or wrecked. I dont think anyone is prepared for a blizzard/ bomb cyclone, unless you can see through snow.
This was during storm

Last edited by ta6point6; 12-23-2022 at 06:24 PM.
Old 12-23-2022, 06:19 PM
Senior Chief

I left the railroad yard in Cincinnati last night around 0001 when it was hitting pretty hard and a couple of the local hookers and drug dealers in the Camp Washington hood were still out on the job ! That’s dedication right there . It inspired me to go back into work tonight .

Old 12-23-2022, 06:47 PM
Boost Engineer

ta6point6, picture #2 reminds me of the 100+ car/truck smash-ups on the Canadian 401
highway (Detroit to Toronto) in years past with snow storms.

Be safe out there.

Tom V.

Despite small distractions, there are those who will go Forward, Learning, Sharing Knowledge, Doing what they can to help others move forward.
Old 12-23-2022, 07:00 PM

I see a report of a 50 car smashup on the Ohio turnpike due to low visibilty. Yikes, that's what I fear most about driving in interstate traffic in inclement weather.
Woke up this morning to a balmy -13 Degrees and -40 windchill. Wind blew all day and will into tomorrow. Snow is like fine powder and it looks downright Arctic outside. Conditions to improve for us starting tomorrow.
Everyone affected, be safe thru all this. Have a Merry Christmas, or at least make the best of it.

Old 12-23-2022, 07:00 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick Boneske View Post
Remember, we used to call this blizzard weather? Even our weathermen have gone nuts!
Yeah, now we have to name winter storms......

Old 12-23-2022, 08:07 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Rain started here at the farm around 12:15 this morning; it was 43 degrees F. By 1:30 A it was 26 degrees and near “white out” conditions. When we woke up this morning it was -2 F. Both cars started easily, in spite of having batteries that are technically out of date ( mine is six years old) but it took nearly 25 minutes for both to reach operating temp. Just finishing dinner after having washed all four of our puppers. The furnace is set for 68 F, but it was up to 81 with the gas fireplace on. I am so glad we spent the money to put GOOD windows in this old house!

Dr. Thomas Sowell
Old 12-23-2022, 08:36 PM
Boost Engineer

Quote:
Originally Posted by 433lemans View Post
I see a report of a 50 car smashup on the Ohio turnpike due to low visibilty. Yikes, that's what I fear most about driving in interstate traffic in inclement weather.
Woke up this morning to a balmy -13 Degrees and -40 windchill. Wind blew all day and will into tomorrow. Snow is like fine powder and it looks downright Arctic outside. Conditions to improve for us starting tomorrow.
Everyone affected, be safe thru all this. Have a Merry Christmas, or at least make the best of it.
Same deal in Michigan:

"Update:

I-94 in Berrien County has reopened after being shut down for hours after multiple crashes.
Most of the accidents are on the western side of Michigan so far.

Early on Friday 9 semis were involved in a crash.

No word yet on injuries.

Dispatch tells WSBT this was just one of the crashes that caused the east bound lane to be shutdown for about 12 miles from south of St. Joseph to Watervliet.

A Michigan State Trooper's vehicle was hit near Hartford and that Trooper is okay.

West of there, near Red Arrow Highway a firefighter was hit while working an accident on I94. We're waiting to hear if he was injured.

Update:

Michigan State Police tweeted that blizzard conditions are worsening. Motorists are requested to stay off I-94 both directions between (Berrien) New Buffalo & (Calhoun) Battle Creek until 4pm or later. Request only, not an order. Units need time to clear roadway of numerous crashes. Thank you.

Update:

Michigan State Police say a firefighter was struck while conducting traffic control, with unknown injuries on the eastbound lanes of I-94 in Lincoln Township in Berrien County.

The I-94 Berrien County corridor seeing multiple accidents from Hartford to Stevensville with the backups causing additional accidents to the Indiana line.

Original story.

Michigan State Police say a trooper is ok after the trooper's vehicle was hit on I-94. The crash happened on eastbound lanes of I-94 near Paw Paw on Friday morning.

Police say there are multiple crashes with multiple vehicles on I-94 and officials have closed a section of I-94 between St. Joseph and Watervliet.

Including two separate crashes in the same area, a 7 car pileup and a 9 semi-trailer crash near Watervliet.

Michigan State Police are asking all motorists to seek alternate routes until the I-94 roadway is reopened.

They are asking to please reconsider traveling today unless absolutely necessary.

They said today's blizzard is in full effect & traveling is extremely dangerous!"

So it is dangerous out there for Truckers, Police Officers, and Normal Drivers

Tom V.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Tom Vaught For This Useful Post:
Old 12-24-2022, 08:00 AM
Ultimate Warrior

So I've read about a 'bomb cyclone ',never heard that term before. Its 0 here now,some gusts of 20-30mph wind. Not much snow maybe 2 inches. Very few cars on my back road. I think plow went through last night as I saw a blinking yellow light. Saturday night a week ago I was coming home from a dance about 12pm. My back road is 2 lane lots of curves, hills,trees,farm land. 1 " of snow on road no vehicle tracks. I have 4wd 2500 GMC. On straight stretch I ck road for ice and how slippy by hitting brakes. Anyway someone is on my bumper at times I cannot see their headlights!! I do not use my brakes alot,still have original pads at 76k.Snowy road its unbelievable. So at sharp corner I touch my brakes,they then back off. Foolish.

Old 12-24-2022, 09:51 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I've plowed snow ss part of my work for many years. Been many a night when I couldn't see past the plow with sideways blizzard. Doesn't matter how cold it is ,how hard it's snowing, how hard the wind is blowing or what time of the night it is you head out to keep it knocked down and keep going til it finally stops so you can do a final clean up.. At least most people are home during these occasions and not clogging up the roads..So driving in this stuff to me is no big deal. After it's all done we jump on the snowmobiles and go put on some miles. Just did some upgrades on my yamaha sidewinder......250hp flash and some clutch work. Anxious to go try it out.

Old 12-24-2022, 10:16 AM
Ultimate Warrior

9:00 AM here in Southwest Ohio. Temperature is up to a balmy 0 degrees F. Supposed to be a high of +9 today. Winds have died down. I live on a street that has nearly 2 million SQ feet of warehouse space I can see from my windows. Very little truck traffic this morning and very little yesterday. Typically, one truck every 30 seconds pulls out 24/7. Yesterday, probably a dozen all day. Some people will probably be pissed their Amazon, Chewy and Croc's orders won't make it for Christmas. Temps are supposed to moderate over the next 3 days.