Old 02-25-2006, 10:03 PM
Senior Chief

Default Help with GTO tire ID

I have been digging thru some things and found a spare tire I must have had from one of three '70 GTO's I have owned. I want to put it on ebay but wanted to make sure what I have before listing it if possible. It looks like it has never been on the car and has the dill valve stem cap on it. Any one decipher date codes on this. Thanks in advance!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	tire1.JPG
Views:	84
Size:	205.9 KB
ID:	43786   Click image for larger version

Name:	tire2.JPG
Views:	77
Size:	207.1 KB
ID:	43787   Click image for larger version

Name:	tire3.JPG
Views:	76
Size:	199.7 KB
ID:	43788   Click image for larger version

Name:	tire4.JPG
Views:	75
Size:	195.1 KB
ID:	43789   Click image for larger version

Name:	tire6.JPG
Views:	69
Size:	182.2 KB
ID:	43790  

Old 02-25-2006, 10:31 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

I know how to decipher date codes, but the pics you show do not display the serial number. The serial number is a 10 digit series of letters and numbers that are cast into the inside sidewall just by the edge of the rim. The last three digits are the week and the year of production. IE: 340 would be the 34th week of 1970. The first two digits of the last three digits is the sequential week of the year. The last digit is the year.

Old 02-25-2006, 10:56 PM
Senior Chief

These are the only numbers on the backside of the tire. Hope these mean something. Thanks!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	tire7.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	228.0 KB
ID:	43797   Click image for larger version

Name:	tire8.jpg
Views:	69
Size:	199.2 KB
ID:	43798  

Old 02-26-2006, 12:28 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

That is really strange. The 10 digit serial number is a DOT requirement. Sometimes the first part of the serial number had raised letters/numbers (cast into the sidewall) and last portion had the final numbers inset into the sidewall (like the ones that you have in your second set of pics). The inset was due to a plate being put into the mold that created the sunken digits. The last three digits (142) in your pics may mean the fourteenth week of 1972, but I can't say for sure without the rest of the serial number.

Old 02-26-2006, 12:30 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

In case you find someone that is looking for another tire/wheel, I have a G70-14 Uniroyal whitewall on a Ralley II in my attic. It came from a Pontiac dealership attic and was never mounted on a car. It has no surface rust on the wheel and no "witness" marks around the stud holes. I've thought about putting it on eBay too.

Old 02-26-2006, 01:23 PM
Ultimate Warrior

First off, what is the coding on the Rally II?

Old 02-26-2006, 01:59 PM
Senior Chief

Can you see what the code is with the tire on the wheel? The trim ring has never been removed.

Old 02-26-2006, 03:43 PM
Senior Chief

Here is a picture of another rim I found with the spare.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	rim2.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	228.3 KB
ID:	43865  

Old 02-26-2006, 06:02 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Well, I would guess that the last pictured Rally II has a HN code, near the valve stem hole. The identifying code is located by the valve stem and may possibly be able to be seen without moving the trim ring. That earlier rim/tire pictured may be a JA, JC or JL wheel. Price is going to depend on the rims' code more than the tire, in my opinion. Did spare tires come with the trim ring? Is that why you're relucant to remove? How is the trim ring attached?

Old 02-26-2006, 06:56 PM
Senior Chief

I did get the trim ring off, but I could tell it was on there good and didn't want to risk denting it getting it back on. It was pretty tight. It was held on by tabs on the back. You're right the code on the rim was JL and the code on the rim without a tire was HN. Thanks for the help!!