THE LOBBY A gathering place. Introductions, sports, showin' off your ride, birthday-anniversary-milestone, achievements, family oriented humor.

Old 01-15-2014, 01:26 PM
Senior Chief

This is a very good topic and there are a lot of great posts here.

I got my “wakeup call” when a co-worker, mentor and great friend of mine suddenly passed away due to a massive heart attack. He was in his 50s, seemingly in great health. It was very sudden and happened at home.
Obviously, his wife and two daughters were devastated, as was I.

He had been into cars most of his life. He had about 15 cars, give or take, some projects, some show cars, some drivers, and a life time collection of parts, parts cars and tools.
When it came time to start getting rid of the collection, his widow asked me for help since I knew what most everything was, and had an idea of what things were worth.
In fact, I’d been along when he had bought some of the cars and or parts in the first place.
She had absolutely no clue where to begin and her daughters had no interest in any of it. Right from the get go, I made it clear, as far as I was concerned, I didn’t want anything from the collection, and I also made it clear I didn’t want anything in return for my help. (We’ll, maybe a chance to buy the ’72 455 HO GTO but I couldn’t afford it at the time anyway) We went through everything, which was a daunting task, came up with a plan and got to work.
Wasn’t long before her relatives got involved and began to impart their advice on how she should be handling the process. Eventually, it became obvious to me that I was considered an “outsider” by the new parties involved, and as such, not to be trusted.
I figured the best thing to do was walk away and let her relatives take over, wasnt easy though.
Ultimately, they decided to auction it all off. I didn’t attend the auction.

Years later, now that I'm older, and not in fact immortal, this experience got me to thinking about what would happen if I died tomorrow? What would my wife and kids do with all my stuff? What do I want them to do with it all? Will it be easy for them to sell the stuff off, or will it be a protracted, painful process? Is it fair to leave my survivors with a huge mess?

All tough questions and what’s more, I realized I was heading down the path of being a hoarder. I had enough parts and car projects stacked up that realistically, even if I lived to be 100, I wouldn’t have enough time, money (or both) to complete them all. I had so much crap I started to forget what I had.

Time for some changes.

I began by reducing my parts collection to a more manageable size. Got rid of the junk, parts for cars I no longer or never would own, multiples of parts, ect.
I then tried to get most of the remaining items onto shelves and organized by make, model or commonality.
Once the parts were easy to get to, I labeled all the containers the parts are stored in, as well as many of the loose parts that I could. Still an on-going process.
At least this way, my wife will know what things are and it will be easier for someone setting up an estate sale – easier get it all properly organized and cataloged.
The side benefit, is that it’s now easier (for me) to find stuff!

I’ve narrowed down the car collection to the ones I really wanted and are also cherished by the wife and kids.
I also decided that if I wasn’t going to get to a car project in 2 years max, it had to go.

As for my tools, I’m not worried about those as much. I figure my wife and kids will probably want at least some of them and the rest should be easy to sell off in lots.

Just the same, I try to keep my garage very well organized so that if someone else walked in, they’d be able to easily figure out where/what everything is.
Not fun trying to sort through piles of tools, parts and debris all over the place. Been there, done that.

I know my friend never intended for things to turn out the way it did and leave his family with such a mess.
I guess life has a way of getting in the way of our plans.

Last edited by projectfolly; 01-15-2014 at 01:30 PM. Reason: sp
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to projectfolly For This Useful Post:
Old 01-15-2014, 02:01 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Its just stuff, the truth will set you free we need to all believe in the Lord like we do our junk after all he allows us to have it. Its ok to love a hobby but not to the point of being GREEDY about it .

Old 01-15-2014, 05:10 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I'm a smidge under 40 and in good health, so I know my take on this may not mean much to some of you. When I was a teenager I was a bit of a parts hoarder, always looking at cars and parts in the paper, that sort of thing.

As I got older, I noticed that an awful lot of car guys fall into one of two camps: (1) have a perfect show car that they are afraid to drive very often, and (2) guys with 20 cars, thousands of parts, and not one nice driver out of the bunch.

I decided I would focus on one car only and not do anything else until I finished that one. My 65 GTO, my first car, is finally just about done. Sure, I have a few spare parts, but if I kick it tomorrow then it's not going to be a big deal if the rest of the stuff gets thrown out.

My suggestion? Pick your favorite car, the one you want to keep for the rest of your life. Keep only those parts you realistically expect to use for that car. Finish that car and that car only. And drive that car. Drive it every chance you get. If it gets a scratch, gets dirty, a little rust pops up on the bumper, don't sweat it. Get up the next day and drive it.

Old 01-15-2014, 05:33 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I have 3 68 Firebirds, 3 spare engines, 2 V8's and an OHC, intakes and carbs for both, several extra Spint 6 parts, hoods, bumpers, fenders, emblems, grills, two extra disc brake systems, extra Muncie and shifter, 10 bolt Posi, old parts off one restoration, several columns, steering wheels, gauge clusters, and misc parts from several parted out cars.
I've found as soon as I sell or get rid of something I need it to use, as a core or to barter, and with the convertible needing a restoration at some point I tend to not get rid of much.

At least most everything I have is for one model car.
If I kick off the market will get flooded with FGF parts.

Old 01-15-2014, 08:51 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Been 49 years last week for me breathing air.

I dropped the TH400 from my brother's 1970 Judge a couple days ago. Wondering if I'm the asssumed life-long mechnic for my 2 brothers.

Think he should light his load, give it up, sell em. He's probably going to pay me in old beercans.

Old 01-15-2014, 10:54 PM
PY VIP

Lots of points of interest on this heartfelt topic.....one point that has not been touched on that relates to this concerns the internet and affects allof us now that have an email account.

I never gave it much thought until a few months ago. Like many of you I get various emails from people I don't know that pass on interesting stories or tips etc. For several years I would get a email from a guy who I assume was older and lived in Michigan and was into the older Fords. I had sold him some zddplus for his cars.

Very intelligent and knowledgeable. One day I got an email from him that stopped me in my tracks. He went on to explain he was entering a nursing home for his remaining days and this would be his very last email. He went on to state please do not respond back as he has ended his use of his computer.

Sad.......

Makes you wonder what path you will take when the time comes and if you are even allotted time to make your "fairwell" post to whoever on whatever forum etc you are part of.

Twenty five years ago, it was probably just notifying the post office marking the outside envelope deceased......

denniskirban@yahoo.com

Old 01-15-2014, 11:01 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirrotica View Post
I learned an important life lesson when I got divorced in 2001, had to sell the house and clear out a 1200 square foot pole building of things I'd been collecting for years, parts, tools, cars, because I had to move into a 1 bdrm apartment. Much of the stuff I gave away because of only having 2 weeks to clean everything out wasn't long enough to sell everything. I took 3 dump truck loads to a junkyard and got $0 for it. IT'S JUST STUFF!!!! there are other things more important than where your stuff ends up.
At least you didn't spend a little over $4,000 for a storage building to keep a bunch of worthless crap

‘22 Toyota Sequoia V8
‘23 Lexus LS500 awd
‘95 Ford F-super duty 4wd 7.3 p-stroke
& countless Jeeps & off road vehicles.
Old 01-15-2014, 11:51 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by dennis kirban View Post
........ I know a guy who is almost 80 years old and he has over 100 cars sitting and in his mind he plans to restore half of them. Most days he can't even walk out in the yard to even view them.

Sometimes its the mind that goes first and logic is long gone....

denniskirban@yahoo.com

Several months ago I met someone very similar. In his late 70's and in very poor health, he has a metal building packed with some very valuable cars, probably 25. Many have the tags that were on them 30+ years ago when he bought them. He plans to fix most of them, and showed me everyone of them. I had to keep moving things so he could get his wheelchair through the building. It was sad in a way, but it also left me feeling he at least has a positive attitude, however unrealistic it is.
On a related note, eleven years ago a friend asked me to take on an old DeSoto he had waited more than 25 years to restore. During the process it became obvious that he was terminally ill and may not ever drive it. It got to the point he was calling me from the hospital to check on the progress.
One night I called his house to talk with him and see how he was doing. His mother-in-law answered the phone and tearfully told me Paul had passed away 15 minutes earlier there in the home. I was speechless. A couple of months later his widow called and said she wanted to pay me the rest of what I was owed. I lied and told her he owed me no money, I figured it was the least I could do to help her.
Someone else ended up with the car and had me finish it a few years ago.

Old 01-16-2014, 12:10 AM
Senior Chief

I admit that I didn't read every post on this thread, but quite a few have mentioned something like:
"what do you care, you'll be dead anyway"

Totally the wrong way to look at this issue.

We may think we are saving cars and valuable parts, but our spouses and heirs will most likely see this as a huge burden to deal with after we die.
Only the most organized collections will be able to be sorted out and sold on for what they may be worth. Of course, desirable, complete running vehicles
will be able to be liquidated with some ease, but a pile of dirty ram air parts will most likely be sold as scrap.

Estate planning with a trust or at least a will is a must in this day and age (which I don't have yet BTW)

Old 01-16-2014, 01:59 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tunas73TA View Post
I admit that I didn't read every post on this thread, but quite a few have mentioned something like:
"what do you care, you'll be dead anyway"

Totally the wrong way to look at this issue.

We may think we are saving cars and valuable parts, but our spouses and heirs will most likely see this as a huge burden to deal with after we die.
Exactly!

Old 01-16-2014, 02:17 AM
Senior Chief

A friend of mine passed away over 15 years ago, not sudden but not really expected as he was winning his cancer battle it appeared.

He owned 4 GM special interest vehicles plus a large pile of spare parts, trinkets and books, new and used. His widow still has the cars, still almost all of the stuff. I did a lot of parts sorting and tagging for her about 10 years ago, and made notes about a lot of the stuff. She is in her mid 60's now and thinking maybe it's time to start doing something with all this stuff she won't ever use, and no kids that want it. I plan to do more organizing of the parts for her this year and help her sell the parts, likely on ebay or the forums. I love working with the parts side of it, I've been a parts man for 38 years, almost all of that time doing GM. It will be fun for me but I can see for anyone else they wouldn't even know where to start, it would be overwhelming for them just trying to identify it and determine it's value.

It's a great hobby but we need to make sure our hobby isn't a burden when we leave it behind for a better eternal life.

Old 01-16-2014, 05:47 PM

I am in my 50's and think about my mortality but I'm not going to obsess about it.

Have two nice cars, a lot of tools, house with a large garage, a couple sheds full of parts, few parts cars, all a fair distance from where we live.
I'm not married, no kids.
My long time SO and her kids have No interest in any of this stuff.

Cars have been pretty much my only interest all my life and will be as long as I'm alive.
I am not going to liquidate and sit in a chair and wait to die.

In my will I have left her and her kids everything.
I will also leave no debts.
I realize it will be a PITA to get rid of the stuff and I gave her two suggestions.

One, call an auction co. and have an estate sale even at pennies on the dollar it should raise 20-30K

Two, call a junkman, I guarantee someone would clean it up good for the stuff and she will have the real estate to sell.

To me, if I was going to get that kind of money, I'm going to be willing to deal with some crap I'm not interested in.
Just my feelings

Old 01-16-2014, 10:08 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

my best friend passed 5 yrs ago at 44. I was over helping his widow the other day. his garage was like the day he left this world.

Old 01-16-2014, 11:07 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I'm in my 50's and in good health, but I did let my wife know who to call to help sell the cars and parts if something happens to me. My advice was to let this person keep as much as 25% of the sales proceeds for his efforts. I believe my wife would end up with more this way and my friend would make some money--everyone wins it seems--if handled correctly.

My 2 boys don't seem interested in the old cars--not yet anyway.

Some people know all of their rights, but none of their obligations.
Old 01-16-2014, 11:58 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I think my attitude about collecting changed when I hit 55. That was the age I would have been able to retire had my former employer not changed their retirement plan. In the years prior to leaving that job, I accumulated a number of rare cars with the intention of restoring them once I retired.

I've got a different job now and expect to work until I'm at least 62. I'm a design engineer, so the work isn't physically hard and pays well, so I should easily be able to work until 62 or longer if I want. I don't think I will ever get around to restoring all of my cars, so I will begin selling a few soon.

I've always planned to be in the hobby for the long haul. I've picked up quite a few rare Pontiac engines over the years, such as SDs and 455HOs. I have always labeled pretty much everything of value with a description, where I got it, and condition. I haven't been nearly as diligent about labeling everything, but as a general rule most parts are labeled.

About two years ago, I wrote up a Word document describing each of my cars. I detail how I found it, what condition it is in, what I know of the history, what is original and what isn't, and the estimated value at the date it was written. If a friend has an interest in a specific car, I instruct anyone disposing of the car to give that person first shot.

All of this information is stored on password protected encrypted flash drives (IRONKEY). My wife and each son has one. The IRONKEYs are stored in a safe deposit box. Each flash drive has instructions regarding who they should ask for help and who to avoid. So if you've ever pi**ed me off in the past, your name will probably be on the naughty list.

I hope to enjoy the hobby for a long time, but I don't want it to become a second job. I would write more, but it's bedtime.

Mike

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to poncho-mike For This Useful Post:
Old 01-17-2014, 01:42 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by gto_ron View Post
This has been a great thread, I figure you guys are smarter than any 'experts'. The problem is 'when do I start selling off or giving away my stash of GTO and motorcycle parts?' I'm 65, good health and enjoy wrenching, restoring, paint & bodywork. I know my body is showing wear & tear, my back is troublesome.

What clued you guys into realizing it's time to minimize? Was there an incident, the loss of a close friend, poor health... I guess the list could go on for a long way.

I can't imagine not having my tools and workshop, now I'm starting to worry I'm being a hoarder and will leave a burden to my survivors.

Any advice, even bad advice, is appreciated.

I'm concerned....
Ron, I like my stuff. Dont you like yours to? This thread will make you stop and think a lot, It made me. Great thread.

Last edited by cuz68; 01-17-2014 at 02:16 AM.
Old 01-17-2014, 12:06 PM

This is a great thread, Turning 52 this year just last week my wife and I was having a beer in the garage and for the fist time in our 28 years this subject came up. I have collected 1964-67 GTO parts and cars since I was 16 years old. I have not sold much of it, so that only tells you how much is here. My wife has always supported me in the hobby and let me bring this junk home back in the day. With some good advice here. We decided in 2014 to make a list where to sell parts and cars if need be. Last couple of years we have sold about 4 project gtos, that I was never going to get to and some parts. Our son and daughter are into gtos so the cars might stay with some parts. My wife biggest thing is, she knows what some stuff is worth but not all of it. I just need to clean up and organize a little better. I work in the garage 4 nights a week and that will not change till the day I die. The people I have met in this hobby in priceless and every year at Norwalk it is a family reunion! Yes this is just stuff, but my family will tell you a story about when I bought this part or hauled this car home and they laugh! Also I do not want to burden them with a mess or stuff they do not have a clue what it is. THANKS for advice of this thread!

Old 01-17-2014, 12:26 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by ho428 View Post
I just worry my wife will sell everything for what I told her I paid for it.

That's me, too!

Been hearing "footsteps" recently. Lost my favorite sis, my dad and my best friend all in the same year. I'm getting a little high-maintenance, myself. Thank God I have a good wife.

Old 01-17-2014, 01:06 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I have bought probably six or eight "estates" over the years where they are willing to show up for the "make me an offer...PLEASE", some actually drove a long distance for one lump sum so they don't have to deal with onesy twoesy sales.

I had one guy back in the prime days of musclecars drive a state away and sold his Dads lifetime collection, a stash on a trailer and in bed of a truck for $1500...six rears out of GTOs, trim,, tachs, grills...bunch of stuff.

He was ready to go to the dump but couldn't bring himself to do it in his Fathers memory.

There was a car for sale on here some years back by friend of the family (PY member) and blah blah blah..wanted to sold to Pontiac person who would do this and that.....she gets new boyfriend and it got pushed outside and his stuff in the shop....fire sale.

You cant bank on "instructions" being carried out when you are gone....esp if new boyfriend isn't into Pontiacs....

Personally, I wouldn't dump this big a burden on any family member, or friend, not for the prices used parts are fetching now and where it may be going.

Now, cars are much easier if done and they run.

Old 01-17-2014, 02:52 PM
Suspended

It all depends on how much you like your family.